So when is the Canon EOS R3 coming?

Jul 21, 2010
R3 feels like a rugged R6 with fast shutter and a test bed for R1 tech. Not a real upgrade from a gripped R5 for me.
The R3 is a 1-series body type. Have you used an integrated-grip body? The add-on grip shape is different (necessary to hold the two, smaller batteries). I used a gripped T1i/550D, then a gripped 7D, then a gripped 5DII, then a 1D X. The 1-series ergonomics (handholding, button placement) are far superior, IMO.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The R3 is a 1-series body type. Have you used an integrated-grip body? The add-on grip shape is different (necessary to hold the two, smaller batteries). I used a gripped T1i/550D, then a gripped 7D, then a gripped 5DII, then a 1D X. The 1-series ergonomics (handholding, button placement) are far superior, IMO.
I absolutely agree with this post. I have a gripped R5 and the ergonomics are not a good as my 1Dx Mk2. I will be buying a R3 and then my R5 is backup. Will consider a R1 as well when it becomes available, but I don't expect before Q1 2023 at the earliest.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I'm sure Canon would have liked to announce it so production issues must be major enough to delay things.
The scarcity of the R - EF adapters is a strange one because its key to people switching over.
Honestly a great point, if there's one thing Canon should be making, it's R - EF adapters. It's a lot more difficult for someone to buy a camera if they can't use their own lenses. Over the last year I've heard dozens of people talking about how they'd be picking up an R-series camera if they could just find an adapter to use, since they can't swallow the cost of both a camera + new lenses.

I know it's more about supply chain than factory capacity, but I do wonder if there was something Canon could do about it, like make a cheaper option with different parts or cannibalize parts going towards other products. I'm no expert on any of this, though, so they probably have their reasons why they continue to be out of stock.

I absolutely agree with this post. I have a gripped R5 and the ergonomics are not a good as my 1Dx Mk2. I will be buying a R3 and then my R5 is backup. Will consider a R1 as well when it becomes available, but I don't expect before Q1 2023 at the earliest.
It's funny because on my end, the R5 will remain my "primary" camera when I get the R3. The R5 (likely) having higher resolution means the R5 will work better for my landscape/wildlife/commercial/travel work than the (likely) 30 mp of the R3. Instead the R3 will (likely) replace my secondary camera, the 1DX Mark II, which I only use when I need two cameras on a shoot. Since the 1DX2 is lower res, I normally put the wider lens on my 1DX2, since I rarely crop my wide lens but I crop my 70-200 and 100-400 frequently.

Upvote 0
So what are the supply chain problems? The pandemic? The factory fire in Japan that affected chip manufature? Any others? They did say the factory fire would take many many months to overcome
An overview can be found at:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-g...eres-what-it-means-for-you-and-for-the-world/
A lot of the basic chips like screen drivers etc that are based on larger geometries were disproportionately affected as well as they haven't been migrated to <10nm geometries since they were already "cheap as chips" :)
Last time I recall this issue was when I was sourcing components at a global telecommunications manufacturer back in the late 90's/early 00's when manufacturers were desperate for any stock and would bulk order even if they didn't need it immediately like toilet paper during lockdown or PPE supplies when Covid-19 originally hit.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't mind when it's released but at least give us specs, so we can plan...

Canon is not going to release the specs without announcing the camera. Never have. Never will. What would they announce? If the information Craig has released is accurate, I'm surprised that that much information is available.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Honestly a great point, if there's one thing Canon should be making, it's R - EF adapters...

If you live in the U.S. set a Canon Price Watch alert for the adapters. Despite the shortage, for some reason, Canon sells "refurbished" adapters every few weeks at a bargain price.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Well, this is (unsurprising) confirmation that the R3 will be at the Tokyo Olympics:

Jeff says "There are all kinds of new features (that have yet to be disclosed to the public), but the camera is distinctly Canon, which makes it easy to pick up and start shooting with. It is like upgrading from a familiar car to a new model with all the buttons and dials where we expect them, but with more horse power and better handling."

What are the new features we haven't heard about??

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Well, this is (unsurprising) confirmation that the R3 will be at the Tokyo Olympics:

Jeff says "There are all kinds of new features (that have yet to be disclosed to the public), but the camera is distinctly Canon, which makes it easy to pick up and start shooting with. It is like upgrading from a familiar car to a new model with all the buttons and dials where we expect them, but with more horse power and better handling."

Perhaps the “resolution trick”?

Hopefully we won’t have to wait too much longer!

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020

I'm surprised that he does not mention the 1Dx3 at all - he is all in on RF. Wouldn’t a 1Dx3 trounce the R6 for top level sports?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I'm surprised that he does not mention the 1Dx3 at all - he is all in on RF. Wouldn’t a 1Dx3 trounce the R6 for top level sports?
It may not be clear from his post, but Jeff is an independent photographer who works with team USA for the Olympics. He buys all of his own gear so that was probably just his own personal preference over buying the 1DX3. I think a lot of independent people are in the same boat, where it doesn't make financial sense to invest in the EF camera system that is rapidly becoming replaced by a newer system. I'm sure he will replace his personal R6 with an R3 when it releases.

Meanwhile, the Mark IIIs being used over at Getty Images: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQx0qTJL6S4/

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

That can't be a real R3, the real ones only accept a 50mm lens! That's what all the other teasers want us to believe :)

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Canon has already made an official announcement and has a webpage. The R3 is in the hands of ambassadors and testers. Will be in Olympic venues. Canon doesnt need to send out a ton of cameras to reviewers. It is controlling the narative and marketing. Availability would be in limited supply. On July 23rd, opening ceremonies, the curtain will be raised.

Upvote 0