The Canon Cinema EOS C200 Mark II will arrive in April [CR3]

Sep 20, 2020
I'd be curious to know why they wouldn't just do an RF mount and make official adaptors for PL and FD. "Swappable" seems a bit too fiddly for Canon and would overcomplicate things considering how tech heavy the new RF lenses are.

Overall, a new EF-mount anything is a bit of a head scratcher considering the cross-compatability of EF and RF.

What would be really cool, I think, is a an RF to RF Speedbooster. Although maybe they might be concerned with people forgoing the R5/R6 for the R/RP + speedbooster.
C300 and C500 are swappable between PL and EF.
No DP is going to want to have a $25K Zeiss Master Prime depend on a $200 adapter.
Mounts are far more secure.
For everyday lenses than swapping via adapter would be much faster.
Mirrorless cameras can theoretically have interchangeable mounts for any lens.
The only reason the Canon can't retrofit an RF mount to C300 or C500 is that the built-in ND filters are too large.
That is strictly for mounting.
I doubt autofocus would work.
Since Z Cam does not have built-in ND there can be a lens mount for any lens.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I think the C500 Mark II, C300 Mark III and C200 Mark II will be compatible with an RF-mount conversion that was rumored earlier. The old C200 won't be.
It also overlaps with the earlier EOS C50 rumour which suggested a C200 sensor, but maybe that's how the C200 sensor lives on.
I highly doubt it.
Nobody thought Canon was going to be able to fit ND filters in C70 but Canon pulled it off.
C300 and C500 were not designed with that in mind.

Upvote 0

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
A CR3 rumor for a dedicated video camera that only garners 27 comments - where are the multi-million posters who were bashing the R5 only for video shortcomings? I thought everything was going video for the next generation of gear buyers and that is why we saw the deluge of video commentary. Isn't this a camera worth paying attention to for them? The world is a weird place.

I am loving my R5 so far. I do plan to try out the video at some point, but about a month into owning it and I have not tried it out yet. So not being a video shooter I guess I am not able to judge these trends. Seems strange to me though.

ML

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2020
C300 and C500 are swappable between PL and EF.
No DP is going to want to have a $25K Zeiss Master Prime depend on a $200 adapter.
Mounts are far more secure.
For everyday lenses than swapping via adapter would be much faster.
Mirrorless cameras can theoretically have interchangeable mounts for any lens.
The only reason the Canon can't retrofit an RF mount to C300 or C500 is that the built-in ND filters are too large.
That is strictly for mounting.
I doubt autofocus would work.
Since Z Cam does not have built-in ND there can be a lens mount for any lens.

Well of course you don't want a super expensive lens depending on a relatively cheap adapter, but looking at the official EF-RF speed booster, it's certainly very possible to make an adapter that securely attaches to the camera body with screws.

I also doubt that retrofitting would be possible even without the ND filters because their would probably need to be some electronic hardware and software mods as well. Not to mention that canon seems to prefer pushing new products rather than retrofitting/updating old ones.

Either way, I doubt that very many people are attaching a 25k zeiss master prime to a C200-tier camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
A CR3 rumor for a dedicated video camera that only garners 27 comments - where are the multi-million posters who were bashing the R5 only for video shortcomings? I thought everything was going video for the next generation of gear buyers and that is why we saw the deluge of video commentary. Isn't this a camera worth paying attention to for them? The world is a weird place.

I am loving my R5 so far. I do plan to try out the video at some point, but about a month into owning it and I have not tried it out yet. So not being a video shooter I guess I am not able to judge these trends. Seems strange to me though.

ML
Those are the people who were waiting on A7S III and complaining about every other camera.
They want a videocentric camera in a mirrorless photo camera body with solid autofocus.
I hope they are happy and we are done hearing from them for a while
C70 also fits the bill.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019

ML
Mike,

I am one of these People interested in videography who owns a bunch of EF L lenses.
I did not comment on any video specs of any Canon body since the launch of the R5.

That debate became way too hot for no reason.

However, it is the company Canon who presented the R5 as a video killer with 8K blabla.
It was a marketing mistake to position it this way.

R5 seems to be a fabulous still camera with exceptional AF system. All people shooting stills love it.

The videographers must look at another body if their main interest is video.
Canon seems to consider this audience seriously.
C70 is obviously a fantastic video camera and the C200 mark ii might be another interesting option.

So I continue to read CR with huge interest.

So we are here !

Upvote 0