Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Back-Illuminated Sensor From Canon?

HTML:
<p>There is a lot of excitement today surrounding <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/06/sonys-new-%CE%B17r-ii-camera-delivers-innovative-imaging-experience-with-worlds-first-back-illuminated-35mm-full-frame-sensor/" target="_blank">Sony’s announcement of the a7R II camera body</a>. Sony has introduced the first backlit full frame image sensor, which comes in at 42.4mp.</p>
<p>About Sony’s Backlit Sensor:</p>
<blockquote><p>… the sensor’s back-illuminated structure, with an expanded circuit scale and copper wiring design, enables faster transmission speed and ensures content can be captured in high resolution without sacrificing sensitivity.  Data can also be output from the sensor at an approximately 3.5x faster rate compared to the original α7R.</p></blockquote>
<p>Many are already wondering if this is something Canon has been working? The answer is yes, <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/patent-large-back-illuminated-sensor/" target="_blank">we’ve seen Canon patents in the past</a> that talk about back-illuminated sensors.</p>
<p>We haven’t heard anything about this sort of technology appearing in an upcoming Canon DSLR. However, we have been told that we will see “big strides” in high ISO performance on the next generation full frame professional cameras, namely the EOS-1D X Mark II and EOS 5D Mark IV.</p>
<p>Kudos to Sony on what appears to be a terrific update to the A7R.</p>

Upvote 0
psolberg said:
Sunnystate said:
House fanbois must be attending some kind of conference on how to attack the new beast...
Deafening silence!
LOL

;D Accelerated training on the drawbacks of back side illuminated CMOS 101 just got popular.

;D

The usual... reliable AF tracking/ Keeper rate like everyone wants 100% keeps blazing at 14fps.... I am very happy for Sony. I just hope Canon licenses this sensor for 5d4... or heck even the 1dxII. I love my Canon glass... stuck between a rock and hard place.

Upvote 0
I'm really excited about this new camera. Finally it seems like a really innovative alternative to Canon's trusted and established sensor design. I'm shooting mainly landscapes, travel and portraits, so 5 FPS is more than sufficient and slow autofocus doesn't matter much. I'm still shooting a 5D II, so I guess the A7rII won't perform worse in regards to autofocus with Sony's news FE lenses. I'll sell some of my EF lenses to partially fund this new camera. But the 5D II will stay, at least for a while.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I wonder if this is the sensor that Pentax will be using in their up coming FF camera at the end of the year. Not that I think it will make any difference to low ISO on FF. I sure hope it's better than the Sony Exmor fitted camera that I took along side the Canon with me to Snowdonia last week. Boy is that sensor over rated. It's certainly no silver bullet.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
This just makes me want to wait more for the A7S II. I really love the idea of having a native non-binning 4k camera for video that is full frame and not Super 35. Prefer to have my lenses focal length be true on the sensor. And yes CR, 7 digit ISOs. Sony is only 2 stops away now with the a7S. Global shutter would be nice too. This also bodes extremely well for internal 4k on it too with what looks to be a nice codec short of ProRes

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
Just watched the 4k demo from it (internal 4k). Wow. ISO 3200 looked pretty. I wonder if they locked s-Log2 to 3200 ISO like they did in the A7S. Also love that they built in a super 35 mode for video with zero bining (a la a7s)

It also supports clean HDMI out for external recording, presumably to an Atomos.

Given these specs and the price point I have to give it some serious consideration. The usual problem with low priced 4K cameras has been the low light quality. But now this is a game-changer with this sensor.

Just saying though, I don't care much for the YT 4K. The 4K demo I saw for this camera looked a heck of a lot better at 720P. I am on a very high speed Internet pipe and the 4K YT setting looks awful.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
For FF sensors, the back illuminated advantage is a higher frame rate for video, Canon has some patents for this as well, but just studies everything to death.

The camera sounds good on paper, but I'll wait for professional reviews, there are usually some nasty things found when knowledgable photography testers start looking closely.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
This just makes me want to wait more for the A7S II. I really love the idea of having a native non-binning 4k camera for video that is full frame and not Super 35. Prefer to have my lenses focal length be true on the sensor. And yes CR, 7 digit ISOs. Sony is only 2 stops away now with the a7S. Global shutter would be nice too. This also bodes extremely well for internal 4k on it too with what looks to be a nice codec short of ProRes

From their press release, it sounds like you have to decide between not-binning or only doing super-35 can't do both full frame and no binning

Upvote 0