Starting out: Flickr? Picasa? PBase? Other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2011
Contributors on this forum are very thoughtful, so I'd like to solicit your advice again.

Flickr seems pretty popular for photosharing, but how does one decide? What would you recommend? Starting out I'm just interested in a good basic free photo sharing site, but may eventually want more. I don't currently have my own webpage or blog up and running but I do own a domain.

What are the critical things to consider when building an online portfolio?

Mar 25, 2011
If you want a professional look that uses your own domain name, you might look at Smugmug, but its not free.

If you want free, you will have to take the advertising that goes to pay for it. Free versions also usually limit the size and number of images, and, if you don't use them, or even if you do, they might all disappear without notice. Lots of people have had this happen.

One of the good things about Flickr is that you can export images to it from many of the photo editors. ACDSEE and Lightroom, to name two.

Upvote 0
G

ghosh9691

Harley said:
Contributors on this forum are very thoughtful, so I'd like to solicit your advice again.

Flickr seems pretty popular for photosharing, but how does one decide? What would you recommend? Starting out I'm just interested in a good basic free photo sharing site, but may eventually want more. I don't currently have my own webpage or blog up and running but I do own a domain.

What are the critical things to consider when building an online portfolio?

You can use Flickr, but your photostream is limited to showing the newest 200 photos for the free version. Picasa has limits on total disk space - about 1Gb. Windows Live Skydrive let's you store up to 25GB for free. There are others available as well...

Upvote 0
I love deviantART because its unlimited in how many photos you upload and it has a storage and scraps feature too.

I used Flickr but I didn't like the limits for the free account. Same with Skydrive

I think for building an online portfolio, choose only your best images. heh heh for me sometimes what I think was the best image may not be so to the general public so sometimes I put a photo in scraps and participate in group critique night chats on dA and if there is a good response, I move it back to the main gallery. XD

Upvote 0
Another vote for Smugmug. But its $60pa if you want to upload videos.

One advantage of a paid account with Smugmug, flickr etc is that there is no limit on the number of photo or video uploads per month. I use my account as an offsite backup method. This can also be handy while travelling. Why risk your gear being stolen or breaking and losing your photos? Provided you have a reasonable internet connection, you can upload your favourite photos.

If you ever build a website, it is often easier to incorporate a flickr gallery compared with smugmug. For example, I'm a wordpress fan and I just did a quick check. Searching for Smugmug brings up 13 plugins, whereas flickr brings up 245. But I'm sure the smugmug ones work great.

Lightroom and most other software supports both Smugmug and Flickr for easy uploading. If your using software, I'd suggest checking to see what it supports. This isn't essential, just makes things easier.

I've got a smugmug program on my phone which I like. This allows me to show photos to anyone, anywhere.

Therefore, if I was deciding what to use, in order of importance I'd give some thought to how many photos I'd be uploading and if I'd be uploading videos. I'd choose a site that integrates with my existing software. Then I'd choose a site with easy sharing options, mobile phone programs, ability to incorporate into a website etc.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Another smugmugger here. Only signed up a few weeks ago, and the things that I instantly liked:
- You can set your own layout, colours, everything. flickr really annoys me with its white background, black all the way for me. Even more customisable if you know javascript and/or css, which I don't (or i'd have written my own site and be hosting it myself).
- Selling stuff. I'm going to be realistic and presume i'll never get a sale, but it's nice that the option is there. Only the Pros ($140 pa) can set their own prices, i'm not sure what the rest do.
- Private galleries, password protected, you can even post an 'anonymous' gallery publicly that noone can figure out is linked to the rest of your portfolio (like writing under a pen-name, if you will, I've already got a project in mind using this feature). And I've already uploaded all the photos I took at xmas, shared them with the people who were there, told them the password and link, they can download the originals (or whatever other size I set as maximum), print them off, whatever. Much better than posting as an album on facebook as they have young kids and may not want their pics posted up everywhere publicly, also can't just give them a memory card/stick/dvd because they live on the other side of the country.
- Unlimited uploading (as good as your net connection is). Don't think you can upload RAWs, but if you're on holiday and shoot raw+jpg, upload the jpgs, then your computer/camera/backups get stolen, at least you've got something.

Big downside:
- $40 for cheapest, $60 for the decent, $140 for everything (the $140 option is called 'Pro', and it really is only for pros who get income from it, most people should be happy with the cheapest two.

But upside:
- 14-day free trial, in 'pro' mode. It's definitely worth your while checking it out.

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

Flickr is a great way of getting your pics out there.
500px is a better way of advertising your best stuff.

If you have a domain name, you can always get a Wordpress site going - they really are quite useful for photographers, and come with themes custom tailored for photographers needs including photo gallery, blog and even sales facilities.

Tumblr is another option as is Deviant Art.

Essentially they're all horses for courses.

No one is gonna see your work unless you let them know it's there - and i suppose on that front, Flickr is best.
Join some groups, follow others and get followed back, and you could end up like my mate, who gets about 3-400 comments and up to a 1000 views almost every time he posts a picture. I do like his stuff, but some of it, by his own admission, is not good work and yet it still gets enormous responses...

I personally run a Flickr account, 500px account and am now developing a WordPress based site. The Wordpress requires a little bit of understanding of how to 'customize' the look/ theme for our needs. I've also got a Tumblr account but hardly ever use it. Don't find it user friendly.

I suppose the best advice is to run multiple accounts and see which one works for you.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm in a similar position to the OP so I read with interest the responses.

One question I have about the various sites is in regard to copyright? I presume all is spelled out in the terms and conditions once one signs up, but are there pitfalls and/or small print (or is that font?) to watch out for?

cheers,

P_R
(also, my first post! Long time reader though...)

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
Hillsilly said:
Lightroom and most other software supports both Smugmug and Flickr for easy uploading. If your using software, I'd suggest checking to see what it supports. This isn't essential, just makes things easier.

I too think supporting software is a valid thing to consider when choosing a service.

Here is web resource (which I used) comparing the 3 popular sites.
http://web.appstorm.net/reviews/images/flickr-picasa-and-smugmug-shootout/

Smugmug to me was the most impressive service. However I recently chose flickr since Smugmug is more that I need at this time. I do see myself upgrading to Smugmug in time.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
P_R said:
Hi,

I'm in a similar position to the OP so I read with interest the responses.

One question I have about the various sites is in regard to copyright? I presume all is spelled out in the terms and conditions once one signs up, but are there pitfalls and/or small print (or is that font?) to watch out for?

cheers,

P_R
(also, my first post! Long time reader though...)

Unfortunately, if you publish images with no watermark, they can and will be grabbed, copywrite statement or not.

Then, its up to you to find them and try to get them removed, or get compensation. I don't have any work that I value, if someone copies it, its not a big deal, but I understand that others may have valuable work.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.