Teardown: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Roger and Aaron at LensRentals.com finally had the opportunity to tear apart the brand new Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II. Most of us want to know if Canon actually did make the new lens the gold standard for build quality like the marketing department would like us to believe.</p>
<p>It looks like there’s truth in the marketing:</p>
<blockquote><p>…This lens is massively over-engineered compared to any other prime we’ve ever disassembled. It’s built like a tank where it counts; on the inside. Moving parts are huge and robust. Six big screws are used in locations where 3 smalls screws are common in other lenses. Heavy roller bearings move the focusing group, it doesn’t slide on little nylon collars.</p>
<p>…If I had to summarize the mechanical design of this lens, I would say simply that no expense was spared, no corner was cut.</p>
<p>Sometimes things are expensive because they’re worth it. Sometimes they’re heavy because they’re so solidly constructed. This is one of those times. <a href="http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/12/canon-35mm-f1-4-mk-ii-teardown" target="_blank">Read the full article</a></p></blockquote>
<p><strong>Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II $1799: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1180801-REG/canon_9523b002_35mm_f_1_4l_ii_usm.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/CA35142.html?utm_term=UbK24x0al34oSlvW4eT8QxjoUkX3mDVXeWC-Ug0&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid64393&cvosrc=affiliate.64393" target="_blank">Adorama</a> | <a href="http://amzn.to/1Uehm5w" target="_blank">Amazon</a></strong></p>

This is my kind of built like a tank. There is a flexible polycarbonate shell over a very solid metal core with really heavy-duty rollers, screws, and bearings. That's a logical way to build things; make the core the strongest part, not the shell. It sounds so simple, but like I said, this is the first time we've ever seen this kind of construction in a prime lens of standard focal length. We take apart A LOT of lenses (we passed 20,000 in-house repairs some time ago) and this is the most impressively built prime I've seen. This is an engineer's lens.

Terrific to read stuff like this, and I bet an article like that does more for Canon sales than the company realises.

I bet the 11-24L is exactly the same. Certainly feels like it.

Makes you proud to be a Canon user. Thanks for sharing.

I keep repeating myself, but by this point I was really rather awestruck by the amount of careful over-engineering that went into making this lens. Nobody, and I do mean nobody, else is engineering lens mechanics like the newer Canon lenses.

Upvote 0
I always appreciate Roger's reviews because his approach and perspective are so totally different.

No other reviewers (nor many sane people ;) ) disassemble an expensive lens for commentary on its viscera. But then most reviewers would have no idea how to do it. And the manufacturer lending a normal reviewer the one single review copy would no doubt take a dim view of it. Roger has lots of copies of each lens, and routinely opens them up for maintenance.

And his testing bench is more informative than the other guys' image of playing cards and crayons.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Roger sees it all...so to me, high praise from Roger carries weight because he also knows what less-than is, too. I still think that Sigma's recent successes may have helped fuel some the quality of this lens or maybe it just had to be made this well to deliver to the new round of sensors that I think is headed our way in 2016, (maybe a little of both).I am happy for the people who can afford to own one and it's great to know that it is out there. COOL stuff!

Upvote 0
I suddenly feel a lot better having paid the premium for getting this lens.

I had focusing issues to begin with, as some of you may have seen examples of, but CPS refused to accept that anything was wrong. I have therefore been quite determined to prove them wrong. But the funny thing is that with more use it has improved and now it is very stable and focus is dead on every time. Strange, but pleasing. Few things are more annoying than having lenses you can´t trust.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Eldar said:

I had focusing issues to begin with, as some of you may have seen examples of, but CPS refused to accept that anything was wrong. I have therefore been quite determined to prove them wrong. But the funny thing is that with more use it has improved and now it is very stable and focus is dead on every time. Strange, but pleasing. Few things are more annoying than having lenses you can´t trust.

Maybe it took a while for it to learn Norwegian ? ;)

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Eldar said:

Maybe it took a while for it to learn Norwegian ? ;)
He he, with an IQ of 35 ... ::)

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
This is my kind of built like a tank. There is a flexible polycarbonate shell over a very solid metal core with really heavy-duty rollers, screws, and bearings. That's a logical way to build things; make the core the strongest part, not the shell. It sounds so simple, but like I said, this is the first time we've ever seen this kind of construction in a prime lens of standard focal length. We take apart A LOT of lenses (we passed 20,000 in-house repairs some time ago) and this is the most impressively built prime I've seen. This is an engineer's lens.

Terrific to read stuff like this, and I bet an article like that does more for Canon sales than the company realises.

I bet the 11-24L is exactly the same. Certainly feels like it.

Makes you proud to be a Canon user. Thanks for sharing.

I keep repeating myself, but by this point I was really rather awestruck by the amount of careful over-engineering that went into making this lens. Nobody, and I do mean nobody, else is engineering lens mechanics like the newer Canon lenses.

I wanted this lens from the beginning. If it weren't for CPW, after reading this article, I would have paid full price. The optics and quality are lasting. Just consider the bodies it could go through.

Upvote 0