Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG Art in August? [CR2]

May 26, 2012
kobeson said:
The current Sigma 85 f1.4 continually amazes me, it is tack sharp wide open, and jaw dropping stopped down to 2.8. I don't see that they could improve much on the sharpness, I guess it does have minor CA (less than Canon's seemingly) so I am surprised they are redoing it. Perhaps it is just to bring it into USB configuration?

I don't feel the need to sell mine to upgrade, I guess those without an 85 will be interested though.

I totally agree. The current 85mm is very sharp wide open so I wonder what a tweaked and more expensive version will do. I don't see the need for current owners to upgrade.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Andy_Hodapp said:
Hopefully a 24 1.4 is next, canon's isn't good enough for astrophotography and I've heard to many horror stories about the samyang.

It seems like the 35 - 50 - 85 triumvirate of primes have a host of standard FL wide aperture uses (portraiture, photojournalism, street, etc.), and thus, a sizeable market.

But a wide aperture 24 is for astro and... Environmental portraiture? Maybe street? Surely that's a smaller market, right?

- A

Upvote 0
Snodge said:
Andy_Hodapp said:
Hopefully a 24 1.4 is next, canon's isn't good enough for astrophotography and I've heard to many horror stories about the samyang.

That's a bit odd, as I've heard the opposite, mostly due to there being far less coma on the Samyang than on Canon or Zeiss lenses...

The Samyang has less coma but some copies have bad decentering because they don't have the best quality control. At about $500 it's to expensive to have to send copies back and forth.

Upvote 0
candyman said:
Looks like Sigma will have to deal with AF reports first and check this before release of the 85mm f/1.4 Art. This is not good advertisement for Sigma and their products.
My 50mm f/1.4 Art does not have AF problems. I am extremely happy with my copy.

Did you order yours on Day 1?

I pre-ordered mine about half a month ago and B&H sent me an email a few days ago basically saying "We don't have anything to ship to you but we haven't forgotten that we've charged you.."

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
tianxiaozhang said:
candyman said:
Looks like Sigma will have to deal with AF reports first and check this before release of the 85mm f/1.4 Art. This is not good advertisement for Sigma and their products.

Did you order yours on Day 1?

I pre-ordered mine about half a month ago and B&H sent me an email a few days ago basically saying "We don't have anything to ship to you but we haven't forgotten that we've charged you.."

Actually I did not order mine. There was one shop in the Netherlands that received one copy. And I was the first to get it about 3 weeks ago. I was really Lucky to get it early. Also my copy works great and I am very pleased with the results.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2012
candyman said:

no one has problems with AF of this lens except the one that has a 1D series, like me

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
Pitbullo said:
If Canon is having "year of the lens", what is Sigma having? They are really on a roll!! :)

They are having the year of the poorly focussing lens it seems ;D

If Sigma has a lens focusing problem, why have they not acknowledged it? I've seen nothing more than a couple people on a forum and one guy who evaluated one copy of the lens. If this is widespread, wouldn't Roger at Lens Rentals have said something about it?

Perhaps it's more like the year of some folks who are green with envy.

Upvote 0
aznable said:
candyman said:

no one has problems with AF of this lens except the one that has a 1D series, like me

Yeah, I've found that the focus on the 5D3 is really excellent with the new sigma, but unfortunately pretty bad with the 1D3 and 1Ds3.

Upvote 0