SIGMA announces three DC DN prime lenses for the EF-M mount

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
SIGMA has decided that the Canon EF-M mount for the EOS M system is worth investing in by announcing that three DC DN prime lenses for the EF-M mount are on the way.
The first three lenses will be:

SIGMA 16mm f/1.4 DC DN
SIGMA 30mm f/1.4 DC DN
SIGMA 56mm f/1.4 DC DN

These aren’t new lens designs from SIGMA, as they’ve existed in other mounts for quite some time, but these will certainly add choice for EOS M shooters.
Pricing and availability will come at a later date.
SIGMA also announced three new lenses for the L mount and Sony’s FE mount. There was no announcement that these lenses will be coming for the RF mount at this time as was rumoured.
image credit // DPReview

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
About time too!

Seeing as the M series are very good sellers, 3rd party lens manufacturers have been missing out.
I wonder how many M-system Users have used the Canon EF-M mount adapter to adapt Sigma or Tamron (or others') lenses for use on their M-systems? And more importantly, what that experience is like.

For example: I hear and read very good things about Sigma's MC-11 Canon EF to Sony adapter and how Sigma and Canon lenses adapt very well for use on the Sony's (perhaps I should caveat this with: at least on the A7 III)...

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Perhaps Sigma knows more than we here do about the long term future of the M mount. Good news for M owners.

I find it interesting that Sigma's last, I think, 4 lens releases have been able to be "AFMA'd" in Canon cameras with that capability. So all of the Sigma specific lens 'quirk' data can be appended to RAW files and/or adjusted for in camera. Either Sigma Engineers have solved the Canon Enigma or they have made a quiet (non-publicized) agreement with Canon. And perhaps they have a deeper agreement with them: we'll make Prime lenses for your M mount (so you don't have to invest in that) but it will help to continue selling your M mount cameras...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
As an owner of the M5, I'd be looking at the weight of the new Sigma EF-M lenses. I bought my M5 to shed weight hiking. I use it sometimes for video or portraits, but my 5DS and EOS R covers most of the other. But if the new Sigma lenses are hunky like the ART line, even in part, it would defeat the design of the M series. Regardless, this is one extra small sign for a long shelf life of the M series.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
As an owner of the M5, I'd be looking at the weight of the new Sigma EF-M lenses. I bought my M5 to shed weight hiking. I use it sometimes for video or portraits, but my 5DS and EOS R covers most of the other. But if the new Sigma lenses are hunky like the ART line, even in part, it would defeat the design of the M series.

Normally I roll my eyes at the "rawr mirrorless was supposed to be small!" comments, but in this case I think it's correct. Everything in the M series so far has been about portability and being lightweight, and the ART line doesn't really fit that.

Upvote 0
Normally I roll my eyes at the "rawr mirrorless was supposed to be small!" comments, but in this case I think it's correct. Everything in the M series so far has been about portability and being lightweight, and the ART line doesn't really fit that.

Something like the M5 and certainly an M5ii are robust and versatile enough to fit many use cases not just limited to "hiking and travel" ... I see the native ef-M lenses, particularly the 18-150 and 55-200 as ideal for that type of use case. M6 and the 55-200 is a dream for travel and I love it. But, it doesn't exactly break my brain to adapt L glass or Art glass for portraits, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Certainly great news! Though not for Canon, just as they finally released a fast standard prime for the EF-M, Sigma comes and undercuts them with an alternative with (likely) equal IQ but almost half the price!

If I look at the 30mm DC Art lens: The EF-M 32mm is by far the better lens (see the-digital-pictures.com) and I have my doubts that two additional lenses (9 lenses in 7 groups for the EF-M compatible 30mm Sigma) will do the magic trick and lift it to the IQ of the EF-M 32 with 14 lenses in 8 groups. The EF-M 32 is by far the best lens I have ever used just at f/1.4 .
EDIT: And the max. reprod ratio of 1:4 is - for me - a very strong argument for the Canon lens because it is half way to macro while the Sigma will have presumably the same 1:7 like the Sony version.

But you are right that for lots of us some minor penalty in IQ at half the price is fine: As someone who need wide angle very seldom the 16mm will be a good companion e.g. on my old EOS M (in a triple setup with M50 + EF-M 32, M50 + EF 4 70-200 in a small photo backpack - never change lenses anymore).

EDIT: And if it motivates Canon to do a EF-M 1.4 60 mm and an EF-M 2.0 85 IS both with 1:4 max. reprod. ratio - would help to increase choices!

Last edited:
Upvote 0