Skylum aims to reinvent traditional photo editing, announces LuminarAI

Mar 17, 2020
With toold like Lightroom or photoshop, the range of possibilities is almost limitless, with the new AI software, it sounds like there is much less control but it can work as a add-in, so you can still tweak images more after you edit them with Luminar AI. I like to edit individual images, but when I have 2000 originals along with carpal tunnel, I want to reduce editing to the minimum actually required. It will be interesting to try, but I don't hold much hope. If it produces 2000 sidecars, I'm going to be very frustrated.

There was zero information given about file formats and compatibility.
AI software is no different than a RAW converter - it gives you a starting point for your editing. Its utility is decided by how much more time you need to spend before getting a result you or your client likes. Many are happy just using Canon's JPEG-engine. Its no different (except in what it delivers).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The AI software is subsequent to the raw converter. that's why I will likely get a ton of sidecar files or a tiff with baked in settings when the file is transferred back to Lightroom. There is no file organizer in Luminar, it needs one to keep track of photos when you have a lot of them. Raw converters are a topic unto themselves, each one varies and some prefer one over another. Since Luminar AI is a Lightroom or Photoshop add-in, I don't know if it edits already converted tiffs or if it converts from Raw. I can only make assumptions, they provide no information. That's why there is a trial period, I'll figure out what its doing pretty quickly.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
While I guess it will be interesting to see what this actually does.....

While reading this, I started to wonder..."Am I the only one who actually ENJOYS using the development tools to bring my images to life, and add my personal touch on what I want the image to look like?"

I mean to me, using tools like On1, LR, PS, Affinity Photo, Capture One, etc.....is part of the whole process of digital ( and film after scanning) photography.

It isn't something I dread, in fact, it is just another part of the process I actually enjoy along the way of creating my imagery.

Do most other people not feel that way?

cayenne
Absolutely!
AI... Presets... Stick them up yer arse :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2015
While I guess it will be interesting to see what this actually does.....

While reading this, I started to wonder..."Am I the only one who actually ENJOYS using the development tools to bring my images to life, and add my personal touch on what I want the image to look like?"

I mean to me, using tools like On1, LR, PS, Affinity Photo, Capture One, etc.....is part of the whole process of digital ( and film after scanning) photography.

It isn't something I dread, in fact, it is just another part of the process I actually enjoy along the way of creating my imagery.

Do most other people not feel that way?

cayenne
I fully agree.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
The AI software is subsequent to the raw converter. that's why I will likely get a ton of sidecar files or a tiff with baked in settings when the file is transferred back to Lightroom. There is no file organizer in Luminar, it needs one to keep track of photos when you have a lot of them. Raw converters are a topic unto themselves, each one varies and some prefer one over another. Since Luminar AI is a Lightroom or Photoshop add-in, I don't know if it edits already converted tiffs or if it converts from Raw. I can only make assumptions, they provide no information. That's why there is a trial period, I'll figure out what its doing pretty quickly.

Actually, I'm curious IF you will be able to see what the AI did for adjustments.
I would hope so, but I'm wondering if the AI ports will act like LUTs or something analogous, to where it is applied and sure, you can adjust more around it, but you don't see what the sliders and controls did to it from the AI steps.

It should prove interesting to see how MUCH control the user retains from the "AI" manipulations and now much they will let you see what the "AI" actually did to your image.

C

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
How fast does Skylum react to new camera models? Do they have a database like Lightroom to allow me to locate photos, or should it be used as a plugin?

I enjoy editing photos to some extent, but I also have carpal tunnel in both hands and doing 2000 photos can set it off pretty quickly, so less effort and use of my hands would be a benefit.

Lightroom supposedly uses AI to develop photos with the auto lighting button, its usually a good starting point, but sometimes its a disaster. Its not truly AI because it does not learn.

I wonder if Luminar AI learns from my edits, or not.

Certainly, the price seems reasonable.

Get a shark fin style mouse. It helps tremendously with wrist fatigue. Doesn't take long for it to feel normal either.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Get a shark fin style mouse. It helps tremendously with wrist fatigue. Doesn't take long for it to feel normal either.
Arer you selling them? Are you a doctor?

Don't you think I have tried a dozen different types of ergonomic mice and due to my combination of conditions, they do not work.

BTW, carpal tunnel is not wrist fatigue. I have the issue in both my hands and my forearm from pinching in my shoulders. I also have severe neuropathy in my hands.

Its better to not tell someone what will cure your situation when they know zilch about your issues or how many expert doctors they have seen and how many tests they have endured.

Upvote 0