Taking photos with the R5 causing overheating when switching to video

Jun 9, 2020
If you don’t have a return policy why in gods name would you preorder if you are not 100% sure the thing is what you need? Avarice, impatience, oneupmanship? It just doesn’t make sense to me ordering something without the ability to return it before the first reliable reports, reviews and RAW files are freely available.

The first reports, reviews and raws are available. They show that this isn't a camera I want to buy, so I'm cancelling my preorder. No harm done.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The first reports, reviews and raws are available. They show that this isn't a camera I want to buy, so I'm cancelling my preorder. No harm done.

No they are not! You missed the important word reliable from my quote, the RAW files are not processable yet we can only look at DNG’s and the first reviews are far from authoritative, if they were we would all know the full details of the thermal performance. But people placed orders weeks ago long before even the current scant and contradictory snippets came out.

I don’t know how anybody had enough information to place a preorder and i don’t see the scant and contradictory information we have learnt since has helped at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
No they are not! You missed the important word reliable from my quote, the RAW files are not processable yet we can only look at DNG’s and the first reviews are far from authoritative, if they were we would all know the full details of the thermal performance. But people placed orders weeks ago long before even the current scant and contradictory snippets came out.

I don’t know how anybody had enough information to place a preorder and i don’t see the scant and contradictory information we have learnt since has helped at all.

no one more reliable than gerland undone in my book

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Would love to see your tests of they show something different.
As I have already said in another thread about the same ‘issue’ if I was testing something I would be keeping a note of exact timing and temperature for shutdown and restart situations and i’d give those answers in their entirety, I wouldn’t text cliffhanger snippets that ask more questions than they answer.

I am sure Canon have a real world user case use In mind and I am sure the camera hits those self imposed design limits, there is no way they are going to open themselves up to recalls. I am also sure it is easy to push these hybrid stills/video tools far outside the intended use. The real question purchasers need to ask is is my typical use case more inline with Canon’s design brief for the camera or these ‘testers’. I’m not criticizing people who test the camera pushing to and past the limits, I am pissed at the lack of background and data they put out with their clickbait, they are not helping anybody make informed decisions. Particularly when their results fly in the face of other testers who report no issues in real world use.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The ability of people to completely condemn a camera that they have never even held in their hands let alone used based on nothing but what they've read on the internet is truly bewildering to me. This is what 30 day return policies are for.
But it's the internet. It has to be true. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I haven't but Gerald Undone has and he says this camera is a dud for video or hybrid use, I believe him.
Good for you! Of course, that is not what he said. That is what you say he said. It isn't what he said.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I really wish Canon would have showcased the photo and video it could do well... with a little blurb on it can also do extended 4k HQ & 8K in limited situations... instead of touting the 8k off the bat. Now kudos to Canon for not hiding the overheat... but come on... don't get everyone's hopes up and then dash it later w/ an 'oh by the way'. Of course everyone is now going to dig on the negative (pretty much how news works now days).

Myself, I like to know what it will do before going in. However I've accepted that the IBIS, AF, and unlimited full frame 4k more than makes up for the extended video recording modes that come with caveats. Unless someone comes up that 'normal' usage (for me) is compromised with the overheat, it's just beating a dead horse. So far I have not heard anyone having issues with the modes that Canon say are not limited.

Also, for the record, Canon chose the worst terms to use for the YT's out there... 'Overheat' vs 'Thermal Protection'. In computer terms, the first is bad and causes damage if done repeatedly, the latter isn't... it's shutting down before damage can be done. I have to assume the latter term is technically more correct (I can't see engineers running the camera to the point of damage occurring).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I really wish Canon would have showcased the photo and video it could do well... with a little blurb on it can also do extended 4k HQ & 8K in limited situations... instead of touting the 8k off the bat. Now kudos to Canon for not hiding the overheat... but come on... don't get everyone's hopes up and then dash it later w/ an 'oh by the way'. Of course everyone is now going to dig on the negative (pretty much how news works now days).

Myself, I like to know what it will do before going in. However I've accepted that the IBIS, AF, and unlimited full frame 4k more than makes up for the extended video recording modes that come with caveats. Unless someone comes up that 'normal' usage (for me) is compromised with the overheat, it's just beating a dead horse. So far I have not heard anyone having issues with the modes that Canon say are not limited.

Also, for the record, Canon chose the worst terms to use for the YT's out there... 'Overheat' vs 'Thermal Protection'. In computer terms, the first is bad and causes damage if done repeatedly, the latter isn't... it's shutting down before damage can be done. I have to assume the latter term is technically more correct (I can't see engineers running the camera to the point of damage occurring).

Did Canon tout 8K as the defining feature right off the bat?

Or did folks repeating and reacting to rumors decide that 8K was the big headline that deserved all of the noise?

Didn't we learn of 12/20 fps still shooting at the same time we first learned of 8K?
Didn't we learn of 7-8 stops IBIS at the same time we first learned of 8K?
Didn't we learn of ergonomics and features more in line with the 5-series at the same time we learned fo 8K?

Look at the initial rumor here. 8K is the 10th item mentioned. 45MP, 12/20 fps, 8-stop IBIS, dual card slots, scroll wheel and no touch bar, etc. are all listed before 8K is.

Canon's official development announcement also mentioned still photography capabilities before video capabilities.

This was compounded a bit by the timing of the (canceled) NAB trade show in the early spring with (canceled) Photokina not until late spring. Of course Canon's announcement planned for NAB should be video-centric, seeing as how the NAB is the National Association of Broadcasters. You know, media distributors that produce and transmit video content.

Then the realities of production delays due to the SARS-CoV-2 virus began to set in and Canon decided to delay the official product announcement planned for Photokina until they could guarantee that at least limited numbers of R bodies would be available by the projected release date around 30 July - 3 August.

Upvote 0