So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
As I expected, the EOS R is overall a nice camera if using it in real life, if you don't need latest 4K video features. I personally miss only the joystick and I am not so sure about this new slide bar, seems like Canon wanted something fancy for MacBook users.

That said, looking at Jared's 70s hair style, I ask myself: if the Robert Plant hair style never dies, will the (D)SLR really die? Not sure.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I decided to hold off on purchasing a 5DM4 to complement my trusty 5DM3. I want to see how Canon answers the calls of 5D and 1D owners wanting a more "pro" level camera.
Exactly what I decided to do. Shooting mostly stills, my 5D3 still serves me well, and it looks like it'll keen to survive it's official lifetime end with roughly 150.000 actuations now. Still no signs of fatigue.

For me, there is one fundamental question left open since I shoot a lot of wildlife, mostly birding: is a ML with EVF really the better option? Everybody doing wildlife knows those hours sitting in a hide, peering frequently through the viewfinder and waiting for something to happen. With an OVF you don't drain the battery doing that, but with an EVF you do. So, maybe, shooting wildlife with a ML camera means carrying substantially more batteries in the package.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Not "hate" for this clown, but sadness that this sort of immature high-school-style celebrity has become an "opinion maker" for imaging. Lack of praise, or even interest, towards someone is not "hate".

And then, following the devalued use of of the word, who gives a sh*t whether he "hates" the camera or not? What does that have to do with anything? Dude, do a useful job of helping those of us who haven't used it form an opinion, based on your informed experience. Leave the silly personality show outside the door.
I can't help wondering what the wonderful opinion-making Kardashians think of this camera...
PS: I'll place an order, no matter what youtubers preach!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Not "hate" for this clown, but sadness that this sort of immature high-school-style celebrity has become an "opinion maker" for imaging. Lack of praise, or even interest, towards someone is not "hate".

At least they stopped to unbox new gear and sniff it - or was that another clown with about the same hair style? Some years ago when I stumbled in one of those ones on Youtube I got the eery feeling that such videos may be a real factor in future climate change, because they boost the CO2 emissions of fast growing server farms required for hosting more and more of this (beep).

Well, this is the harvest of what Teletubbies implanted as seed in the brains of this generation, isn't it?

Upvote 0
With all due respect to Canon's first FF mirrorless, this one is missing a few key features but I believe in typical fashion, it will sell VERY well. As to Polin's assessment, I hold little regard. His personaity and ego rub me the wrong way and I don't hold him as any authority. He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is.

Upvote 0
As I expected, the EOS R is overall a nice camera if using it in real life, if you don't need latest 4K video features. I personally miss only the joystick and I am not so sure about this new slide bar, seems like Canon wanted something fancy for MacBook users.

The rear LCD is the joystick replacement. It’s faster and easier to select AF points through the viewfinder. Stop complaining about the joystick ommision. It’s there. If you have a thumb, you can easily and quickly change the AF point.

Upvote 0

rosw

EOS R
Sep 13, 2012
Does anyone know how the camera will work with 3th party EF lenses? Will we get all the features like it's Canon's glass? Currently 2 of my main lenses are Tamron.

hi,

currently on 6D MK 1, looking to upgrade to EOS R as well, but i have 3 third party lens and this issue has been bothering me .....

still waiting for a official video , with actual usage of third party lens on EOS R,
if anyone has it/ seen it, kindly share

thanks!

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
The rear LCD is the joystick replacement. It’s faster and easier to select AF points through the viewfinder. Stop complaining about the joystick ommision. It’s there. If you have a thumb, you can easily and quickly change the AF point.

I’m not too sure that it works with gloves in the winter, and what about underwater use? I’m still buying, but I also wish it had a small wheel around the navigation buttons and a joystick. And I’m wondering, since my nose often touches the screen, does that mean I can only shoot with AF just there it is? :geek:

Upvote 0
I’m not too sure that it works with gloves in the winter, and what about underwater use? I’m still buying, but I also wish it had a small wheel around the navigation buttons and a joystick. And I’m wondering, since my nose often touches the screen, does that mean I can only shoot with AF just there it is? :geek:

Gloves? Underwater? It’s a camera intended for use by humans. It allows you to take photographs. What did you think it was? Maybe I’m in the minority, but I generally shoot above sea level.

Also no, your thumb will select the AF point. Not your nose. Just like the joystick, only much quicker.

Upvote 0
Gloves? Underwater? It’s a camera intended for use by humans. It allows you to take photographs. What did you think it was? Maybe I’m in the minority, but I generally shoot above sea level.

I dunno. In my turn, I'm concerned if the camera works in the open space. I don't need it now, but it's good to have, you know. So it should work when I'm in a space suit. And it should do 4K@60 in the space or I switch to Sony.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

Also no, your thumb will select the AF point. Not your nose. Just like the joystick, only much quicker.

You know, some of us doesn’t live in California... 7-8 months of winter means gloves is mandatory very often...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

This is a key point -- when the number of AF points explodes like this, discrete joystick moves (e.g. left left left left up up) become quite inefficient. This is an area where Canon has to either have a very dumbed down AF grid for course joystick changes vs. the fidelity/sensitivity/speed the drag AF allows. An analogy to using joysticks vs. mice in PC gaming when FPS games got popular 20-25 years ago immediately comes to mind here.

But I fully appreciate that some folks need something that works with gloves, works underwater, etc. so yes, I hold out that Canon might put a thumbwheel and joystick 2.0 (hopefully one with some sensitivity to it) in a bigger/higher end 5-series FF mirrorless someday.

- A

Upvote 0
This is a key point -- when the number of AF points explodes like this, discrete joystick moves (e.g. left left left left up up) become quite inefficient. This is an area where Canon has to either have a very dumbed down AF grid for course joystick changes vs. the fidelity/sensitivity/speed the drag AF allows. An analogy to using joysticks vs. mice in PC gaming when FPS games got popular 20-25 years ago immediately comes to mind here.

But I fully appreciate that some folks need something that works with gloves, works underwater, etc. so yes, I hold out that Canon might put a thumbwheel and joystick 2.0 (hopefully one with some sensitivity to it) in a bigger/higher end 5-series FF mirrorless someday.

- A

True.

Besides, you can still use the D-Pad to do up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Select, Start for unlimited battery life -- CIPA standards be damned! :p

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0