Teardown: The Canon EOS R5 gets an autopsy

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
What page number was it in the original? I ask because I don’t ever remember seeing a red table in a Canon manual, lots of black ones but never a red one.
That table is a Canon
What page number was it in the original? I ask because I don’t ever remember seeing a red table in a Canon manual, lots of black ones but never a red one.
That table is a Canon separate release to I believe Canon UK.

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
There are reports that CFExpress cards heat up when in the slot even when not being used. I haven't got an R5 and can't verify this one way or another so perhaps someone who does can reply whether this is true or not.

If not it's just some careless coding by Canon where they're detecting card present for cutoff limits rather than card is set for recording.

When I have my CFExpress card in the reader connected to my computer, even without accessing the drive, it's ridiculously HOT to the touch after just a few minutes.

Now I know these are really high performing cards but this seems like a major issue in the industry's choice of using CFExpress.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I don't find anything unusual. Tiny heatsink with thermal pads. That's about all one can do. The heat has to dissipate however. Without a fan, it doesn't matter how much heat sink or thermal padding one has, that heat has to go somewhere else. Or the camera will be a little oven if allowed to video continuously and write to a card. With a fan and no vent it would be similar to a little air fryer. Simple. Not rocket science. Oh and let's not talk about Sony. Their camera gets well over 129 F at times also. Sony just merely bypasses the operating threshold with it's Auto Temp (HIGH) setting. Nothing new here. Plan your work accordingling or use a main camera for continuous recording if one doesn't want to use an Atomos V. A Cine camera. If one is doing extensive video recording why not have an external recorder anyhow? They aren't that expensive. The drives are like $65 to $99.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

There are over 900 pages....how am i to know which page, lol :)

"the table similar to this DPR table is what is now gone" The similar content of the table, not the color of the table, is missing now.

Also, the recovery time table is missing now too.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I can confirm this. I went thr2the menus a few hours to look at all the settings. In the end the record time (high modes) had zero 0:00 recording time left.

Did the camera "shut down"? From your description, no--it just wouldn't let you record video in the fancy modes.

But it was otherwise a perfectly usable hybrid camera at that point, as it would take some video and as many pictures as you want.

Him talking about "shutdown" is ludicrous, and you shouldn't have agreed with him.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019

"the table similar to this DPR table is what is now gone" The similar content of the table, not the color of the table, is missing now.

That red table did NOT come from the manual. It was a Canon media alert. Here is the Canon Media Alert in PDF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

My point was it hasn't been taken out because it was never in there. Why say stuff you can't back up? You are just making shit up because you are pissed and you hope somebody will listen to you, grow up, Canon aren't going to give you a camera because you think you have some legitimate gripe, you don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That red table did NOT come from the manual. It was a Canon release to certain Canon website. Not Canon USA. I believe it was Canon UK. I had my manual when that table was released. It was NOT from the Canon EOS R5 advanced user manual.

No kidding. Re-READ WHAT I WROTE:

Similar does not mean the EXACT table. It was a table that had pretty much the same content, maybe slightly different wording.

Example:

"You are not reading this carefully, which is why you do not understand this"

"If you do not read this carefully, you will not understand this "

SIMILAR:
adjective
  1. resembling without being identical.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
No kidding. Re-READ WHAT I WROTE:

Similar does not mean the EXACT table. It was a table that had pretty much the same content, maybe slightly different wording.

Example:

"You are not reading this carefully, which is why you do not understand this"

"If you do not read this carefully, you will not understand this "

SIMILAR:
adjective
  1. resembling without being identical.

Do you have any proof whatsoever it, or something similar, was ever in any version of the manual?

Upvote 0
My point was it hasn't been taken out because it was never in there. Why say stuff you can't back up? You are just making shit up because you are pissed and you hope somebody will listen to you, grow up, Canon aren't going to give you a camera because you think you have some legitimate gripe, you don't.
Well how am I to back it up when it's not there anymore. Why would I be making shit up when it was someone else who noticed it missing 1st not me. Don't now why you're so pissed off and decided to attack me for no good reason. gee wiz

Upvote 0

Here, look at post 228. I'm not making up shit. relax. wtf is wrong with you today...

Link

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Admin: Can you please republish this PDF Canon USA Media Alert
That is just a link to the same table, it isn't a link to a copy of the manual you say is now missing. I'm sorry but you are just making this stuff up.
It was a Canon Media Alert not from a manual. LOL. However the Canon USA site page is down. Here's the entire media alert in pdf form

CanonU.S.A.,Inc.MediaAlert

Upvote 0
Woke up to hysterical ranting in some parts.. decided to come here.

I wrote up my thoughts on all this. I don't think it's as simple as some are attempting to make it out to be.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
For those that need the Canon U.S.A. Inc. Media Alert with the Overheating times heres the pdf file. Don't forget to use your IR thermometer or FLIR and measure the camera temps. Don't just simply let the camera reach 104 F and wonder why the times don't match any of the tables. And that includes the cards.

Attachments

• Canon-EOS-R5-and-R6-Overheating-Media-Alert.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Upvote 0
With a magnesium body why not run heat pipes to the body itself and use it as a massive heatsink. I have been thinking also you could use the battery compartment as an air chamber with the grip, there are many ways to create a body that dissipates heat.
it would work if you weren't concerned about people getting burned.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0