technique advice for a 600mm II

luckydude

1dxII, 5DIII, 7DII, lots of glass, tolerant wife
Aug 3, 2013
Hi folks,

newbie here with more money than brains (or technique). I recently was gifted with 600mm II and a 1.4x III (and a 2x III, almost forgot that one).

I did "OK" on a moon pic: http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/moon.jpg

but I'm having trouble learning how to use this beast on other stuff. I'm coming from a 400mm f4 DO + the 1.4x II.

I'll start by saying this 600mm out resolves the 400mm by quite a bit, even with the 1.4x on it.

That said, holding this sucker is a bitch even as "light" as it is for a 600mm (and it is light, you can hand hold it, just not for more than about a minute. At least I can't).

Does everyone who owns a lens like this use a tripod?

On the tripod I got crap results unless I did live view (which locks up the shutter, still have to figure out how to do that w/o live view. I did say newbie, bokay, don't yell at me. Too much).

The moon pic is cropped, 5DIII + 600mm + 2x + tripod + live view + remote shutter release + IS on. Is that just what you do when you have a lens this big? I mean the live view remote shutter IS part.

I'm used to walking around and grabbing shots as they present themselves, the 400mm lets you do that, the 600mm is not so much. I did get some keepers just walking around but a much much lower rate than the 400mm.

I guess what I'm asking is what is the basics of using a 600mm and 600mm+1.4x. What settings do you use, do you always lock up the mirror, remote release, no IS or IS?

I'm new to this big bad boy and still not sure if it is for me, I love the sharpness and the reach, not yet comfortable with my sucky technique.

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
luckydude said:
Hi folks,

newbie here with more money than brains (or technique). I recently was gifted with 600mm II and a 1.4x III (and a 2x III, almost forgot that one).

I did "OK" on a moon pic: http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/moon.jpg
Nice one!

but I'm having trouble learning how to use this beast on other stuff. I'm coming from a 400mm f4 DO + the 1.4x II.

I'll start by saying this 600mm out resolves the 400mm by quite a bit, even with the 1.4x on it.

That said, holding this sucker is a bitch even as "light" as it is for a 600mm (and it is light, you can hand hold it, just not for more than about a minute. At least I can't).

Does everyone who owns a lens like this use a tripod?
I don't have the 600L but have you thought of a monopod? Much less hassle to carry around than a tripod.

On the tripod I got crap results unless I did live view (which locks up the shutter, still have to figure out how to do that w/o live view. I did say newbie, bokay, don't yell at me. Too much).

The moon pic is cropped, 5DIII + 600mm + 2x + tripod + live view + remote shutter release + IS on. Is that just what you do when you have a lens this big? I mean the live view remote shutter IS part.

I'm used to walking around and grabbing shots as they present themselves, the 400mm lets you do that, the 600mm is not so much. I did get some keepers just walking around but a much much lower rate than the 400mm.

I guess what I'm asking is what is the basics of using a 600mm and 600mm+1.4x. What settings do you use, do you always lock up the mirror, remote release, no IS or IS?

I'm new to this big bad boy and still not sure if it is for me, I love the sharpness and the reach, not yet comfortable with my sucky technique.
If the same image taken in live view is sharp and taken with AF is not, it means your AF needs AFMA done. I suggest you procure FoCal http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/. Get the Pro version.

Upvote 0
A few things to go with it would help.

A good solid monopod, it makes it easier to carry and hold.
A Gimbal type head like Wimberley's WH-200, RRS makes a nice one as well for tripod work.
Tripod legs sturdy enough to support this.

For my use I would say 30% of my shots are hand held, 40% on a monopod and the rest off a tripod.

For monopod and hand held work, even with the improved IS of the new 600mm, shutter speed is your friend with this lens. The more shutter speed you can get the better pictures you will be taking.

The lens will be very sharp wide open, because of the light requirement for fast shutter speeds you will find yourself shooting close to or at F/4 quit a bit.

I wish I had friends who would gift things like this to me.

Upvote 0
I have a nice RRS monopod with one of their monopod heads, I use that to walk around, and be careful, remember a monopod head will not keep it balanced, you can crush your hand if you let it go to pick your phone or something, it happened to me and almost fracture my finger..

Also have an RRS carbon tripod with and http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PG-02-FG&type=3&eq=&desc=PG-02-FG%3a-PG-02-Full-Gimbal-Head&key=it gimbal.

That one gets a nice balance. I also use my camera with the rear focus technique so I can quickly switch from tracking focus to a one shot.

Upvote 0
If you want to handhold, which I do most of the time, you have to practice your standing position and the key is how you rest your elbow against your body. It is pretty similar to a standing shooting position with a rifle. If your elbow is not resting against your body, you will start shaking in seconds. You also need to practice your breathing. Again, pretty similar to what you do when you shoot with a rifle.

For tripod and monopod, I use Gitzo GT3542LS and GM5561T, with Really Right Stuff BH-55 and MH-02 heads. Since you were lucky enough to get the lens, you should treat yourself to something similar.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Eldar said:
If you want to handhold, which I do most of the time, you have to practice your standing position and the key is how you rest your elbow against your body. It is pretty similar to a standing shooting position with a rifle. If your elbow is not resting against your body, you will start shaking in seconds. You also need to practice your breathing. Again, pretty similar to what you do when you shoot with a rifle.

For tripod and monopod, I use Gitzo GT3542LS and GM5561T, with Really Right Stuff BH-55 and MH-02 heads. Since you were lucky enough to get the lens, you should treat yourself to something similar.

Have fun!
True! Photographers would make excellent snipers...

Upvote 0
rpt said:
Eldar said:

Have fun!
True! Photographers would make excellent snipers...

Maybe in the old days. One Frame and One Shot is all you get. Not now.

Now days photographers are closer to machine gun artists than snipers.

Seriously Eldar is right you can draw this comparison. If you have shot very much you know that shooting in the standing position is the least favorable. When I am hand holding I am always watching for a brace to help me out. A tree to lean on, a branch to set the camera on or something solid to lean across. Sitting in a shooters position on the ground is much better. All applies to the big lens as well as guns.

Upvote 0

luckydude

Aug 3, 2013
Hi, me again.

So on the gift thing, this is actually from my parents in a way, it's a thank you for managing their estate; my dad died first and I took care of the finances for my mother for about a decade. Never took anything for all that work except for this lens. My dad shot wild life and I suspect he'd both approve and think I'm crazy (which is prolly true).

The tools I have so far to help are a manfrotto monopod (I think the same one as shown in this thread), a gitzmo tripod w/ a ball head (yeah, I know, need a gimbal head, trying to decide between the wimberly and the mongoose). All left over from my Dad's stuff.

The tripod is pretty useless without mirror lock up and remote release, this is too big of a setup for it to hold it still when the mirror moves. Is that normal or not?

I've also found on both monopod and tripod that if I don't use IS when just taking a shot w/o remote release then things are blurry.

I haven't yet tried doing multiple shots, I'm doing single shots. Does everyone use continuous to get keepers?

With the monopod I have to use IS, I can't hold it still enough.

The comments about this being like shooting are spot on. I target practice with a .30-30 and the feeling is very similar. No recoil though.

I don't consider myself particularly buff - I think most people could hand hold this if they prop the left elbow against their chest - I thought that was standard technique for any longish lens?

Upvote 0
Continuous vs Single would depend on what you are shooting.
Birds in flight, especially taking off would be Continuous.
A deer standing looking at you, your choice but I hate having to pick between 10 identical pictures when I am sorting.

As far as the other things you said, IS on when on the monopod and even the tripod. I do that as well.
Sounds very typical and nothing wrong with leaving it on other than battery life IMO.

The tripod isn't useless without mirror lock up and remote release. Set up right with a gimbal and sturdy tripod it is as light as a feather to sweep and follow birds. Solid as well. Using the gun comparison, it is your machine gun on a turret.

Other than that just go play with it. Best way to learn.

Upvote 0

luckydude

Aug 3, 2013
takesome1 said:
Continuous vs Single would depend on what you are shooting.
Birds in flight, especially taking off would be Continuous.
A deer standing looking at you, your choice but I hate having to pick between 10 identical pictures when I am sorting.

As far as the other things you said, IS on when on the monopod and even the tripod. I do that as well.
Sounds very typical and nothing wrong with leaving it on other than battery life IMO.

The tripod isn't useless without mirror lock up and remote release. Set up right with a gimbal and sturdy tripod it is as light as a feather to sweep and follow birds. Solid as well. Using the gun comparison, it is your machine gun on a turret.

Other than that just go play with it. Best way to learn.

This is all the sort of advice I was looking for, thanks. And I agree on the delete delete delete process. It's really annoying - you sort of want a way to have a center crop of all of them up at the same time and pick the best.

Upvote 0

luckydude

Aug 3, 2013
J.R. said:
luckydude said:
trying to decide between the wimberly and the mongoose

Do consider the gimbal by RRS ... it is freaking awesome for long lenses.

Which one and why do you like it better?

I saw the pros on the wimberly mainly being that you mount the lens by setting it on the plate (less likely to drop it) and the cons being the weight.

Pros on the mongoose being weight and cons being that it is a side mount (more likely to drop $16K of stuff, gives one pause).

Upvote 0