Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Jim Saunders said:
Like I said I had the cat under one arm, so even if I was still she usually isn't. AF has been good so far; AFMA by eye yielded -15 but it appears stable. I haven't tried FoCal yet.

Jim

My old Sigma used to be +14 but after trying the dot tune method, I got it to +9 using back button focus. You should look into it!

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
Viggo said:
I feel it's a bit soft too, BUT the expression and smoothness and feel of the shot is very very good. Sweet cat shot!

It appears the focus on the very front of the left eye and just behind right eye (camera left & right) looking at the hair above the left eye there seems to be considerable fine details. The whisker arching down into the body and a very fine hair crossing in front of it. How much more detail are we pixel peeping toms looking for :)

Upvote 0
After months of use, I can easily say this is my best lens. It focuses more consistently than my Canon 135 and 85. The color and contrast at 1.4 are incredible. Most of these images were taken with the 50A: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.594104020698554.1073742010.418533551588936&type=1

Attachments

• 08-24-14.jpg
    08-24-14.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 419
Upvote 0
The previous cat shots I have here were composed by moving the subject in front of the camera; this is a 100% crop of one composed by moving the camera at a more stationary subject. It is also stopped down to f/2.8. The lens profile in LR5 aside it is unaltered.

TL;DR This lens works.

Jim

Attachments

• in close.jpg
    in close.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 360
Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
ajfotofilmagem said:
After a few days testing Sigma 50mm Art, I can say that is the only lens (except Zeiss Otus) that is truly sharp at maximum aperture. I hear some people complaining about problems with autofocus, but frankly, any lens from any manufacturer is subject to certain units outside the calibration standard.

aj....I had to send my first lens back to B&H Photo....it focused all over the place...it just could not hit the mark consistently at f/1.4....I attempted to adjust it with my dock...and just said..."screw this, I am doing someone else's work here!"...LOL! It was totally wacked. So I did find that there is some legitimacy to the complaints from users, but instead of making 200 posts on 7 different forums ( :eek: ) I just just called up B&H..told them about the problem, which they were well versed on, (they are the best!) and they sent me another one. This second lens just needed a slight adjustment with my Sigma Lens Dock (fine tuning) and it just seems to hit the mark all the time at any focal distance.

Thanks for the compliment Distant Star.....

Upvote 0
infared said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
After a few days testing Sigma 50mm Art, I can say that is the only lens (except Zeiss Otus) that is truly sharp at maximum aperture. I hear some people complaining about problems with autofocus, but frankly, any lens from any manufacturer is subject to certain units outside the calibration standard.
aj....I had to send my first lens back to B&H Photo....it focused all over the place...it just could not hit the mark consistently at f/1.4....I attempted to adjust it with my dock...and just said..."screw this, I am doing someone else's work here!"...LOL! It was totally wacked. So I did find that there is some legitimacy to the complaints from users, but instead of making 200 posts on 7 different forums ( :eek: ) I just just called up B&H..told them about the problem, which they were well versed on, (they are the best!) and they sent me another one. This second lens just needed a slight adjustment with my Sigma Lens Dock (fine tuning) and it just seems to hit the mark all the time at any focal distance.
That's right. Sigma today produces some wonderful lenses, but still problems with autofocus above average. If Sigma resolve this, will bury its bad reputation in the past.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
ajfotofilmagem said:
infared said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
That's right. Sigma today produces some wonderful lenses, but still problems with autofocus above average. If Sigma resolve this, will bury its bad reputation in the past.

Yeah...I was able to purchase a spectacular lens...and I do mean spectacular...but I had to waste my time and energy doing a little dance. At $950 for a normal 50mm prime for one of the most popular cameras in the world..it should be coming out of the box with no question marks in everyone's heads 98% of the time. I agree!

Upvote 0