Tamron to Announce 70-210mm f/4 Di VC USD

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
rh18 said:
Sharlin said:
My educated guess is: same price bracket as the EF 70-200mm f/4 non-IS. My bet is between $600 and $700. $500 is too low; $800 too high.

I was thinking $799 but I noticed in the leaked photos that it only has 1 VC mode and no focus limiter (or so it appears), so they probably are targeting more like $600-700.

Also remember that from the looks of it the tripod collar is going to be an optional accessory, as with the 100-400mm. Should drive the price down nicely.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
diness said:
This is an interesting lens for me! I would buy the 70-200 f4L is in a heartbeat, except that part of the reason I would want the IS would be for video and it's too dang loud.

If this Tamron can be as sharp as the Canon, come in below it's price, and have silent VC with good AF, I would be very very intrigued by it!

It is a wonderful lens, one of the “must have” lenses..... a great combination of quality/price/size..... but you are right about the noise, the IS on the lens is about the loudest I have ever heard on any lens. Tamron has the opportunity here to come out with a better lens at a lower price. I hope it is compatible with the docking station..... that introduces the ability for firmware updates for future compatibility and if it has similar AFMA to the 150-600 G2, superior AFMA to Canon.

BTW, welcome to CR

Upvote 0
diness said:
This is an interesting lens for me! I would buy the 70-200 f4L is in a heartbeat, except that part of the reason I would want the IS would be for video and it's too dang loud.

If this Tamron can be as sharp as the Canon, come in below it's price, and have silent VC with good AF, I would be very very intrigued by it!

I own and often use the Tamron 15-30, 24-70 (G1), and 70-200 (G1) F2.8 lenses for video. Picked them up over the Canon because of IS/VC, then added the 70-200 (G1) to match the others.

My biggest issue with Tamron lenses is lack of in-camera lens corrections, or non-functional lens corrections, specifically peripheral illumination correction. The vignetting can be a problem with these lenses and is generally harder to fix with video (than shooting RAW and fixing in Lightroom/Photoshop). If you're using for photos, these are great lenses. If there was a reliable way to enable in-camera lens corrections, they would be great for video as well.

If Canon ever released a 24-70 F2.8 with IS, I would likely change everything over.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Generally speaking, on the 70-200 focal length, I prefer the f/2.8 despite the significant size/weight difference -- ironically not for the f/2.8, as I'll often stop down to f/4 anyways... but for the better/faster autofocus that a wider aperture affords.

There are many situations indoors when it's not as bright, and f/2.8 focuses noticeably more confidently than f/4, and for patio birding, if it's a bit overcast, f/2.8 makes a huge difference.

bsbeamer said:
My biggest issue with Tamron lenses is lack of in-camera lens corrections, or non-functional lens corrections, specifically peripheral illumination correction. The vignetting can be a problem with these lenses and is generally harder to fix with video (than shooting RAW and fixing in Lightroom/Photoshop).

I've always wondered about this, but I barely ever record videos, so I've never taken the time to research it.

The only video I've ever made on my 80D was of a heron "fishing" using a Sigma 150-600, the vignetting was, well, pretty much what you'd expect from an uncorrected telephoto (looks silly). Is there any way to correct this "automatically" in post?

bsbeamer said:
If Canon ever released a 24-70 F2.8 with IS, I would likely change everything over.

IIRC, the rumor is Canon is field testing two models of 24-70/2.8 IS :) I would purchase that lens in a heartbeat too.

Upvote 0