That’s all folks, for me anyway. Canon Rumors will live on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very upsetting.
I've been coming to visit this wonderful sites a few times a day for around 12 years and I'm really sorry you're leaving Craig.
However, as the politics of the world steer more towards the left, the worse our lives are becoming.
Everybody thinks that their opinion is worth more than anyone's else's.
Instead of discussing our similarities, many people prefer to fight about their differences.
Personally, I have stayed away from any social media sites as there are so many professional trouble makers and I'd prefer not to join them.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Does this mean I get my $100 back?
@Blue Zurich why the sad emoji at my comment? I have no time for bullies and people that 'threaten' somebodies family are less than worthless, but that doesn't alter the fact that the 'Pro' membership was a simple money grab done within the time Craig said he was thinking of selling. The latest reopening of the 'once in a lifetime' opportunity just a few weeks ago reeks very badly of a blatant money grab.

Where have the regular free gifts been? etc etc.

We are dealing with two issues here, first is the way Craig has been treated by some people. I don't do social media so I am completely in the dark about that but he 100% has my support against people that threaten his family!

The second is the way Craig has treated some of his biggest and longest term supporters. Which when talking about the 'membership' deal was a complete unadulterated rip off.

The two are completely separate as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Craig, I figure I'm probably one of the 'old-school' guys. I sure remember how it was back in the day when ships were iron, men were wood, and those of us with information shared and corroborated pretty freely behind the scenes. I'm peripheral to it all so I was able to just decide not to play any more and quietly, slowly ease away. Hate that you've had to deal with all this, but hope in a while you'll be able to reminisce about the good times. We did have them. In the meantime hang in there. Roger

Reactions: 23 users
Upvote 0
So sad to hear this. Sad state of the world. Seen similar stuff in the wedding photography industry too sadly, especially on social media. You have been my daily first page I look at online for years and will be missed. Thanks for all the updates over the years. I never buy gear before watching your page.
Ditto. I check this page about every day and look forward to it. You’ll be sadly missed Craig. I hope whomever takes over makes it worth following b

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Deleted

7D2
Sep 30, 2021
That is a shame. I’ve only been regularly visiting for a short while but have enjoyed your writing.

I know what you mean about the rise of nastiness on social media. I do not have a Facebook account and have a tiny 1500 followers on Flickr and just over 800 on Twatter. Yet even with being a total unknown nobody I have received death threats from more than one jerk. One in my case was simply for making the comment “Isn’t evolution amazing’ on an image I posted of a wasp. Seems someone took that as an attack on his religious beliefs and as such it was OK to threaten me and my family. He obviously put some effort into it too as the private messages mentioned my home town and real name. It is a weird mindset that seems to be rapidly growing. Walking away let’s them win. We simply cannot do that. Instead the authorities need to be informed and the vile perpetrators need to be taken to task. Sounds like you need help. Whatever happens I hope you and your family can lead a happy and fulfilling life going on.

• Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Strange indeed. I guess there is more that we will never know. Or at least I will never know. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around anyone getting worked up over cameras to this degree, regardless of who is right and who is wrong.
Have you ever been on a car forum?
Sheer hate and contempt towards other brands. But in my naivety I thought the world of photography was different... How wrong I was.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
"Nothing is about information anymore, it’s only about whose saying it. This is true for all forms of media and I really don’t want to be a part of it."

Yes, we unfortunately live in an age of narcissists and egomaniacs, everything is "me, me, look at me, listen to the drivel I'm talking, and subscribe to my channel"

.... and when people politely express opinions to which they're fully entitled, they get shot down by wokeys and those who make a profession out of being "offended".

It's a great shame that you've felt the need to give up Canon Rumors, as this is one of the very few sites where, with just a couple of notable exceptions, people show respect for each other and can have an interesting debate without having to contend with the kind of rudeness that has dominated dpreview for so many years.

All that is left for me to say is thank you for all the hard work you've done to keep us informed, and to wish you the best in whatever endeavours you have in the future.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
@Blue Zurich why the sad emoji at my comment? I have no time for bullies and people that 'threaten' somebodies family are less than worthless, but that doesn't alter the fact that the 'Pro' membership was a simple money grab done within the time Craig said he was thinking of selling. The latest reopening of the 'once in a lifetime' opportunity just a few weeks ago reeks very badly of a blatant money grab.

We are dealing with two issues here, first is the way Craig has been treated by some people. I don't do social media so I am completely in the dark about that but he 100% has my support against people that threaten his family!

The second is the way Craig has treated some of his biggest and longest term supporters. Which when talking about the 'membership' deal was a complete unadulterated rip off.

You left all of that out. It was simply where's my money. Simply stating that was hardly empathetic. If you would have written what you just did initially I would have never thought of responding that way. Was I supposed to read in between lines that were not there? Please...

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I am so sad to hear this, Craig, especially the sad way it has ended for you. You have done an excellent job over these years and been very fair and open moderator.
If you approach your next venture with the same dedication, endeavour and enthusiasm I am sure you will get the success you deserve. The very best of luck for the future.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Ah! How sad, I love this site!

Well done Craig for building this forum and keeping us all entertained over the years.

Abuse on social media is hard to take and totally unnecessary, one of the reasons I like this site as it is generally very well behaved and mostly very respectful with contributors sharing different views in a polite and decent manor.

I’m sorry to hear of your abuse Craig that’s wrong and not acceptable, your trusted sources and leaks are welcomed by us and in a strange kind of way I’m sure even Canon appreciate the interest this forum creates in their products.

I hope this isn’t the beginning of the end of CR but it will certainly be a challenging time for any new owner, maintaining the quality and accuracy of rumours this site delivers, which is ultimately the engine that drives this site forward.

All the best Craig and thanks for everything.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I'm sure that Craig and the buyer will want the site seamlessly transferred with all us members contributing as usual and as if nothing has happened apart from a change in ownership. In which case, our Pro membership will be continued.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

speg

-hetti
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020

Ripoff of what? I got more than the price I paid back in discounts.

also, the site will continue so you’ve still got what you paid for…

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Beyond sorry…sickened to hear this. Always enjoyed your site. Soon as paid membership became an option I was on board. The thought of controversy over a corporate product rumors site almost sounds laughable. But threats against family. W t f. I’m sad for the world. Thank you for all you gave and may karma come for anyone so screwed up as to have done what they did!

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Craig,

I'm genuinely sorry :cry: to hear that we won't hear from you in the future, and vice versa.
I hope that you have a great life to come. And an even better time in the next one! :sneaky:

--- Oh, you could please pass on a little firmware addition request: "Aperture bracketing!" ? :)

Bye / Hej då
John

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Unbelievable, the things people say, thinking they're anonymous behind their keyboards. And this is about cameras. Cameras are supposed to be fun. Dumb nincompoops, they are.
I totally understand your decision. I would do the same thing to protect my family.
Thank you for posting so diligently for all those years. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I can understand, I've been a member since the early days, but the YouTube influencers just don't influence me. Occasionally, one knows what he is talking about, but so many seem clueless. I can imagine the attacking of you and your family, I see it going on everywhere. I believe that covid has pushed many people off the rails, it's certainly a factor.

I have a guess as to the eventual new owner, but I'll keep it to myself. I have no inside information about that.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.