So when is the Canon EOS R3 coming?

I'm guessing it will be very similar to the R5/R6 launch. Dev-announcements from April to the full announcement in July. However, waiting on the chip issue to subside is silly (that will take years), but waiting to get the anticipated units out is reasonable. Mid July is my guess, but obviously if the units are the delay, that could go for some time.

Personally, I don't think this one will sell like hot cakes. It will do fine, but I don't see it being crazy. Many more people taking their time to decide this time around. Unlike the R5, this one will likely get boosts for early adopters, not so much the sight unseen pre-orders of the past.

I'm also curious if one of CR's informants got burned. I'd bet this was a previous date that was pushed back quietly.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Up to now I think that it might be a strong reason that the malfunction of the IBIS of the EOS R5 is not fixed yet and delays the announcement of the R3.
This is just true if the IBIS of the R3 is based on the same concept and implementation as the EOS R5.

So hopefully they can fix this issue with a firmware update and no hardware alternation is required.
There was a previous rumor about an R5 firmware update that was supposed to be release June 30. It was widely believed that this update would address IBIS issues. The firmware update was not made available yesterday, and the R3 was not announced. So it's possible that they are still working on a fix for both cameras.

But there is no reason why, since there is a delay between the announcement date and the product ship date, an announcement cannot occur prior to all issues being ironed out.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I'm not surprised by delays, but I am surprised they didn't release the full specs unless they are having an issue with one of the specs.
Anything beyond software, it's too late to be switching around. The camera has to already have been in factory production for a few months at this point to get the numbers needed for preorders alone if it is shipping this year. The fact that so many Canon ambassadors have functioning units in their hand makes it next to impossible for Canon to switch any piece of hardware in time for a release. The specs are set in stone at this point.

I think others may be on the money about the IS firmware issue, but I'm not sure even something like that would stop them from releasing the camera since they can do a day one firmware update.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I do wonder if them worrying about demand could imply the R3 will be more available to consumers than a 1-series, but maybe that's just fanciful thinking. If this was around $4500 that would open the market for this camera up significantly over the normal $6500 1-series.
Even if the R3 tops $5000, it will still be so popular that Canon will have trouble meeting demand. I think that enthusiastic amateurs and semi-pros are prepared to spend more on a camera and lenses these days. "Comfort" spending has been huge during the pandemic. People have been so bored and fed up with the restrictions, and many have been able to save more money than normal. So now they'll treat themselves to something expensive.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Up to now I think that it might be a strong reason that the malfunction of the IBIS of the EOS R5 is not fixed yet and delays the announcement of the R3.
This is just true if the IBIS of the R3 is based on the same concept and implementation as the EOS R5.

So hopefully they can fix this issue with a firmware update and no hardware alternation is required.
I don’t seem to have any IBIS issues that I’m aware of with my R5. Did it affect only certain runs in the production? What’s the issue?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It was an entertaining rumour while it lasted. No harm in not being 100% accurate. It keeps us on our toes.
Maybe Canon are trying to squeeze another 20MP onto the sensor so that I get the camera that I want. They must be reading my mind.
Yes the chip shortage is severe. Ford in Europe are badly impacted and I expect alot of other more technological companies with issues too.
Lean manufacturing is a great concept until there is a shortage.
I'm sure Canon would have liked to announce it so production issues must be major enough to delay things.
The scarcity of the R - EF adapters is a strange one because its key to people switching over.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I'm guessing it will be very similar to the R5/R6 launch. Dev-announcements from April to the full announcement in July. However, waiting on the chip issue to subside is silly (that will take years), but waiting to get the anticipated units out is reasonable. Mid July is my guess, but obviously if the units are the delay, that could go for some time.

Personally, I don't think this one will sell like hot cakes. It will do fine, but I don't see it being crazy. Many more people taking their time to decide this time around. Unlike the R5, this one will likely get boosts for early adopters, not so much the sight unseen pre-orders of the past.

I'm also curious if one of CR's informants got burned. I'd bet this was a previous date that was pushed back quietly.
Conspiracy Theory:
Maybe Canon let slip a few false announcement dates, each wrong date to a different person, to see which would end up on CR so they know who the leaker is..

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Even if the R3 tops $5000, it will still be so popular that Canon will have trouble meeting demand. I think that enthusiastic amateurs and semi-pros are prepared to spend more on a camera and lenses these days. "Comfort" spending has been huge during the pandemic. People have been so bored and fed up with the restrictions, and many have been able to save more money than normal. So now they'll treat themselves to something expensive.

Just my opinion.
Makes sense. When I got series about photography in 2003 (okay, about 24 years after purchasing my first SLR), I stretched mightily to purchase a $1000 camera. Six years later, that budget went up to $1400, and it was only three years after that I purchased my first $3k+ camera. Now, I've purchased (and sold) a used Nikon D5 for $4500 and have the R5. Today, I would have already purchased a $6k+ camera if one was available that checked off all my key "wants" (the Sony A1 doesn't do it). Undoubtedly, I'm not alone, so Canon and Nikon, get on with announcing your flagship mirrorless cameras, so that I can dump this cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Im also looking at the same lens. I have never really used my 5d3 (yes, 3!) for landscape but ill start now. Since this small business got denied for any PPP loans on a techinaclity, while the sba still is holding 25+ billion in funds, im stuck with my classic equipment.

Ill be buying Ef lenses into the near future. The RF prices are just too nuts for my tastes.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Conspiracy Theory:
Maybe Canon let slip a few false announcement dates, each wrong date to a different person, to see which would end up on CR so they know who the leaker is..

Not a conspiracy theory: That's precisely what you do to identify a leak (or a spy).

Saddam Hussein used it to identify the spy in his inner circle at the start of the second Iraq war. I remember watching the news and almost the first thing the US did was hit a specific building in Baghdad, because we had "good" intelligence Saddam was there. Years later I heard he had executed one of his people right after that. Caught by a canary trap.

• Wow
Upvote 0