Single vs Dual card camera systems

Apr 25, 2011
Didn't film era photographers develop in their own studio/home. It doesn't sound right to me that someone would send off wedding photos to a lab when you would want to dodge and burn and whatnot.
Color film development needs very precise temperature control. For manual prints, you could ask your lab technician to burn and dodge specific ares once you have your (automatic) proof prints.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Didn't film era photographers develop in their own studio/home. It doesn't sound right to me that someone would send off wedding photos to a lab when you would want to dodge and burn and whatnot.

Even with BW, it could depend on the photographer and the lab. Some could have had film developed, contact prints made, then annotated to obtain the final prints. Not really feasible with 135 (although it was possible to have small enlargements on roll film, IIRC), but possible with 120.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Maybe. So in the meantime, keep it simple and write to two cards if your work has any genuine value. Why is this even an argument?

-pw

On 5D4/3 the SD is not fast enough. On 1DX "problem" is you have to carry twice the cards, plus you can't use second slot as overfill protection if you don't have time to swap cards.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Every person has to do what each thinks is best practice for himself as we can only be responsible for ourselves. My work has zero commercial value as I have no idea how to go into business. As such, one card does me fine. If I were in business I would have to have two cards. It would just make sense for me. I can't fault anyone for believing otherwise in their own situation.

Upvote 0
Every person has to do what each thinks is best practice for himself as we can only be responsible for ourselves. My work has zero commercial value as I have no idea how to go into business. As such, one card does me fine. If I were in business I would have to have two cards. It would just make sense for me. I can't fault anyone for believing otherwise in their own situation.

I wonder if really paranoid people wish their 2 card camera had a third slot?????

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don’t care if the author of the OP’s article or anybody else feels they need two card slots and on site backup and a wireless transfer and a digital media manager etc etc, what really pisses me off is somebody telling me I am irresponsible, not professional, etc etc if I choose a different methodology.

it is irresponsible to suggest people with different work practices, even when they have an equally unblemished record of delivering professional results, are irresponsible for not doing things the way you think they should be done.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I don’t care if the author of the OP’s article or anybody else feels they need two card slots and on site backup and a wireless transfer and a digital media manager etc etc, what really pisses me off is somebody telling me I am irresponsible, not professional, etc etc if I choose a different methodology.

it is irresponsible to suggest people with different work practices, even when they have an equally unblemished record of delivering professional results, are irresponsible for not doing things the way you think they should be done.
Agreed!

i have always claimed that a pro uses the best tool for the job, but I have never claimed that the most expensive tool is the best tool. In the real world we have budget constraints, so that means the best AFFORDABLE tool for the job, and sometimes that means a waterproof P/S camera, and sometimes even a phone!

Dual card slots? Yes, I love them and if I have them on a camera, then I will use them.... but I have a lot more cameras with one slot than 2. My most used camera at work is an Oly because small and light is by far the biggest (smallest?) requirement.

yes, I have had a card die and lost a days shooting, but for me and my workflow it just meant redoing the shots on the next site visit. A bit annoying, but nothing like trying to explain to the bride why there are no wedding pictures! That’s the point here..... just because one person’s workflow works for them does not mean that a different person can’t have a different workflow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0