Some 1DX m2 video experience

Jack Douglas said:
Josh Denver said:
-The original 1DX had a uniquely ''organic'' image compared to the 5D III. It's a little difference but it really is an extremely filmic image. VERY VERY nice FULL HD.

-1DXII 4K is EXCEPTIONAL. Side by side goes head to head with highest end cinema cameras.

-1DXII 1080P has little aliasing that's not on the 1DX, and the image lost the organic feel.

-1DXII downsamples the 4K image perfectly to 2K through the HDMI output, something many don't realise. Just set the Camera to the 4K croo mode and you get the same image as the 4K downscaled to HD in post, recorded directly to ProRes HQ or LT files. This is the best direct HD way. It looks GORGEOUS. Better than C300.

-1DXII will have the same dynamic range (highlight and shadow clipping points), so no picture style can increase dynamic range however flat it looks. Just don't use high sharpness setting or high saturation that clips colour channels. Neutral -4 -2 is great, cinestyle is good for using LUTs designed for LOG but again it does NOT increase dynamic range.

-The Added Headphone jack over the 1DX is a huge addition. Never knew how could thet not include it on the 1DX.

END: 1DXII is 4K camera giving a modern sharp image and exceptional colour rendition Canon is known for. The DPAF is the cherry on top that eliminates the need for a focus puller and fiddling with rings.

Interesting comments. Does any of this apply to the 5D4, 4K 30fps? I've never done any serious video, just a little with the 6D. Now, like others since DPAF is the real draw, I wanting to do short nature (mainly bird) videos after I purchase either of these cameras.

Jack

Yes Jack, all apply to 5D IV. It's just a little 1DXII brother, only lacking three traits -120p is 720p max -4K is 30p max -1.65x crop vs bit wider 1.4ish crop.

Other wise ALL video traits, secrets, tips, settings, profiles apply exactly the same to both.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Josh,

More specifically to my needs/wants. I would really like to become involved in wildlife video as a part of my photography hobby. I am really torn between the 1DX II and 5D4 based on my typical stills cropping history, favoring 30 MPs over 20 MPs. That's an historic fact based on my almost constant use of the 300 2.8 II X2 III combo. WA video is not a factor for me.

Now that has been muddied a bit by my recent purchase of the 400 DO II where X2 gets me 800mm reach. At the moment I've been pretty impressed with 400 X2 but can't really evaluate it well since my 6D won't AF. My guess is that 800 solves a lot of my cropping issues, otherwise I did not like the idea of buying an upgrade to my 6D that is only 20 MPs (shot alongside my friend with his 1DX and judged my IQ to almost equal his).

I briefly owned a 1DII and then a 1D4 which especially won my favor for 1 series features and I was on track to buy the 1DX II by Sept. 1. I've delayed that purchase due to the hype surrounding the 5D4 since it sounds in some ways more appealing than the 1DX II.

However, lately I've been arguing with myself that AF performance at F8 will be of utmost importance to me since I'll be using 400 X2 a lot. This is looking like a very challenging decision that I'm going to have to make by spring. If there are others in the same quandary, I'd sure love to hear their views. For now 400 X1.4 is serving me well with the 6D. I will not be delaying my camera purchase past spring for sure!!

Would the video capability significantly tip the balance in this scenario towards the 1DX II?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks Josh,

More specifically to my needs/wants. I would really like to become involved in wildlife video as a part of my photography hobby. I am really torn between the 1DX II and 5D4 based on my typical stills cropping history, favoring 30 MPs over 20 MPs. That's an historic fact based on my almost constant use of the 300 2.8 II X2 III combo. WA video is not a factor for me.

Now that has been muddied a bit by my recent purchase of the 400 DO II where X2 gets me 800mm reach. At the moment I've been pretty impressed with 400 X2 but can't really evaluate it well since my 6D won't AF. My guess is that 800 solves a lot of my cropping issues, otherwise I did not like the idea of buying an upgrade to my 6D that is only 20 MPs (shot alongside my friend with his 1DX and judged my IQ to almost equal his).

I briefly owned a 1DII and then a 1D4 which especially won my favor for 1 series features and I was on track to buy the 1DX II by Sept. 1. I've delayed that purchase due to the hype surrounding the 5D4 since it sounds in some ways more appealing than the 1DX II.

However, lately I've been arguing with myself that AF performance at F8 will be of utmost importance to me since I'll be using 400 X2 a lot. This is looking like a very challenging decision that I'm going to have to make by spring. If there are others in the same quandary, I'd sure love to hear their views. For now 400 X1.4 is serving me well with the 6D. I will not be delaying my camera purchase past spring for sure!!

Would the video capability significantly tip the balance in this scenario towards the 1DX II?

Jack

Yes it would tip the balance. For widelife you will always be shooting at 4K 60p. This will give you the edge over other videos. Either for slight slowmotion or fluidity. The 5D is capped at 30p. More for cinema use.

And even if 4K 60p is a lot of data, you'll use 1080p 120p. A respectable image.

5D is 120p at 720p (that's like you get canon 1100d quality for any slowmotion).

About stills resolution yes you won't get a new WOW effect from your new camera as if you've bought a 5Ds or a D810 and went 1:1 for the first time, but in reall life I find it just that, an effect. I shoot lots of 8mp 4K stills that end up printed and in wedding albums, nothing wrong with them. And while the 1Dxii will not give you a higher resolution/zoom, it will give you quite a bit better lowlight and a bucket of dynamic range and ever so slight color POP imporovement as been reported. And of course the AF system and burst rate and buffer and all that stuff, it's a better buy for you.

I personally bought a used nikon d800 and an old sharp 28-70 2.8 to satisfy my 1:1 peeping needs. Horrible video camrera. And wasn't a good buy after all, sets on the shelf as low resolution is just doing me well. I"d use it if I got a studio shoot, fashion, billboard, other than that, it's my 1DC for everything.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks Josh,

Jack

Yes it would tip the balance. For widelife you will always be shooting at 4K 60p. This will give you the edge over other videos. Either for slight slowmotion or fluidity. The 5D is capped at 30p. More for cinema use.

And even if 4K 60p is a lot of data, you'll use 1080p 120p. A respectable image.

5D is 120p at 720p (that's like you get canon 1100d quality for any slowmotion).

About stills resolution yes you won't get a new WOW effect from your new camera as if you've bought a 5Ds or a D810 and went 1:1 for the first time, but in reall life I find it just that, an effect. I shoot lots of 8mp 4K stills that end up printed and in wedding albums, nothing wrong with them. And while the 1Dxii will not give you a higher resolution/zoom, it will give you quite a bit better lowlight and a bucket of dynamic range and ever so slight color POP imporovement as been reported. And of course the AF system and burst rate and buffer and all that stuff, it's a better buy for you.

I personally bought a used nikon d800 and an old sharp 28-70 2.8 to satisfy my 1:1 peeping needs. Horrible video camrera. And wasn't a good buy after all, sets on the shelf as low resolution is just doing me well. I"d use it if I got a studio shoot, fashion, billboard, other than that, it's my 1DC for everything.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Josh. That is pretty much what I was afraid of. I hate to give up on the lust for more MPs but everything you've outlined makes a lot of sense and I know reports are that AF F8, which is where I'll be quite a bit, is much better. And I'll have 800mm when lighting is decent where in the past I maxed at 600. To top it off I loved my few months shooting 1D4 with the lighted AF point. ;)

I'm glad the 1DX II has touch AF. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
expatinasia said:
scottkinfw said:
The videos were excellent (more than good enough for my needs anyway). The DPAF worked very well. My only complaint was that the mic in the camera body picked up the sound of the lens focusing with DPAF- very annoying.

My one question is... what software do you all use to edit the video?

Scott, you do not want to be using the in-camera microphone. Just buy yourself a good quality mic that can sit on the top of the camera using the hot shoe. Rode is very popular. Of course different types of videos require different types of microphones, and you do tend to get what you pay for. If you begin to take it seriously you may also want to consider an audio recorder with XLR inputs but for now just get a nice external shotgun style mic.

I edit my videos with Sony Vegas though it was recently purchased by another company and they may have changed the name.

Have fun.

Thank you for the tip!
Scott

Upvote 0