Sigma 70 Art

Great pictures - would love to see a full resolution of the spider...

Looks like spring has come to your part of the world. Not so for us. We still have a ways to go.. Enjoy it and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Thanks, Bert. Here's the full res version. This spider is about 5mm long. And very hyper.Small jumping spider.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Could that be a cranial dome behind the eyes?
Nope! From what I see it's a moth from Sesiidae (or something that I have never seen - Zygaenidae are somewhat close too but I really think it's from Sesiidae). The "cranium":))) is between the eyes. Behind the eyes is the thorax and that long belly behind you can call abdomen.
Anyway - congratulations with your new lens!!! Be aware - macro-photography could be very contagious/persistent thing: I know this by myself (only after getting a birding lens I quit using the macro) and by my daughter - now she is using my back-up camera with the macro lens and can't stop taking photos in any free time (weekends).
Nice photos and I'm sure you will get much better once you get customized to to your combo!

Upvote 0
After years of frustration with the sloppy manual focusing, I have retired my 70mm ART and gone back to my Canon 100 L. The 100 L manual focusing is so superior! I also checked resolution and am surprised that the 100 L is distinctly better!

Here is a question for those who manually focus with nano USM lenses - is the focusing sloppier than USM lenses?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
After years of frustration with the sloppy manual focusing, I have retired my 70mm ART and gone back to my Canon 100 L. The 100 L manual focusing is so superior! I also checked resolution and am surprised that the 100 L is distinctly better!

Here is a question for those who manually focus with nano USM lenses - is the focusing sloppier than USM lenses?
I had to do a double take.

"Who would name himself/herself 'Chernobyl'?"

Of course that's not what you did, but I was momentarily tricked.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

That depends on how you have configured it in the camera. The defaults settings on my R5 work well enough for me, I haven't tried changing the parameters yet.

Having said that, the RF100L Macro doesn't have the manual focus override in AF-servo the other RF lenses have, I expect a firmware update for that soon. My copy of the RF100L seems to be a tiny bit better optically than my copy of the EF100L, I'm not sure if that's due to better sharpness, contrast or plain wishful thinking.

Upvote 0