So Nikon D600 is real after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Astro

studio1972 said:
I doubt weather sealing costs more than a few pennies to add, unless it's 'drop it in the bath and it's ok' weather sealing.

And the rumoured prices always seem to be miles off, so I wouldn't pay much attention to that. If it's a new sensor it will put a lot of pressure on the 5D3 price, if it's the old D3x sensor, not so much!

the rumored price for the D800 was spot on the last time.

the problem is canon prices seem to be way of these days because canon is always more expensive then expected (5D MK3, 24-70mm).

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
only 9 cross points, who knows if AF works as well

But they didn't say up to what aperture these cross points work and how they're spread - the limitation of the 5d3/1dx af system is that pattern recognition gets worse when a slower lens is used, so maybe Nikon with a more prosumer-oriented model may have more love for f5.6 lenses.

Upvote 0
idimoe said:
Sith Zombie said:
Does look pretty sweet, its even got a top panel LCD. Reading the spec list, it's also meant to have weather sealing!? How are they pulling it off? obviously it won't be top notch weather sealing, maybe a bit behind or equal to a 7D but the whole package is looking very appealing to me as I'v wanted FF for ages and was going to settle on a 5Dmkii and put up with the AF. Hmmmmmm...... I could deal with shooting Nikon and Canon.

They could be losing money on it and recouping it with fx lenses sold. Just one hypothesis I guess. I mean, it would be a good way to get people to buy into their system. I am interested for one.

Yeah, it'll probably work out quite nicely for them. Once you've got the camera, you start reading up on lenses and become more familiar with them. Then you end up with a couple and get comfortable with the whole system. Before you know it, you're selling a bit of your old canon gear to pay for nikon stuff.

I originally bought canon because I perfered the erganomics and feel, the nikon I tried at the time [can't remember which model, 6 years ago] felt horrible in my hands. However, I tried a D7000 in a local store and it felt pretty good. The build was solid and button access and placement was nice too.

Think i'll wait until both 'entry FF's' are out, check out the reviews and buy the better camera regardless of brand.

Upvote 0
[/quote]

Brand-new 24mp Sony Exmor sensor, to be shared with the upcoming Sony A99 flagship. Expect D800-level performance at 24mp. This is definitely going to break new ground; can't wait to see what Canon has up its sleeve!
[/quote]

Any reports on this?
I was thinking they might use might use a cheaper sensor: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/30/rumor-aptina-developing-a-new-full-frame-cmos-sensor-for-nikon.aspx/

Seems odd that sony would give nikon their flagship sensor for a budget model, but then again if nikon are paying for it then its up to them how they use it I guess....

Upvote 0
This sounds like a nice Camera, I don't have a lot invested in canon equipment, but it makes one scratch there head if they can give all their bodies 39PT AF and weather sealing etc, for a reasonable price compared to canon. Makes me think the old days when Jaguar cars where more expensive than say a Mercedes but were still just a ford Taurus underneath.

Upvote 0
Sith Zombie said:
Seems odd that sony would give nikon their flagship sensor for a budget model, but then again if nikon are paying for it then its up to them how they use it I guess....

It isn't if they're out to get Canon once they think they've found a weak spot in the capability of a main competitor. Nikon & Sony have different traditions and user bases thus they would be ok to go along for a while, but they would both profit from hurting Canon.

Upvote 0
J

Jettatore

Interesting. Nikon's strategy is starting to become clear. They are listening to all users, and all users never agree. Rather than go after the larger base, the majority, they are going after the portion of users that aren't getting their way so to speak with new product releases - that haven't been done yet by either side. Smart move. Canon should take notice, will make it pretty easy to figure out where Nikon will go.

Most users say they don't care about high-MP but a vehement minority base insist on it. Well, Canon went with the majority, Nikon fills the void for the minority. Somewhat similar here about a minority asking for a cheaper, entry level DSLR, and somewhat wisely, Nikon was listening and went ahead and made it. I could be on to something here or I could just need coffee.... I don't know..

Upvote 0
1) OP has to learn to post in the right forums. this is not EOS bodies rummors material.

2) off course it is real. nikonrumors.com had all but confirmed it. As a side note, Nikon's current (non discontinued) full frame line up is impressive
covering 12-36 MP and 6 models. No other camera maker in the world offers such vast full frame lineup.

i wonder what sensor? the D3x? that one had great dynamic range, much better than the 5D3, although the high ISO won't be as good as the 5D3 (from what I recall, vaguely, from DxO)

this won't be a D3x sensor. you can't extrapolate anything. If it is the D800 technology at lower MP, then it will be really really good in low light and DR.

Interesting. Nikon's strategy is starting to become clear. They are listening to all users, and all users never agree. Rather than go after the larger base, the majority, they are going after the portion of users that aren't getting their way so to speak with new product releases - that haven't been done yet by either side. Smart move. Canon should take notice, will make it pretty easy to figure out where Nikon will go.

what are you talking about. the "larger" base wasn't asking for a 3500 dollar camera. the "larger" base wants cheaper bodies to spend the money on glass instead. the "larger" base wants choice, not choices made for them.
IMO the more nikon models they produce, the more "larger" audience they will get specially if it is as affordable as rumors say.

Most users say they don't care about high-MP but a vehement minority base insist on it. Well, Canon went with the majority, Nikon fills the void for the minority
That's categorically untrue. Canon will have a high MP body and a low MP body. So will nikon. There isn't such "majority" tunning as you claim, just different needs and different time lines for both companies.

they both know they need both things or risk losing customers to the other. And if the majority doesn't want an affordable camera, then the majority just have turned into a minority ::)

Upvote 0
A

Astro

Jettatore said:
Most users say they don't care about high-MP but a vehement minority base insist on it. Well, Canon went with the majority, Nikon fills the void for the minority. Somewhat similar here about a minority asking for a cheaper, entry level DSLR, and somewhat wisely, Nikon was listening and went ahead and made it. I could be on to something here or I could just need coffee.... I don't know..

a forum as this one gives no realistic view about the customers at all.
sure not a realistic view about the majority of customers.

on forums like this one are mostly professionells or ambitious amateurs.
there are millions of customers who never visit a forum like this one.

from my real life experience (outside the internet) a cheap (affordable) FF camera is what many photographers want.

and no.. a 4 year old 5D MK2 is not a real competition to a brand new nikon modell.
canon has to deliver or many new DSLR user will buy nikon this year.

Upvote 0
from my real life experience (outside the internet) a cheap (affordable) FF camera is what many photographers want.

EXACTLY. Who wakes up in the morning and says "...if I could only buy a more expensive DSLR today than yesterday!"

camera bodies are like a car. they devaluate instantly and become obsolete shortly. they come with ridiculous capabilities few need and demand killer prices.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Sith Zombie said:

It isn't if they're out to get Canon once they think they've found a weak spot in the capability of a main competitor. Nikon & Sony have different traditions and user bases thus they would be ok to go along for a while, but they would both profit from hurting Canon.

I guess so but if thats the strategy then sony had better be careful because once/if nikon gained some market share from canon with this camera, then there's nothing to stop them from getting sensors for the next one elsewhere, leaving sony high and dry.
It does seem a partnership like this [sony making money on sensors and having a small market share, being no threat to nikon / nikon having the bigger market share] is beneficial to both parties tho. I wonder how long it will last?

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Sith Zombie said:
I wonder how long it will last?

As long as both are profiting from it.

If Sony can afford to sell so many sensors to Nikon, it means they have the production capabilities to do so. If they stop selling sensors to Nikon, their factories will have to diminish production, and it costs a lot to mantain a production plant which is not working at full potential. They would turn profits into losses, which is something they hardly will do. Differently from Canon and Nikon, Sony is not a photography-based company. They don't have so much a problem as Canikon to be market leader in the photography environment. They have their share, plus, they enjoy easy incomes from selling sensors to Nikon.

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

so i have all that nice canon glas.
but when i want to buy a FF camera i have to spend 3500 euro or buy 4 year old technology for 1800 euro.

mhm..... don´t get me wrong but the nikon lineup looks better from day to day when the rumored specs and price is correct.

if i would buy my first DSLR today... im not sure it would be a canon.

i will wait for photokina and what canon will do.
i am not buying more glas right now as im not sure if i will stick to canon.
and that´s sad.... im a canon user since the 1980s.

the 5D MK3 offers me (your mileage may vary) nothing that would let me justify the price.

i really hope canon will come up with something that excites me.
and what excites me more then video or AF improvements is.... IMAGE QUALITY.

i prefer low ISO performance over high ISO performance.
i rarely shoot above ISO 1600 and i use a tripod whenever possible.

to be honest the D800 would be better for me then the 5D MK3.
i don´t need such a high MP count.. but if you get such quality from the D800 sensor (something i did not believe) why not?
still i would prefer around 28MP and a bit more speed.

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

by the way:

Got two new, hot rumors. From reliable sources (can’t name them, can just confirm they are indeed reliable) is told that the EOS 70D (expected in September for Photokina) will move upmarket regarding features (note: I got a similar rumor at the end of May, but it was about the 7D2). Following the rumor, the EOS 70D should replace both the EOS 7D and the EOS 60D, becoming the top model of Canon’s APS-C line-up. An EOS 70D with more pro features, better construction and increased performance. That would mean that Canon is putting the x0D line-up under a new light, after having split the line with the 60D (which wasn’t really the follower of the EOS 50D) and the 7D (which, in some sense, took the X0D heritage).

But it’s getting even hotter. The EOS 7D Mark II (also expected for Photokina) is said (by my source) to be Canon’s rumoured entry-level full-frame camera!! It may sound somewhat strange that the next iteration of the 7D line will change the sensor type (bigger), but it is not entirely in the domain of absurdities. On the other hand, the 5D series has always been Canon’s full-frame line. If the 7D Mark II will be a FF camera, that would mean that Canon is introducing a new FF line-up, or that the 7D2 will be aggregated to the 5D line (sounds a little weird). Whatever, we only can wait, and conjecture.

Have a nice day (or night), wherever you are.

http://www.canonwatch.com/

a 7D as entry level FF camera would make sense.
i always wondered why canon used "7D" as name for an APS-C camera.

it would avoid a "3D" modell name for the new entry level FF and split the lineup in APS-C (xxxxD, xxxD xxD) and FF models (xD)

3D would not fit because of the usual meaning of "3D" and you would think it sits between the 1D and 5D.
9D for the entry level FF would put it behind the 7D... and im not sure that is what canon wants.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
If it's true... why not just call it 6D?

It's puzzling to turn a top APS-C into an entry-level FF while retaining the name. They're so different cameras.

Anyway, Canon's problem are sensors and pricing. Until they catch up in this regard, they can release even 12 cameras per year, it will make no difference. It's impossible to face competitor cameras if they are both better and cheaper.

Canon used to have the best glass and this could make a difference in the choice, but Nikon and 3rd-parties are catching up a lot lately.

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

Albi86 said:
If it's true... why not just call it 6D?

It's puzzling to turn a top APS-C into an entry-level FF while retaining the name. They're so different cameras.

because it is better to fix an error then repeat it. :)

they could just drop the 7D and call the new FF 6D, sure, but i was talking about this specific rumor.

as is wrote... for me it was an error from the beginning to call the camera 7D.

sure it could be a bit confusing first for those who know the original 7D was an APS-C camera.... but in the end the lineup would be straight and clear.

APS-C = xxxxD, xxxD xxD
Fullframe= xD

Upvote 0
Astro said:
and no.. a 4 year old 5D MK2 is not a real competition to a brand new nikon modell.

Thank you Astro, someone else who agree's with me, I feel like everyone else sometimes is Idiots, because they spent 2+ grand in the past 6 months on a 5D2 that there is no way canon would release something better for less money. I don't care who you are or what business your in.... once your competitor starts putting out a better or similar product for less money your are screwed if you don't do the same. Look at Sony, King of the LCD TV market for about a decade, made the best quality TV's but other brands caught up in terms of features and prices came down now to the point where Sony lost so much market share they are leaving the TV business.

Canon WAKE UP

Upvote 0
psolberg said:
1) OP has to learn to post in the right forums. this is not EOS bodies rummors material.
I'm really sorry about that. I made the post in hurry and didn't realize that I'm posting it in wrong section. I request mods to please move this thread to appropriate section.

And about camera, I can't wait later than August so if this Nikon D600 comes out by that time and canon doesn't show anything, I might just buy Nikon.

7D as new entry level make sense and it will be great.

Regards,
Deepanshu
My Flickr Photostream
My Indiegogo Fundraising Campaign

Upvote 0
Marine03 said:
Astro said:

Thank you Astro, someone else who agree's with me, I feel like everyone else sometimes is Idiots, because they spent 2+ grand in the past 6 months on a 5D2 that there is no way canon would release something better for less money. I don't care who you are or what business your in.... once your competitor starts putting out a better or similar product for less money your are screwed if you don't do the same. Look at Sony, King of the LCD TV market for about a decade, made the best quality TV's but other brands caught up in terms of features and prices came down now to the point where Sony lost so much market share they are leaving the TV business.

Canon WAKE UP

LOL, Apple says hi and makes your opinion null. Canon will do just fine.

Upvote 0
O

Orion

I need help understanding something:

IF the rumored D400 specs are true, and the camera sells for $1800, WTF is the point of spending 3500 on a 5DmkIII??????

D400/D600 specs (same question with rumored 7DmkII FF)

Sensor: 24.2 MP DX CMOS, 3.82µ pixel pitch (same as on the D3200)
Sensor Size: 23.2 x 15.4mm
Resolution: 6,016 × 4,000
Native ISO Sensitivity: 100-6,400
Boost Low ISO Sensitivity: 50
Boost High ISO Sensitivity: 12,800-25,600
Processor: EXPEED 3
Metering System: 3D Color Matrix Meter III with face recognition and a database of 30,000 images
Dust Reduction: Yes
Weather Sealing/Protection: Yes
Body Build: Full Magnesium Alloy
White Balance: New White Balance System
Shutter: Up to 1/8000 and 30 sec exposure
Shutter Durability: 200,000 cycles, self-diagnostic shutter
Camera Lag: 0.012 seconds
Storage: 1x CF slot and 1x SD slot
Viewfinder Coverage: 100%
Viewfinder Magnification: 0.94x Approx.
Speed: 8 FPS, 9 FPS with optional battery pack and Nikon D4 or alkaline batteries
Exposure Meter: 91,000 pixel RGB sensor
Built-in Flash: Yes, with Commander Mode, full CLS compatibility
Autofocus System: Advanced Multi-CAM 3500DX with 51 focus points and 15 cross-type sensors
AF Detection: Up to f/8 with 9 focus points (5 in the center, 2 on the left and right)
LCD Screen: 3.2 inch diagonal with 921,000 dots
Movie Modes: Full 1080p HD @ 30 fps max
Movie Exposure Control: Full
Movie Recording Limit: 30 minutes @ 30p, 20 minutes @ 24p
Movie Output: MOV, Compressed and Uncompressed
In-Camera HDR Capability: Yes
Two Live View Modes: One for photography and one for videography
Camera Editing: Lots of in-camera editing options with HDR capabilities
GPS: Not built-in, requires GP-1 GPS unit
Battery Type: EN-EL15
Battery Life: ~900 shots
USB Standard: 3.0
Weight: 800g (body only)
Price: $1,799 MSRP

D600
– 24.7MP Full-Frame Sensor — Could it be more perfect?
– 5fps, 2 SD card slots– ISO 100-6400 (Lo 50 – Hi 25,600)
– Built-in AF motor (so AF-S lenses won’t be mandatory)– 1080p at 30, 35, 24 — 720p at 60, 50, 30, 25
– HDMI output
– 100% viewfinder coverage for FX, 97% DX
– Just slightly lighter than the D800 (about 800g v. 900g)
– Will likely be weather sealed
– 39 AF Points
– Could be as cheap as $1500!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.