Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD to be Announced Next Week

Canon Rumors said:
<p>It appears Tamron is set to announce the Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD for Canon, Nikon and Sony mounts.</p>
<p>Tamron recently teased new lenses coming for CP+.</p>
<p>Will you be buying one? I’ll assume it’s going to be priced quite aggressively.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

B&H, and no doubt others, has it in stock now, and is shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233540-REG/tamron_sp_85mm_f_1_8_di.html

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
funkboy said:
LSXPhotog said:
I plan to buy this lens for sure. Sigma continues to ignore the elephant in the room and I'm a little tired of some of the issues I have with my Canon 85. It's currently my only lens I'm unhappy with so I would really like to upgrade this year if I can. The inclusion of stabilization makes this even sweeter.

I love my 85 f/1.8 USM! Yes it purple-fringes at large apertures, but Lightroom fixes that easily enough.
My only real complaint is the crappy (& expensive) lens hood.

Curious to know your beef with it?

Well, as I always say to everyone, if it works for you, then don't worry about it. For me, personally, I don't like the optical flaws with the lens, but these are compromises you make for its very good price and small size and weight. The statement of "Lightroom fixes" it is also invalid because all it does is desaturate the fringe colors, not correct the flaw. This can work in many images, but not all. Take for example a shot I took during an engagement shoot where the male was wearing a shirt that aggravated the fringe problems with the lens. I knew this and looked for it immediately after taking a few shots and determined I needed to use another lens. It wasn't until I got home that I realized I made a super crucial choice because when I used the Lightroom tool to remove the fringe, it completely lost the color in his shirt stripes. Making his shirt light blue and gray instead of light blue and light pink.

I have the 1.8 and use it in a love/hate manor. I'll be upgrading the lens later this year is a Sigma Art comes out since this lens seems to have its own flaws that make me not willing to drop the coin - such as focus shift with aperture change.

Upvote 0
FWIW I've tried this lens out twice now and it's been...alright...but not been blown away. Admittedly they were quick and dirty tests but focus felt slow and sharpness disappointing at the largest aperture. Shame, as I wanted to like it, what with VC and as a lighter and more practical alternative to Canon's 85 1.2 and with a better MFD, less CA and better hit rate than the Canon 1.8.

Upvote 0