SIGMA and Tamron discontinue most of their DSLR lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like both SIGMA and Tamron are transitioning fully to mirrorless lens mounts, which was obviously an inevitable outcome.
According to Nikon Rumors, this information comes from a large retailer in the UK. We have seen big discounts on SIGMAs ART lenses over the last year, so we expect at least some of those lenses be discontinued.
In total, 18 SIGMA lenses received the axe, and Tamron cut their lineup by 22 lenses.
We do think that we’re going to see RF mount lenses from both SIGMA and Tamron in time. It’s not simply about Canon, both companies have to be able to develop, manufacture and support new lenses on a new mount and make money doing it.
Discontinued SIGMA lenses

Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM
Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG Fisheye
Sigma...

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/sigma-and-tamron-discontinue-most-of-their-dslr-lenses/]Continue reading...

Nov 2, 2020
I don't know why they would discontinue the lenses that are already developed while there is no replacement for the RF mount.
Sales of those lenses may have dropped sharply. Or they may want to utilize their manufacturing capacity to build other (newer) product that is experiencing higher volume growth.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I don't know why they would discontinue the lenses that are already developed while there is no replacement for the RF mount.

I wonder if I should buy the 35-150 f/2.8-4 while it is still available for just 679 Euros. There is no alternative.
They have to buy or make then store the parts to make the lenses, although they need a certain level of stock for repairs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Sales of those lenses may have dropped sharply. Or they may want to utilize their manufacturing capacity to build other (newer) product that is experiencing higher volume growth.
They could also be making manufacturing capacity available in anticipation of producing RF mount lenses in the near future.

Despite the current "ban" on Viltrox (and possible others), we can be pretty sure that Tamron and Sigma will find a way to overcome any potential patent infringements. It's quite possible that they are both in negotiation with Canon, and that third party AF lenses will appear within a few months, although none of the parties involved would at this stage be prepared to admit it.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Looks like most of the discontinued ones are not the super popular ones....at least Sigma. I'm not as familiar with the Tamron line up. But the Art primes are not on the list, and the popular telephotos like the 150-600 aren't either.

-Brian
Yes. The discontinued Tamron 150-600 appears to be the older version.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
These lists of lenses are mostly the ones designed prior to their more modern designs, when they earned a reputation for putting out good lenses. There are a couple in there that were very good lenses for the value and newer designs (the more modern 70-200 f/2.8 Tamron jumps out at me), but most of the rest are legacy stuff from when the brands had reputations of being mediocre lenses at cheap prices.

Two incidental thoughts:
1) I wonder how much of their modern lens design sales are from EF mount lenses that are adapted to RF. I bet they sell more of those than Fuji mount lenses.
2) Since both Sigma and Tamron make lenses and lens elements for the larger OEM lens/camera makers, I wonder how much those commercial relationships cause them to be cautious in entering into direct competition with Nikon/Canon. We may find out in the future that lens elements in the $3k Canon lenses were produced by Tamron, for instance.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Here we go again. There is nothing stopping them from making RF lenses, so long as they don't violate Canon's patents.
Yes - but that is the answer at a theoretical level. At a practical level, the next question is whether or not it is actually possible to make an RF lens without violating Canon's patents. It seems to be possible for a fully manual lens (based on the fact various manual RF lenses seem to be staying on the market). For a lens with AF or other electronics though, it may or may not be (I certainly don't know), but it seems no one has managed to find a way to do it so far.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
EF is still the "mirrorless" mount for Canon from their perspective ie adapted. I am sure that Canon R mount users will still adapt EF lenses for some time for both Canon and 3rd party lens manufacturers. Canon and the 3rd parties may trim their lineup to suit higher volume sellers but that is normal practice over time.

Upvote 0
They could also be making manufacturing capacity available in anticipation of producing RF mount lenses in the near future.

Despite the current "ban" on Viltrox (and possible others), we can be pretty sure that Tamron and Sigma will find a way to overcome any potential patent infringements. It's quite possible that they are both in negotiation with Canon, and that third party AF lenses will appear within a few months, although none of the parties involved would at this stage be prepared to admit it.
I do think at least Sigma is in negotiations with Canon about getting an RF license. There was a CR3 post that Sigma was going to address the RF mount this year about a week or two before the whole Viltrox thing. It’s since been removed I believe because I can no longer find it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I do think at least Sigma is in negotiations with Canon about getting an RF license. There was a CR3 post that Sigma was going to address the RF mount this year about a week or two before the whole Viltrox thing. It’s since been removed I believe because I can no longer find it.
Threads don't get removed. Go to "Search", type in Sigma, check Titles Only, put in by "Canon Rumors Guy" and hey presto:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0