So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Apparently, the sky isn’t falling and Canon isn’t doomed. The first decent hands-on preview (mini review) of the Canon EOS R has hit, and the camera looks to be an excellent first step for Canon and will make still shooters quiet happy.
From Jared:
This is a HANDS ON PREVIEW of the Canon EOS R, new RF lenses and lens adapters. This is NOT A REVIEW just yet, that will be coming in the future. Should you sell all your Canon gear and move to Nikon or Sony or do you stick it out?
Here’s my take so far, this camera gets a lot right while still disappointing in some ways. But, I think it’s a very good start and will only lead to better future cameras. Now’s not the time to switch.
Jared provided some RAW files for you to play with over the weekend, you can get them here.
I’m looking forward to Jared’s real world review in a couple months time. Hopefully, by then, we’ll have one in our hands. I’m super...

Continue reading...

Sep 10, 2018
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
It seems like Jared is mellowing out a little. His other EOS R videos seemed positive.

I've heard from someone in the pro sports field who was somehow able to try it out at a couple events. He really like it and it adapted the 200-400 without problems. AF was fast. Obviously fps is not good for sports, but he liked it. He was impressed with the lack of noise compared to (the already impressive) 1dx2.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
It seems like Jared is mellowing out a little.

Maybe the cold? Just feeling under the weather. I almost didn't watch based on what I've seen before, but several of the "night of" reviews mentioned they were given production cameras, so I've been waiting for a bit more hands on take on the R. This is the first I've seen. Include some initial other impressions (Gordon Laing, TN/CN, even Kai seemed impressed), people seem to be enjoying exactly what Canon often gets right, ergonomics.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
While Jared pointed out some shortcomings with the new EOS R camera, I thought his overall impressions of same were surprisingly good. I've always found him to be a Nikon biased photographer/reviewer, so this is pretty amazing, coming from him. I think we are all somewhat anxious, at this point, to see real world short and long term reviews when they finally start shipping the R bodies and lenses in a month or two. Bring them on.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tonidavid5

EOS R5, 5D Mark IV, EOS R
Aug 29, 2016
Spain
davidmartinfotografia.com
After all the spec sheet frenzy of the early hours, these new articles/vlogs are starting to show initial but very positive feedback of what should this really all be about ... capturing great pictures with our equipment.

Bryan at the Digital Picture has posted some first-hand real-life experience with the EOS R which should clear some of the concerns about battery life out of the official CIPA numbers:
Addressing Canon EOS R Battery Life

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
After all the spec sheet frenzy of the early hours, these new articles/vlogs are starting to show initial but very positive feedback of what should this really all be about ... capturing great pictures with our equipment.

Bryan at the Digital Picture has posted some first-hand real-life experience with the EOS R which should clear some of the concerns about battery life out of the official CIPA numbers:
Addressing Canon EOS R Battery Life
Also, seems very impressed with the 28-70 f/2....

mentioned in that article and a summary by Sean:
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=28512

Flood gates appear to be opening, which is great.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
I think the EOS-R is a good starting camera. I really think Canon did not want to jeopardize (yet) the sales of the dSLR cameras and I think it was a good decision. Mirrorless cameras are still in its infancy regardless of what the pro-mirrorless crowd says.

I decided to hold off on purchasing a 5DM4 to complement my trusty 5DM3. I want to see how Canon answers the calls of 5D and 1D owners wanting a more "pro" level camera.

I think Canon's solution with their three EF adaptors are superior to what the folks at Sony and Nikon did for compatibility of older lenses. Their new R lenses are just stunning pieces of glass, and of course first-production lenses will always be pricey.

It may be a tired sentence, but give me a mirrorless version of my 5D with same analog, pushbutton controls, joystick, and dual slots, then update everything else where necessary. I like the direction that Canon is going with the EOS-R.

Until then, I will continue to happily use my 5DM3. I couldn't care less that some random Internet user of x-Camera thinks that dSLR cameras are suddenly obsolete and no longer work. Photographs coming from any of these cameras are for the most part undistinguishable in the medium they are used for so give us a break. It's only important for people like you, and no one else.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't get why anyone would be interested in this camera at the moment. It's probably a solid camera, yes. But it has a bad 4k crop, no 120 in 1080, generally not the best video functions. And the resolution isn't better than on other models. It isn't cheaper. It's a bit lighter, yes. But with the newheavy lenses it doesn't matter anymore. I don't see any reason, why I would buy this body at the moment, and go mirrorless. I'll wait if they come around with a more pro like body, that really offers something new, that gives me a reason to buy a new camera, because it does something, that other body's can't do.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I don't get why anyone would be interested in this camera at the moment. It's probably a solid camera, yes. But it has a bad 4k crop, no 120 in 1080, generally not the best video functions. And the resolution isn't better than on other models. It isn't cheaper. It's a bit lighter, yes. But with the newheavy lenses it doesn't matter anymore. I don't see any reason, why I would buy this body at the moment, and go mirrorless. I'll wait if they come around with a more pro like body, that really offers something new, that gives me a reason to buy a new camera, because it does something, that other body's can't do.

I agree they're short-comings, but they're not important to everyone. I'd prefer it to be 4k full, but video is only occasionally used by myself for example, so it wouldn't make or break my decision to buy. Other features are more important to me.. it's close, the real world FPS is probably the biggest question for me right now and how I use it (I rarely use servo tracking so it may not matter that it drops to 3fps for me).. I'm impressed with the low light performance.. I know sony sensors can do better, but I have a lot of canon mount glass

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Your statement implies the point of FF mirrorless is to push spec barriers or to be small. Consider a different perspective.

Comparing to the 5D4...

If you don't shoot video:
  • Your RF lenses have a control ring that you can customize, and you can make adjustments in 1/8th stop increments now
  • All your EF lenses can be rear ND or CPL'd and they all get a control ring now as well
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 now has Eye AF
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 now has AF points all over the frame
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 will (someday) be able to adapt non-Canon glass
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 + adaptor ring now costs ~ $2500 (depending on which one you get)
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 now has exclusive access to an industry first zoom and (possibly) Canon's first comprehensive workhorse 50 prime.
Additionally, if you do shoot video:
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 now has a tilty-flippy
  • Your mirrorless 5D4 can now output 10 bit 4:2:2
Yes, some stuff is taken away from the 5D4 experience, but so is the price.

Stop comparing to A7. Start comparing to Canon SLRs. This thing will sell very, very well.

- A

Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0