Stock Notice: Canon EOS R3 at Canon USA Store

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon USA Store has stock of the brand new Canon EOS R3. There are minimal copies available, so act fast if you’re interested.
Canon EOS R3 Key Features

High Image Quality with a Back-illuminated Stacked 24.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor
DIGIC X Image Processor with an ISO range of 100-102400; Expandable to 204800
The First EOS Digital camera to feature Eye Control AF
5.76-million-dot & 120fps blackout free EVF with quick response, as well as a
Vari-Angle Touchscreen
Capable of recording 6K 60P RAW or 4K 120p 10-bit (uncropped) with Canon Log 3
Dual Card Slots for CFexpress and UHS-II SD Memory Cards
Next Generation Multi-Function Shoe plus Speedlite EL-1 synchronization
Enhanced Connectivity

Canon EOS R3 Body $5999

Continue reading...

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I hope that before long someone posts a full review of the eye-control AF. From the small number of initial reviews it seems that some people find the eye-control very effective, but a roughly equal number find that it just doesn't work well for them.

It's a major feature of the camera, and is likely to find its way into future models, so it would be good to see R3 bodies given to a large group of people, calibrated individually for each person, and publish information about their experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
From the small number of initial reviews it seems that some people find the eye-control very effective, but a roughly equal number find that it just doesn't work well for them.
Although it’s a small sample, that result suggests that the only way to know if it will work for you is to try it yourself.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I hope that before long someone posts a full review of the eye-control AF. From the small number of initial reviews it seems that some people find the eye-control very effective, but a roughly equal number find that it just doesn't work well for them.

It's a major feature of the camera, and is likely to find its way into future models, so it would be good to see R3 bodies given to a large group of people, calibrated individually for each person, and publish information about their experiences.
I hope to have my R3 in hand by end of the day today and will test it extensively this weekend. Seeing how well the Eye AF works is important to me as well. I wear glasses and have hazel eye color so I hope it works well for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I hope to have my R3 in hand by end of the day today and will test it extensively this weekend. Seeing how well the Eye AF works is important to me as well. I wear glasses and have hazel eye color so I hope it works well for me.
It could I suppose be affected by a fair number of variables including eye colour, angle at which camera is held to the face, how deep set the eyes are, etc. The only way to find out is to try one and test it for an extended period. At the moment it isn't possible to get one on rental and test it. Personally I would rent before committing to purchase.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Who ever gets one, can you chuck it on a 500f4 MKI, with and without a 1.4TC/2.0TC and let me know what's its like. Thanks (y)
Alan,

Unfortunately, I do not own that lens otherwise I would gladly assists in an evaluation. Hopefully, someone else on the forum can assist.

Cheers,
John

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon USA Store is lying.
A reliable source said the R3 won't be available before January 26th 2022.;)
And yet we have seen videos of stores with them, and people have confirmed orders in processing. Indeed some are out for delivery today.

I think your reliable source isn’t....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Aaaaand it's gone.
Backorder already :|

Goecker here in DK got less than 10% of their pre-orders, possibly less than 5%. But with less than 6M people, we are a small market.
I figured it would not be in stock for very long. Glad a few people were able to order early am on the day of the release.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011

Here's my "preview" of the eye controlled AF....it'll be the first thing I turn off.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Here's my "preview" of the eye controlled AF....it'll be the first thing I turn off.
Why? If it works properly (for my eyes) it would be really valuable in situations where there is more than one face (human, animal or bird) in the frame. Certainly a hell of a lot better than having to wiggle a joystick around! It will be an asset for wildlife photography, and an even greater asset for sports photography. I hope it is developed to the point where it becomes completely reliable for all users, and I hope that it is widely adopted in other models and brands.

The only "issue" apart from (possible) reliability that I can find, is that the moving orange/yellow circle, that indicates what your eye is looking at, is very distracting. But I suspect that most people would turn the indicator off, once theyv'e satisfied themselves that it actually works for their own eyes.

Of course, if you don't photograph animals or people, it's use would be far more limited.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Why? If it works properly (for my eyes) it would be really valuable in situations where there is more than one face (human, animal or bird) in the frame. Certainly a hell of a lot better than having to wiggle a joystick around! It will be an asset for wildlife photography, and an even greater asset for sports photography. I hope it is developed to the point where it becomes completely reliable for all users, and I hope that it is widely adopted in other models and brands.

The only "issue" apart from (possible) reliability that I can find, is that the moving orange/yellow circle, that indicates what your eye is looking at, is very distracting. But I suspect that most people would turn the indicator off, once theyv'e satisfied themselves that it actually works for their own eyes.

Of course, if you don't photograph animals or people, it's use would be far more limited.
What about focusing on a particular part of a plant?
If eye controlled AF works the way it should, it will be, at least for me, an extremely useful feature, and a reason to get an R3 instead of an R5.
PS: I'm speaking of hand-held macro shots!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
What about focusing on a particular part of a plant?
If eye controlled AF works the way it should, it will be, at least for me, an extremely useful feature, and a reason to get an R3 instead of an R5.
PS: I'm speaking of hand-held macro shots!
I agree that eye-control AF would be useful when photographing a wide range of subjects, and it would probably be handy when stalking butterflies, dragonflies or other subjects that are likely to move quickly, leaving a small time window to grab the shot. I do a fair bit of plant and fungi photography myself, but I'm not so sure that I'd benefit from eye-control AF with those subjects, as they are unlikely to suddenly run away!

Upvote 0