So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

I don't get why anyone would be interested in this camera at the moment. It's probably a solid camera, yes. But it has a bad 4k crop, no 120 in 1080, generally not the best video functions. And the resolution isn't better than on other models. It isn't cheaper. It's a bit lighter, yes. But with the newheavy lenses it doesn't matter anymore. I don't see any reason, why I would buy this body at the moment, and go mirrorless. I'll wait if they come around with a more pro like body, that really offers something new, that gives me a reason to buy a new camera, because it does something, that other body's can't do.

I do not know why you would buy it either. It will not fit all your Sony / Nikon lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I don't get why anyone would be interested in this camera at the moment. It's probably a solid camera, yes. But it has a bad 4k crop, no 120 in 1080, generally not the best video functions. And the resolution isn't better than on other models. It isn't cheaper. It's a bit lighter, yes. But with the newheavy lenses it doesn't matter anymore. I don't see any reason, why I would buy this body at the moment, and go mirrorless. I'll wait if they come around with a more pro like body, that really offers something new, that gives me a reason to buy a new camera, because it does something, that other body's can't do.

On the video end, I just don't care. I won't ever use it. As a stills camera, I do appreciate that in certain situations, mirrorless cameras have some benefits over DSLR (and vice versa). Since they can share all of the same accessories and lenses, it's an easy buy at some point.

The things that sound great that I really appreciate are:
- the larger, more substantial size
- very good autofocus that "just works"
- battery life was excellent in real-world use - 40% used on a pair of LPE6 batteries after a full day of shooting is great
- no blackout

Oh, on the minor but major, mechanical shutter closes when you go to swap lenses. Why on earth didn't Sony do this... I absolutely hated a speck of dust getting on the sensor during a lens swap and then leaving a big blurry dot on the next 200 photos (to answer that, I believe the theory is that the shutter is quite delicate, while the sensor is not.. but whatever. I hate it).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
Well, with these reviews from Jared, Scott, and others, we can forget about an EOS M camera sort of firesale.

And I agree with Jared's take on the imminent demise of the dslr. Not likely to see a 6D mk III now. And really, with an an up-market "R5" on the way, probably with higher megapixels, a 5D mkV or a 5DsR II both seem in jeopardy for the same reason.

Bad Canon, putting out a camera that looks like it might make me part with some money after all! :mad::cool:

Upvote 0
Not "hate" for this clown, but sadness that this sort of immature high-school-style celebrity has become an "opinion maker" for imaging. Lack of praise, or even interest, towards someone is not "hate".

And then, following the devalued use of of the word, who gives a sh*t whether he "hates" the camera or not? What does that have to do with anything? Dude, do a useful job of helping those of us who haven't used it form an opinion, based on your informed experience. Leave the silly personality show outside the door.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

Some, like me, have gone or will go mirrorless because exposure WYSIWYG through the EVF. Also really love AF point touch and drag. Also, some like me don't have an FF camera. Others who already have an FF rig such as the 5D II or III or the 6D I may be in the market for a newer model. Yes, I agree that anyone with a top-level relatively new DSLR may have no reason to switch, but people who have bought a camera in the last 3 years or so are never the target market.

Upvote 0
I think the Adapter/Filter mount will be the one thing that captures EOS mount users into the R mount the most. Truly brilliant and None of us here even thought of the possibility, Nikon didn't either. 11-24 f/4 owners, you know you saw the adjustable ND filter and drooled. I'm sure there will be graduated inserts soon also. ADJ Circular pol-Z's also. As someone who owns a lot of glass and was waiting for a direct mount 5D style body, Now I'm waiting for an EOS-R in 50 MP! I would still like a larger body, but the adapter phobia I had sure got softened!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I thought everyone might enjoy Scott Kelby's take on the camera.
https://scottkelby.com/straight-talk-qa-on-canons-eos-r-full-frame-mirrorless/
I found this especially interesting:
I crack up when people tell me “they switched to Mirrorless because they wanted a small, lightweight body” and then they buy a camera that costs five times as much and weighs 50% more than the SR2, and when you add a decent lens to their $3,000 body it virtually weighs the same as a big DSLR anyway.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I’m looking forward to Jared’s real world review in a couple months time. Hopefully, by then, we’ll have one in our hands. I’m super excited to get one and I’m sad Canon doesn’t like us enough to give us a camera to try out. :)
I gotta say, on the flipside, I'm glad Canon doesn't like you enough. I get the feeling if they did, this site would cease to exist as it us. :p

I hear a lot of people talking about the drop-in filter adapter. But this only works for EF lenses right? Can't stick on an RF lens to benefit from this, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I gotta say, on the flipside, I'm glad Canon doesn't like you enough. I get the feeling if they did, this site would cease to exist as it us. :p

I hear a lot of people talking about the drop-in filter adapter. But this only works for EF lenses right? Can't stick on an RF lens to benefit from this, right?

Yeah, they basically make clever use of the extra space. You can't attach a RF to the adapter because then there would be too much distance between the sensor and glass

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'd buy it for sure if I wasn't interested in video, but the video shortcomings hurt: big crop 4K, loads of rolling shutter, no IBIS, no real slo-mo, no zebras (that's odd, you'd think it would be easy, AND the histogram disappears during record). This camera does not emphasize video performance, it is primarily photo with video as an add-on, almost an afterthought. The flippy screen is awesome, and excellent viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Seems like a fair and balanced review. If you just shoot Canon it probably doesn't seem that negative. And some of those issues probably will be resolved with future firmware update. But the main reason I shoot mirrorless (Sony) alongside my 5d4 is silent shutter (the new canon can only do one shot at a time silent), IBIS (like stabilizing those unstabilized great Sigma lenses) and video features: AF, focus peaking, codec, crop factor in 4K etc. And a $3000 lens zoom lens I can't put on my old Canon DSLRs that is not IS, so I am thinking not the greatest low light, sports, wedding lens; more of a studio portrait lens, I'd rather use something faster than f/2 and a little longer than 70mm. Good a lot of people see a use for this camera, I certainly don't. I wanted to, to get rid of my Sony stuff and keep one set of lenses, but Canon has a long way to go.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Well, with these reviews from Jared, Scott, and others, we can forget about an EOS M camera sort of firesale.

And I agree with Jared's take on the imminent demise of the dslr. Not likely to see a 6D mk III now. And really, with an an up-market "R5" on the way, probably with higher megapixels, a 5D mkV or a 5DsR II both seem in jeopardy for the same reason.

Bad Canon, putting out a camera that looks like it might make me part with some money after all! :mad::cool:

I disagree. M5, M6, and M50 are much, much cheaper, not to mention they mount much cheaper lenses. In my opinion, eventually, mirrorless apsc will come down to the price of what apsc dslr today, where I FF will remain pricey.

In addition, price aside, EOS M does something R never will... they're fantastic small cameras!! I know that with my going on about how I dislike A7 ergonomics and how pleased I am that R usnt diminutive, I might seem like the anti small camera guy, but quite the opposite. I love small cameras as long as the rest of the system is balanced to it, particularly the lenses. I think apsc will be around for a long time.

Upvote 0

ScottO

CR Pro
Sep 16, 2014
Does anyone know if you can change the filename prefix, like we could with the 5D4? Since I shoot with multiple cameras, I like to change the prefix to distinguish their files from one another (ie. 5D4_0001.cr2/jpg). Small feature, but one that I would really miss if it's gone.

I went back and watched Jared‘s video at the 2:42 mark he is showing the menus and it does show a file name option so I would assume yes you can. Just to be sure you could email Brian at the digital picture and verify it with him.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Damn no firesale. Will need to wait longer now.

Unless you are interested in a 6DII.

Canon's getting close. The glasses-friendly viewfinder is super-kewl. There hasn't been a really glasses friendly viewfinder since the Nikon F100 (or was it 100F). Whatever...

Now all Canon needs to do is persuade Cosina to make RF versions of the 40/1.2 and 10/12/15 lenses, and I'm in.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I don't get why anyone would be interested in this camera at the moment. It's probably a solid camera, yes. But it has a bad 4k crop, no 120 in 1080, generally not the best video functions. And the resolution isn't better than on other models. It isn't cheaper. It's a bit lighter, yes. But with the new heavy lenses it doesn't matter anymore. I don't see any reason, why I would buy this body at the moment, and go mirrorless. I'll wait if they come around with a more pro like body, that really offers something new, that gives me a reason to buy a new camera, because it does something, that other body's can't do.

If it doesn't suit you, don't buy it, but do realize some people don't care about those features.

E.g. in the rare occasion I do shoot video, FHD @24fps serves me just fine.

Upvote 0