SIGMA announces three DC DN prime lenses for the EF-M mount

If I look at the 30mm DC Art lens: The EF-M 32mm is by far the better lens (see the-digital-pictures.com) and I have my doubts that two additional lenses (9 lenses in 7 groups for the EF-M compatible 30mm Sigma) will do the magic trick and lift it to the IQ of the EF-M 32 with 14 lenses in 8 groups. The EF-M 32 is by far the best lens I have ever used just at f/1.4 .
EDIT: And the max. reprod ratio of 1:4 is - for me - a very strong argument for the Canon lens because it is half way to macro while the Sigma will have presumably the same 1:7 like the Sony version.

But you are right that for lots of us some minor penalty in IQ at half the price is fine: As someone who need wide angle very seldom the 16mm will be a good companion e.g. on my old EOS M (in a triple setup with M50 + EF-M 32, M50 + EF 4 70-200 in a small photo backpack - never change lenses anymore).

EDIT: And if it motivates Canon to do a EF-M 1.4 60 mm and an EF-M 2.0 85 IS both with 1:4 max. reprod. ratio - would help to increase choices!

different lens construction between the 2 sigma 30mm lenses...the DN has 2 aspherical elements and 9 elements in 8 groups...
reviews have been quite good so far for all 1.4 DC DN lenses

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Good news. Not because I will buy any of these lenses but it will give Canon some pressure to release more lenses, especially Sigma's juicy 56mm 1.4
This m
Normally I roll my eyes at the "rawr mirrorless was supposed to be small!" comments, but in this case I think it's correct. Everything in the M series so far has been about portability and being lightweight, and the ART line doesn't really fit that.
I don't think these will be like Art lenses.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
If I look at the 30mm DC Art lens: The EF-M 32mm is by far the better lens (see the-digital-pictures.com) and I have my doubts that two additional lenses (9 lenses in 7 groups for the EF-M compatible 30mm Sigma) will do the magic trick and lift it to the IQ of the EF-M 32 with 14 lenses in 8 groups. The EF-M 32 is by far the best lens I have ever used just at f/1.4 .

The 30mm/1.4 DC Art lens for DSLRs is a different beast than the 30mm/1.4 DC DN Contemporary which is now coming for EF-M. The latter is much, much sharper right at maximum aperture (the former doesn't really deserve the Art designation). The-Digital-Picture doesn't have data on it because it's not available for Canon as of now, but here's DXOMark's take. The DN does suffer from heavy barrel distortion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome news, especially for the 16mm and the 56mm which have no Canon equivalent (And by equivalent I mean similar focal length, similar aperture and specifically designed for APS-C)

I'm patiently waiting for the eos M5 II to see what it brings to the table (my other option would be a Fujifilm x-t3). This sudden announcement from sigma definitely makes the canon eos-m ecosystem much more appealing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Certainly great news! Though not for Canon, just as they finally released a fast standard prime for the EF-M, Sigma comes and undercuts them with an alternative with (likely) equal IQ but almost half the price!
Well they should take it as a kick under the butt, and either do something about their price or step up their game.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You're looking at the wrong lens.

This 30mm 1.4 ist already available for other mirror less systems. It cost 60% of what the Cano 32mm 1.4 costs in Germany and weights 110% of the Canon lens. For a system build like the M that's all about portability and affordability, I can see this as quite fierce competition for Canon. Especially since the reviews seem to indicate excellent performance.

And that 16mm 1.4 ist awesome for astro nightscapes. When I was looking for a wide, fast prime for my 90D, I was really envious of that lens. The closest you could get for DSLR was the Samyang 16mm 2.0 and that's a whole stop slower! I believe that situation hasn't changed.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
wonder which EF-M lens IDs Sigma will spoof for these lenses to make reverse-engineered AF and lens-mount communications plus dependent functionality on EOS M cameras sort of work.
Are you sure that is still how that works? Because I doubt it.

The new lenses and older Art lenses with the newest firmware seem to communicate honestly with the camera. The info screen shows that pictures are taken with a Sigma lens and it shows the correct model. And you can use in camera corrections now for a lot of them, I think.

Upvote 0
You're looking at the wrong lens.

This 30mm 1.4 ist already available for other mirror less systems. It cost 60% of what the Cano 32mm 1.4 costs in Germany and weights 110% of the Canon lens. For a system build like the M that's all about portability and affordability, I can see this as quite fierce competition for Canon. Especially since the reviews seem to indicate excellent performance.

Yes for those who look (must look) at the price. The final %-rating of DPREVIEW sees the sigma as winner but the text underneath the comparison photos finds the Canon better (why ever). My interpretation of both images from EF-M 32 and the current Sigma C series lens is that the Canon is definitly sharper from f/1.4 to f/2.8 and has much more contrast despite of the worse Canon sensor.

While the Sigma is fine for 24 MPix sensors the EF-M 32 will profit from 50 MPix APS-C sensors which IMO will come within the next two years. Not only for photo but for video too: 7680 pixel wide sensor for 4k without crop but with pixel binning. Maybe this is the reason for the optional (not lossless) compressed RAW format to keep file sizes reasonable.

The killer argument for me is that the Canon has 1:4 maximum reproduction ratio because I like close ups but I do not like changing lenses to often. In that case the M50 with EF-M 32 is by far my most versatile "one piece" solution.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..] The final %-rating of DPREVIEW sees the sigma as winner but the text underneath the comparison photos finds the Canon better (why ever). [..]

In general you can summarize any dpreview comparison as "non-Canon wins". The exception to that will at least have a "... but Canon has no camera for this lens" style of sour grapes in the article.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
In general you can summarize any dpreview comparison as "non-Canon wins". The exception to that will at least have a "... but Canon has no camera for this lens" style of sour grapes in the article.

The funny thing is: It motivates me to use my Canon gear as is and i enjoy (1) to take photos with it and (2) the results. So dpreview teaches me again and again that photography is not to discuss about the apparatus itself but think about expression and how to support it by technique.

Upvote 0
As an owner of the M5, I'd be looking at the weight of the new Sigma EF-M lenses. I bought my M5 to shed weight hiking. I use it sometimes for video or portraits, but my 5DS and EOS R covers most of the other. But if the new Sigma lenses are hunky like the ART line, even in part, it would defeat the design of the M series. Regardless, this is one extra small sign for a long shelf life of the M series.
The three DC DN prime lenses which were announced for the EF-M mount the day before yesterday already exist in µ4/3 and Sony E mount.

The 16mm weighs 405g, the 30mm 265g and the 56mm 280g. These figures are for the Sony E mount versions but the Canon EF-M versions shouldn't differ sensibly.

Upvote 0
lol. EF-M lenses are absolutely perfect. Small, good to excellent IQ, inexpensive. As should be. Will not buy any of these Sigma lenses.
I'm glad you thought that funny. Maybe the lenses are perfect for you, but not everyone.

While there are good lenses in the lineup, the zooms are slow (which really effects the autofocus). Leaving us with the option of living with it or adapting ef lenses.

The ef-m lineup is full of gaps that these help fill. There is no native portrait style lens. On the wide end, some things are easier with faster glass... Like glass or actually focusing when it gets a little dark.

I like all my ef-m lenses, but they don't all do the job when I need it. For me these 3 lenses would fill most of my needs (with my ef-m 22... I like that one too much.)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I'm glad you thought that funny. Maybe the lenses are perfect for you, but not everyone.

While there are good lenses in the lineup, the zooms are slow (which really effects the autofocus). Leaving us with the option of living with it or adapting ef lenses.

The ef-m lineup is full of gaps that these help fill. There is no native portrait style lens. On the wide end, some things are easier with faster glass... Like glass or actually focusing when it gets a little dark.

I like all my ef-m lenses, but they don't all do the job when I need it. For me these 3 lenses would fill most of my needs (with my ef-m 22... I like that one too much.)
My logic suggests there are good chances for Sigma to (eventually) release an EF-M version of 18-35/1.8 and 50-100/1.8 zooms. instant buy for me: both lenses and Canon M system. Sweet dreams.

Upvote 0