Skylum aims to reinvent traditional photo editing, announces LuminarAI

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
LuminarAI empowers visual communicators to make great photos with unique AI.  Everyone can create amazing images faster while having fun.
NEW YORK, NY – September 3, 2020 — This morning, Skylum unveiled a revolutionary approach to photo editing, LuminarAI. Unlike other photo editors that take a time-consuming approach based on tools, LuminarAI focuses on results. This revolutionary application and plug-in will be released this holiday season.
LuminarAI makes complex editing easier than ever before thanks to unique AI-powered tools. LuminarAI removes boring and complex tasks without sacrificing professional quality. Artificial intelligence lets the visual artist focus on results and not the process. Everyone can make amazing photos free of complexity, yet full of creativity, thanks to artificial intelligence.
Learn more about LuminarAI

“LuminarAI will bring an entirely new, non-conventional approach to the world...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
While I guess it will be interesting to see what this actually does.....

While reading this, I started to wonder..."Am I the only one who actually ENJOYS using the development tools to bring my images to life, and add my personal touch on what I want the image to look like?"

I mean to me, using tools like On1, LR, PS, Affinity Photo, Capture One, etc.....is part of the whole process of digital ( and film after scanning) photography.

It isn't something I dread, in fact, it is just another part of the process I actually enjoy along the way of creating my imagery.

Do most other people not feel that way?

cayenne

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

While reading this, I started to wonder..."Am I the only one who actually ENJOYS using the development tools to bring my images to life, and add my personal touch on what I want the image to look like?"

I mean to me, using tools like On1, LR, PS, Affinity Photo, Capture One, etc.....is part of the whole process of digital ( and film after scanning) photography.

It isn't something I dread, in fact, it is just another part of the process I actually enjoy along the way of creating my imagery.

cayenne

I really enjoy processing my images and getting the absolute best out of them. There is a certain wee bit of pride when you make it more your own and pump some life into the image. I mostly use Capture One for my Nikon images and Lightroom for my Canon images(my Capture One licence is for Nikon only).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
For me the process is a means to an end and I wouldn't say I enjoy it as such, however I don't dislike it either. My problem with AI is the very fact it is automated and it can't read my mind so will never replace that. I tend to know exactly what I am trying to capture and how I intend it to be rendered before picking up the camera, right to the point of everythign from my lighting setup to how I intend to postprocess and final viewing intent (screen or print, not just size either but even what paper I will print on for latter I decide at creation generally). Same thing I don't like with these AI "studio" light auto processing isn't that they don't look good as many are passable results.... if that is what you envisioned. However I don't set my actual studio lights up in same manner as it is per shot scene and intention dependent. I'd love for AI to make it so I didn't need to mess about with stands/lights/modifiers/metering to get ratios between lights etc but short of knowing what I'm thinking and visualising how could it ever do that?

That is the biggest issue with automation, it guesses what you're thinking and hope it gets it right as you sell out control of process for that privilege. I've been slackware user since around '97 for that reason, not because it is easier as it has more chore "needs doing" work I suppose but it isn't a big deal for gaining control over process and never having issues because when something happens I don't want or isn't working as intended it was my doing and easily fixed by me. Same for this photo stuff in that if it doesn't do what you had in mind then good luck. Also they are based off other folks styles obviously as trained on data sets used to create them means generic style reigns which may or may not be good as could be exactly what you're after or could be the exact opposite of what you had in mind.

Funny is I never see this come up, instead the argument seems to be those who dislike progress (no-one in this thread, more in general) and prefer the hard way for sake of it, and those who don't want to learn new things or do the work and want it done for them to get a style they've seen without learning how to get it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Use BodyAI and FaceAI to gently sculpt and refine a portrait.
  • Create eyes that are rich and expressive with IrisAI.
  • Remove blemishes and imperfections naturally with SkinAI.
And add Instagram lips as well?
"Enhancement" of young peoples images posted on the internet is a curse - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54003536

Upvote 0

cayenne

When Skylum had an extensive survey a few months back I responded with the same basic premise - I actually like editing and am not interested necessarily in short cuts. I can say I would be interested in what essentially will by luminar 5 for maybe editing quick family shots that I never intended to do anything more than have nice souvenirs - but would NEVER be interested in automation for the food photography I do. I spend way too much time taking a single picture to let AI decide the corrections.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
How fast does Skylum react to new camera models? Do they have a database like Lightroom to allow me to locate photos, or should it be used as a plugin?

I enjoy editing photos to some extent, but I also have carpal tunnel in both hands and doing 2000 photos can set it off pretty quickly, so less effort and use of my hands would be a benefit.

Lightroom supposedly uses AI to develop photos with the auto lighting button, its usually a good starting point, but sometimes its a disaster. Its not truly AI because it does not learn.

I wonder if Luminar AI learns from my edits, or not.

Certainly, the price seems reasonable.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I now get the fact that this is a completely separate product, aimed at convenience for the user. But confused that it would be priced comparable with Luminar.

Is LuminarAI the next version of Luminar 4?
LuminarAI is a brand new product. It is not an upgrade to Luminar 4.
LuminarAI is an alternative to traditional photo editors in general.

That seems to conflict with their FAQ that I read. Luminar 4 is going away in a year, no more updates after a year. They will issue updates and fixes but it sounds dead to me. No word as to a Luminar 5.

"Will you continue to support Luminar 4?

We plan to ship compatibility and performance updates for Luminar 4 for another year after LuminarAI is released. We won’t charge anything for these updates.

Luminar 4 will continue to run for many years beyond that (as long as your computer meets Luminar 4’s system requirements).

We encourage you to switch to LuminarAI, though, for its revolutionary approach to photo editing. We think you’ll truly enjoy the innovative editing tools, creative inspiration. and time-saving options. "

Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2020
I'll admit that I'm a bit apprehensive because I selfishly fear that this skill I've acquired will be rendered useless, but truth be told I neither can nor should stop this from happening, so I might as well just wait and see. And to be fair, Adobe Sensei has made my life infinitely easier on Photoshop and that's where I mostly use Luminar as a plugin, so maybe it will end up being beneficial to me in the long run.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I went ahead and ordered it, my wrist is really sore tonight its hard to do any photo editing at all.

Complete topic switch here, but have you tried switching mouse-hands? Swapping back and forth really helped me. Takes a few days to get used to it; but after that it's fine.

Adjusting chair height is another, to alter angle of arms/wrist.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
There is something that feels annoying to me about this. The price is odd. There is an early adapter price but in the FAQ's there is a discount for existing users. Not clear if you really need to be an existing customer or just click that link (actually it verifies your account before applying the existing customer discount). It's not very transparent and easily missed by existing customers.. Then there is a charge for a second licence. Luminar 4 I have installed on a desktop and laptop and 2 licences was standard (as far as I remember). I think that is annoying. I think long term if they keep abandoning earlier version of the software rather than upgrading it you are not really getting much advantage over Adobe's subscription model. Add-on sales of skies and templates seems to be pushed quite a bit with it. Its good for there to be a challenger out there to Photoshop to encourage Adobe to improve Photoshop. Luminar are onto something with some of the things it can do and will be able to do. Selections have improved in photoshop but it still can't tell some simple dead obvious edges to subjects.
I think a photoediting software that can simplify they use of some of Photoshops more complex but useful abilities could impact Adobe badly. Luminar should really incorporate something like Lumenzia to make Luminosity masks more user friendly.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
There is something that feels annoying to me about this. The price is odd. There is an early adapter price but in the FAQ's there is a discount for existing users. Not clear if you really need to be an existing customer or just click that link (actually it verifies your account before applying the existing customer discount). It's not very transparent and easily missed by existing customers.. Then there is a charge for a second licence. Luminar 4 I have installed on a desktop and laptop and 2 licences was standard (as far as I remember). I think that is annoying. I think long term if they keep abandoning earlier version of the software rather than upgrading it you are not really getting much advantage over Adobe's subscription model. Add-on sales of skies and templates seems to be pushed quite a bit with it. Its good for there to be a challenger out there to Photoshop to encourage Adobe to improve Photoshop. Luminar are onto something with some of the things it can do and will be able to do. Selections have improved in photoshop but it still can't tell some simple dead obvious edges to subjects.
I think a photoediting software that can simplify they use of some of Photoshops more complex but useful abilities could impact Adobe badly. Luminar should really incorporate something like Lumenzia to make Luminosity masks more user friendly.
I clicked Craig's link. The early adopter price is 69.95, for existing customers its 59.95. It cost a extra $10 for a 2nd station. I did not go for that, I want to try it first to see if it reduces the stress on my carpal tunnel. I bought one of the special editing consoles and that hurt my wrists worse so it went back.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020

cayenne
Whats the difference if you use the one or other tool while manipulating your shots? Or did you build your own raw converter to avoid using a prefabricated look and feel to your negatives from Adobe or Canon etc?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Whats the difference if you use the one or other tool while manipulating your shots? Or did you build your own raw converter to avoid using a prefabricated look and feel to your negatives from Adobe or Canon ect?
With toold like Lightroom or photoshop, the range of possibilities is almost limitless, with the new AI software, it sounds like there is much less control but it can work as a add-in, so you can still tweak images more after you edit them with Luminar AI. I like to edit individual images, but when I have 2000 originals along with carpal tunnel, I want to reduce editing to the minimum actually required. It will be interesting to try, but I don't hold much hope. If it produces 2000 sidecars, I'm going to be very frustrated.

There was zero information given about file formats and compatibility.

Upvote 0