Stock Notice: Loupedeck Photo Editing Console for Lightroom 6 & CC

Mar 25, 2011
SecureGSM said:
If I may.. trackballs can be very useful If an excessive joint movement is out of question for one or another reason. Your palm peacefully rests on it and all the scrolling done by your thumb.
Give it a try at your local computer shop.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I have serious carpal tunnel as well as a pinched nerve in my shoulder, so using a mouse can be very painful. My fingers have lost much of their feeling as well, so something better would be worth it. I've tried touch pads, amd several ergonomic mice to no avail. I still have several hundred photos unedited that I took in May because of the issue. Fortunately, I have another month to finish them. I have done the first 1500.

I've tried that one and a lot more, probably 10 or 12 different designs. I thought Amazon was going to ding me for returning so many, so I bought and returned some with my wife's account. The only way to evaluate one is to use it for a week or so.

Editing large numbers of photos can be painful when my arm and hand are acting up. its not just the thumb, its the midpoint of my arm caused by a pinched elbow / shoulder nerve. They said chances of fixing it by surgery were low. I had surgery on both wrists, and nerve conduction tests show they have improved three years later. Little chance of further improvement with more surgery. I also have diabetic neuropathy in my hands and fingers, Typing is difficult, I make lots of corrections. Feeling the shutter button is nearly impossible, the 5D MK IV is by far the best camera I've owned for guiding my finger to the shutter button. I've glued on raised buttons for my older cameras, but not the 5D MK IV.

Getting old is the pits, still, I get by, just slower.

I'm tuning up my old laptop to take tomorrow morning to Eastern Oregon, so I've verified it is still working, I'm going now.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
B&H sold a lot of these this week. I have now spoken to 3 photographers that purchased one from the original shipment a little while back and they all love it.

Looks very interesting but not sure I want to test it for the price. If I could rent one before I bought that would be nice.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Ok. I bought one. Will be here later this week. This sort of accessory excites me. I'm old school. I have worked light and sound boards for many years with manual faders and dials. I greatly prefer physical controls vs. point and click with a digital mouse over lay. I took one look at this and said "Oh hell yes" but again, that's just me. My hand eye coordination works better and faster with physical controls. Stop and think for a moment if EVERY Canon setting function had to be accessed through touch screen. We would all be shopping for ropes and gallows. This is the same thing to me. A massive board tuned to Premiere or other such video editing suites go for thousands of dollars. The big time pro Hollywood editors work on boards, not with a mouse. For $299 for LR? Oh yeah, I'll take a shot. If it sucks, I'll send it back. It's all about what YOU prefer. For Guys like me? This is welcomed.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
PureClassA said:
Ok. I bought one. Will be here later this week. This sort of accessory excites me. I'm old school. I have worked light and sound boards for many years with manual faders and dials. I greatly prefer physical controls vs. point and click with a digital mouse over lay. I took one look at this and said "Oh hell yes" but again, that's just me. My hand eye coordination works better and faster with physical controls. Stop and think for a moment if EVERY Canon setting function had to be accessed through touch screen. We would all be shopping for ropes and gallows. This is the same thing to me. A massive board tuned to Premiere or other such video editing suites go for thousands of dollars. The big time pro Hollywood editors work on boards, not with a mouse. For $299 for LR? Oh yeah, I'll take a shot. If it sucks, I'll send it back. It's all about what YOU prefer. For Guys like me? This is welcomed.

I'm looking forward to your review, but with my Carpal Tunnel, I may have issues that just don't occur to someone with no problems. Its hurting just to type this, but I do it anyway.

Upvote 0
I managed to edit 130 photos today using my mouse, but 500 would be a better output.

Are people able to edit a image 100% without using a keyboard or mouse, or must you still use them for some tasks. I'd really doubt that they can be done without a keyboard.
Have CPS and have used touch pads for many years. I also use shortcuts on the keyboard - but you could get a programmable keyboard and have shortcuts here too, so you only have to tap once. I also do this. The combo works for me.

The best touchpad ever (fingerworks ipad) sadly cannot be bought anymore because Apple bought them out to make the iphone. I still use my fingerworks pads, but I have also supplemented with a Wacom tablet. I do all my editing with the Wacom tablet, pen, shortcuts and presets.

Wacom can work for you as a touch pad also. However, Fingerworks got it right and Wacom does not (very frustating), but since you never have used the fingerworks pad you are unlikely to notice this and will enjoy the advantages of touch a lot. Also nothing beats the pen for careful editing.

Do note that it takes time to use a pen effectively. Lots of youtube video's to help you out with getting it right. I only use 25% of my Wacom for the gestures and 100% for pen editing.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Maiaibing said:
I managed to edit 130 photos today using my mouse, but 500 would be a better output.

Are people able to edit a image 100% without using a keyboard or mouse, or must you still use them for some tasks. I'd really doubt that they can be done without a keyboard.
Have CPS and have used touch pads for many years. I also use shortcuts on the keyboard - but you could get a programmable keyboard and have shortcuts here too, so you only have to tap once. I also do this. The combo works for me.

The best touchpad ever (fingerworks ipad) sadly cannot be bought anymore because Apple bought them out to make the iphone. I still use my fingerworks pads, but I have also supplemented with a Wacom tablet. I do all my editing with the Wacom tablet, pen, shortcuts and presets.

Wacom can work for you as a touch pad also. However, Fingerworks got it right and Wacom does not (very frustating), but since you never have used the fingerworks pad you are unlikely to notice this and will enjoy the advantages of touch a lot. Also nothing beats the pen for careful editing.

Do note that it takes time to use a pen effectively. Lots of youtube video's to help you out with getting it right. I only use 25% of my Wacom for the gestures and 100% for pen editing.

Good luck!

I have a Wacom, and have used several of the touch pads in the past. However, with no feeling in your fingers, and no fine motor control, I found them to be a struggle. I not only have CPS, but Neuropathy. I struggle to use a mouse because I can't feel the left button.

As I noted earlier, what works well for some, may not work well for others. I can use both hands, and have used a pen in one hand and mouse in the other which worked very well before my hands became worse.

I'm beginning to be very pessimistic that there is anything I can use without pain.

Upvote 0