Stir crazy lockdown macro.

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yeah, you've got it nailed. :)

I've put a lot of effort into getting the lighting set up so I don't have to do too much color-fiddling in Gimp--but that's a totally different topic! Generally I can just focus, shoot, crop, do a circle-select, and get rid of the background. [I know that's more than you need to do for your purposes--I'm writing for the benefit of anyone reading this who might decide they want to do this on a large scale.]

Side note to others: I've found applying artificial sharpening tends to make things worse; when I see pics online I'll notice many of them have the "speckles" from over-sharpening. Of course, starting with an excellent lens/sensor makes it easy to avoid.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
And just to push my luck, I decided to try a 1:1 magnification. (Though I was close before.) I was beginning to wonder whether I should just avoid that magnification. Apparently not. For this I used the ring light away from the lens, so as a side light. Who knows? Maybe it was the flat lighting that kept the earlier tests from looking sharp.

IMG_2421.jpg

And 100% crop:

one2one.jpg

Maybe tomorrow, I'll try the rings on the lens again.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Somehow my other reply got lost.

I could see both of your "full dime" pictures being published (if someone wanted pictures of a common dime); the top 100% crop is certainly usable too. Sometimes collectors want to zero in on a particular feature (like an overdate or a mint mark, especially if the mint mark turns out to have been added on by some fraudster. (There are cases where a mint mark can hugely increase the value of a coin; e.g., any 1909 S cent [there were three different kinds] versus a 1909 cent of the same type is a huge difference, also an 1914 D cent versus a 1914 cent or a 1916 S versus 1916 dime.) With increasing sensor resolution, magnification is becoming less and less necessary (though sometimes it really is needed).

When your full image is three feet across on a computer monitor at 100%, you've got the coin under pretty good magnification from the start.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kodakrome.
You are welcome! (y)
Man I wish I had subjects like that for lockdown shots. Very nice.

Cheers, Graham.

Thank you valvebounce for the great title of this thread!
This is an early lockdown shot, taken on April 4th. This little guy was in a bush right outside my bathroom window.
View attachment 189860

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
WOW Awesome. Great shot, kodakrome!
d055.gif

Upvote 0