Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD G2 Announcement Coming Next Week

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that Tamron will announce their <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/tamron-will-announce-a-new-24-70mm-f2-8-di-vc-usd-g2-lens-this-year/">new 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD G2</a> some time next week. This will come ahead of Sigma starting preorders and shipments of their brand new 24-70mm f/2.8 DG HSM OS Art.</p>
<p>We do not have pricing or specifications, but we do suspect Tamron could undercut the Sigma by a $100 or more.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi SkynetTX.
Not sure why you want to focus the lens off the camera, but it should not be a problem with the Canon lens for which this is a direct competitor, the 24-70 f2.8L II.
No STM or Nano USM Motors in this one.
Copied from the canon page.
"Precision autofocus, with control

A ring-type ultrasonic autofocus motor means that you can focus quickly, near-silently and with precision. It also provides override manual focus allowing you to stay in control. This helps you to adjust the focus accurately to ensure it is exactly where you want it to be for the most creative control."

From the specs page.
AF actuator Ring USM¹

Footnotes

AF actuator - ¹ Full time Manual focus

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Graham.

SkynetTX said:
neuroanatomist said:
Do those motors not autofocus? Or how, exactly, do you define useless?

No support for Full-Time Manual focusing that – in my opinion – means that I can rotate the focusing ring even if the lens is not attached to the camera. :(

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
SkynetTX said:
neuroanatomist said:
Do those motors not autofocus? Or how, exactly, do you define useless?

No support for Full-Time Manual focusing that – in my opinion – means that I can rotate the focusing ring even if the lens is not attached to the camera. :(

Oh, so your definition of FTM differs from Canon's. Got it. Well, I guess if you want to use a lens to take pictures without mounting it, that could be a problem (for example, with a reversing ring for macro). Personally, I don't find that my 85mm f/1.2L II has 'useless autofocus', but then, I have no trouble remembering to retract the front element before I remove the lens.

Just to be pedantic, with an STM lens or my 85L, you can rotate the focusing ring even if the lens is not attached to the camera...it just doesn't move the focusing elements. ;)

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Here is a link to photos of said lens:
https://photorumors.com/2017/06/20/first-pictures-of-the-tamron-sp-24-70mm-f2-8-di-vc-usd-g2-lens/
Tamron-SP-24-70mm-f2.8-Di-VC-USD-G2-lens3.jpg

Upvote 0
Oh, so your definition of FTM differs from Canon's. Got it. Well, I guess if you want to use a lens to take pictures without mounting it ...

I don't want to take pictures without mounting the lens :) but sometimes the AF is not that precise and I have to modify the focus manually. If I can't have my macro lens with me for any reason my camera may enter sleep mode before I set the focus and when I wake it up STM lenses reset the focus point.

Here is a link to photos of said lens ...

If the picture is correct the focusing ring could be a bit wider – about 20-25mm – and the zoom ring a bit narrower.

Upvote 0