Taking photos with the R5 causing overheating when switching to video

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Did Canon tout 8K as the defining feature right off the bat?

Or did folks repeating and reacting to rumors decide that 8K was the big headline that deserved all of the noise?

Didn't we learn of 12/20 fps still shooting at the same time we first learned of 8K?
Didn't we learn of 7-8 stops IBIS at the same time we first learned of 8K?
Didn't we learn of ergonomics and features more in line with the 5-series at the same time we learned fo 8K?

Look at the initial rumor here. 8K is the 10th item mentioned. 45MP, 12/20 fps, 8-stop IBIS, dual card slots, scroll wheel and no touch bar, etc. are all listed before 8K is.

Canon's official development announcement also mentioned still photography capabilities before video capabilities.

This was compounded a bit by the timing of the (canceled) NAB trade show in the early spring with (canceled) Photokina not until late spring. Of course Canon's announcement planned for NAB should be video-centric, seeing as how the NAB is the National Association of Broadcasters. You know, media distributors that produce and transmit video content.

Then the realities of production delays due to the SARS-CoV-2 virus began to set in and Canon decided to delay the official product announcement planned for Photokina until they could guarantee that at least limited numbers of R bodies would be available by the projected release date around 30 July - 3 August.

Both happened!!!

Rumors aside, In the official press release of the product they announced the 8k feature but didn't really cover the limitations. For that Canon is now eating a bit of crow. I get there was a reason for the type of announcement putting some emphasis on video... but that doesn't change the announcement. Some people don't follow the rumors like we do. On some level I can see their view that the camera has a fault (if they were in the market to even buy the thing). Although being that the limitations were actually easy to find... not sure why it blew up so much (negative click bait I guess). My point was that Canon could have done damage control on this from the start had they been a bit more clear on the limitations.

BTW: You're preaching to the choir on this. I'm actually getting sick of seeing new overheat videos on YT (with really nothing to add). Also, I personally don't see the overheat as effecting my workflow, and while it would be nice to say the camera can run any mode all day long (memory card being limiting factor)... the current limits is something I can live with as-is (just need to know the limitations). This is a still camera for me w/ video as a bonus. Canon had me on this one with RF + better AF + IBIS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Not a fan of Tony & Chelsea, but in one of their recent videos, they also found that after shooting for an hour the video recording time available was drastically reduced (down to 2 minutes). Not being able to shoot stills for an extended period and then switch to video is a real bummer!
They shot 1100 photos in 85F with 120hz EVF activated and they still had access to 2mins of 8K. I think that is awesome!!!

They would also have unlimited access to non HQ 4K 30/24, unlimited access to 5.1K downsampled 1.6 cropped 4K 30/24.

So yeah the heat will impact the length of the super rez features but the camera is far from non functional.

That is just my opinion.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
None of the overheating issues would stop me from buying this camera. I'm a stills shooter who is now doing occasional video. With video, I live in the 1080p realm. Even if I could shoot for 20-30 mins at 8k, I have neither the computer to handle that much nor the television to watch it. There is, for me, far more than the top video spec that would make this camera worth it to me... if I could afford it. In two or three years I will get one. Won't think twice about it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
They shot 1100 photos in 85F with 120hz EVF activated and they still had access to 2mins of 8K. I think that is awesome!!!

They would also have unlimited access to non HQ 4K 30/24, unlimited access to 5.1K downsampled 1.6 cropped 4K 30/24.

So yeah the heat will impact the length of the super rez features but the camera is far from non functional.

That is just my opinion.

Exactly. Well put!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2016
I always love coming here and hearing all the different people talking at each other about a camera that they haven't used yet. One group says it will be the greatest thing ever and the next group says it will be the biggest flop in the history of cameras. I would suggest waiting until you have a chance to test it yourself before you buy it. Early adopters are just unpaid beta testers. There will be firmware updates to address some issues and some there won't be.
Each person has a different set of criteria under which this camera will either perform the job you want it to or it won't.

Its like for me I keep seeing people talking about bird photography or landscape work or worse video. I couldn't give a rip if this is the greatest camera for those activities. Its not what I shoot. I'm a fine art photographer and when I'm shooting and I take more then 5 or 10 shots in an entire day something is really wrong. To me resolution is what I want. Currently I have (2) 5DS R's and for what I do in a very controlled environment they work great. So I'll wait for a few months and then rent one to test. And decide then. But I certainly won't rely on someone from Youtube who gets paid by how many views and click throughs they get for information on a tool I use to make money.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014

That is just my opinion.

Hmm, giving the R5 markets are mostly professionals and serious prosumers, I wouldn’t expect it to overheat just shooting stills.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Hmm, giving the R5 markets are mostly professionals and serious prosumers, I wouldn’t expect it to overheat just shooting stills.
Your right that is what makes it so awesome it did all that and did not overheat!!!!

Can't wait to pick it up (fingers crossed) Friday. When do you expect yours?

• Love
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Your right that is what makes it so awesome it did all that and did not overheat!!!!

Can't wait to pick it up (fingers crossed) Friday. When do you expect yours?

I have yet ordered mine due to the the R5 price in Australia, and Melbourne is in the middle of stage 4 lockdown as the government is trying to manage the second outbreak.

I will wait for the A$6899 RRP levelled a little. Probably around Christmas or early next year?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I have yet ordered mine due to the the R5 price in Australia, and Melbourne is in the middle of stage 4 lockdown as the government is trying to manage the second outbreak.

I will wait for the A$6899 RRP levelled a little. Probably around Christmas or early next year?

+++Melbourne is in the middle of stage 4 lockdown...

luckily, we are still In stage 3 in Melbourne. not looking to the stage 4:censored:

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
+++Melbourne is in the middle of stage 4 lockdown...

luckily, we are still In stage 3 in Melbourne. not looking to the stage 4:censored:

I think part of Melbourne is in stage 4? Daniel Andrews said in a press conference: "With all the other restrictions that have in place, and in particular the universal wearing of masks... the Chief Health Officer indicated it is essentially stage 4."

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I think part of Melbourne is in stage 4? Daniel Andrews said in a press conference: "With all the other restrictions that have in place, and in particular the universal wearing of masks... the Chief Health Officer indicated it is essentially stage 4."
Nuh, stage 4 would mean a closure of all businesses but grocery shops, medical facilities and Petrol stations. That’s going to kill off the remainder of Victorian economy rather quickly me think. We are in a deep proverbial doodoo with daily cases now. If we are not out the woods by Wednesday night next week, then There is a strong chance that they move on with stage 4 plan. I am not looking forward to it :(

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Nuh, stage 4 would mean a closure of all businesses but grocery shops, medical facilities and Petrol stations. That’s going to kill off the remainder of Victorian economy rather quickly me think. We are in a deep proverbial doodoo with daily cases now. If we are not out the woods by Wednesday night next week, then There is a strong chance that they move on with stage 4 plan. I am not looking forward to it :(

Fingers crossed that the outbreak is peak and on the way down!

BTW, didn’t know you are from Victoria. Are you based in Melbourne?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I always love coming here and hearing all the different people talking at each other about a camera that they haven't used yet. One group says it will be the greatest thing ever and the next group says it will be the biggest flop in the history of cameras. I would suggest waiting until you have a chance to test it yourself before you buy it. Early adopters are just unpaid beta testers. There will be firmware updates to address some issues and some there won't be.
Each person has a different set of criteria under which this camera will either perform the job you want it to or it won't.

Its like for me I keep seeing people talking about bird photography or landscape work or worse video. I couldn't give a rip if this is the greatest camera for those activities. Its not what I shoot. I'm a fine art photographer and when I'm shooting and I take more then 5 or 10 shots in an entire day something is really wrong. To me resolution is what I want. Currently I have (2) 5DS R's and for what I do in a very controlled environment they work great. So I'll wait for a few months and then rent one to test. And decide then. But I certainly won't rely on someone from Youtube who gets paid by how many views and click throughs they get for information on a tool I use to make money.
Yes. But you should bag it because if you are taking a fine art photo 2ft above a broiling pool of lava the camera will probably overheat. That is unacceptable dangnammit!!!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Both happened!!!

Rumors aside, In the official press release of the product they announced the 8k feature but didn't really cover the limitations. For that Canon is now eating a bit of crow. I get there was a reason for the type of announcement putting some emphasis on video... but that doesn't change the announcement. Some people don't follow the rumors like we do. On some level I can see their view that the camera has a fault (if they were in the market to even buy the thing). Although being that the limitations were actually easy to find... not sure why it blew up so much (negative click bait I guess). My point was that Canon could have done damage control on this from the start had they been a bit more clear on the limitations.

BTW: You're preaching to the choir on this. I'm actually getting sick of seeing new overheat videos on YT (with really nothing to add). Also, I personally don't see the overheat as effecting my workflow, and while it would be nice to say the camera can run any mode all day long (memory card being limiting factor)... the current limits is something I can live with as-is (just need to know the limitations). This is a still camera for me w/ video as a bonus. Canon had me on this one with RF + better AF + IBIS.

I do not think Canon has ever presented 8K as the "defining feature" of the R5. In fact, if one carefully examines every public release they've made regarding the R5, they've almost bent over backwards to always talk about other features first, before talking about 8K. It was those who reacted to Canon's announcements that made 8K video the defining feature for themselves.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
This is getting pretty ridiculous, I'm thinking of cancelling my pre order.

Yeah. Sure. Here's me thinking he was testing the buffer limits repeatedly for that hour.

But wait!

A little bit down the feed you get this from the same guy:

"Here it is! My Sony a7S III video. It's exactly what you'd want from an "Undone" video: 26 minutes of me yammering on about codecs, dynamic range, obscure menu functions, and system stability. But fear not... this camera is as perfect as it gets."

Maybe he's related to Sony Northrup. I mean Tony. Tony Northrup. Yeah.

Upvote 0