The Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L IS USM II has been officially discontinued

Sep 20, 2020
Well, I doubt people who actually are going to buy the lens are too annoyed right now since it is:

IN STOCK at the Canon store
IN STOCK at Adorama
IN STOCK at B&H
IN STOCK at Best Buy
IN STOCK at Amazon USA
IN STOCK at Samy's.
...etc, etc, etc.
Not everyone lives in the USA.
It is impossible to get in the Canon Japan store.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Side note: would it be a good thing for a Canon rumors site if Canon were to tell the world exactly what lenses will be released and when?
Lens roadmaps do not say exactly what or when.
The Nikon lens roadmap only has focal lengths and no dates whatsoever.

Canon has no public roadmaps whatsoever.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
...both of thier current RF50 offering can go chuck themselves - one too cheap, one to massive + expensive.

Interesting to see that back in 2017, even with all 3 EF variants, people complained about the same things.
If Canon does make an RF 1.4, it will surely be a compromise between the 1.8 and 1.2, and people will most likely complain about it.

1668381426740.png

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Interesting to see that back in 2017, even with all 3 EF variants, people complained about the same things.
If Canon does make an RF 1.4, it will surely be a compromise between the 1.8 and 1.2, and people will most likely complain about it.

View attachment 206337
It was before my time, but I read that the EF mount originally launched with the EF 50 f/1.0 and the EF 50 f/1.8.
The price difference between them was astronomical.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
It was before my time, but I read that the EF mount originally launched with the EF 50 f/1.0 and the EF 50 f/1.8.
The price difference between them was astronomical.
I think that the 50/1.8 is/was very similar to the FD mount 50/1.8. A very standard design, not too expensive, and pretty good.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Even I can no longer make excuses for the missing wide-angle L primes for the RF mount. It's a bit silly at this point.

If it's related to world events, it's time to release a roadmap of some kind.
A road map would be nice. I mean, we kind of know that they're working on a 24/1.4, a 35/1.2, and probably a 300 and 500 super telephotos as well. It would be nice if we knew when we might expect some of them, at least a ballpark.
On the other hand, they're pushing out new lenses fairly quickly.
And on the other, other hand, I have the original 24/1.4L and rarely use it. It isn't tremendously different from the II for that lens.

Upvote 0
Yet no one asks about the 50 1.4? Cmon guys....please?

I'll keep mentioning it until it manifests itself. It is utterly ridiculous how canon refuses to make this lens. AFAIC, both of thier current RF50 offering can go chuck themselves - one too cheap, one to massive + expensive. And no one seems to care about this crazy hole in canons lineup. And there is no data anywhere saying it might be addressed.

Maybe its PTSD from the junky RF 85 f2 with its embarrassing external focusing?. (n) Or the misbegotten RF 35 macro. (n) Or anything else non-L RF that is either optically lazy or are just plain boring.

PS- at least no one has it as bad as RF-S. What an epic disaster of lens choices. (n) Even the EOS M has choices + 3rd party options.
All I can say is I really love my RF 50 1.2. You don’t know what your missing. I would never settle for a 1.4 after using this lens.

Upvote 0
I don't need or want wide and fast lenses so I'm still okay with my Tamron 15-30 f2.8 for EF, but I can understand that people are getting impatient, I know a lot of people swear by the 35mm and 24mm f1.4.
I’ve been waiting forever for a 1.2 35. Have zero interest in a 1.4 compromise.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
It is fairly annoying that Canon discontinues EF lenses before introducing the RF counterparts.
This continues weekly doesn't it?. Besides annoying, it isn't the best customer confidence experience announcing you are dumping older products before announcing replacements, it would nicer for some time to overlap. Funny to me personally, as a few weeks ago I was offered this exact lens used for $500. from my local distributor employee who is switching from Canon over to 24mm Sony G master. But I passed on it. He has years of collected Canon glass so uses Canon lenses on Sony with the MC-11 adapter. I guess he knew it? This must be to motivate getting rid of existing inventories so once they are depleted, the R will suddenly appear? All this discontinuation stuff is helping me to switch also. I wish they would have some fire sales though, I might buy then.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022

I'll keep mentioning it until it manifests itself. It is utterly ridiculous how canon refuses to make this lens. AFAIC, both of thier current RF50 offering can go chuck themselves - one too cheap, one to massive + expensive. And no one seems to care about this crazy hole in canons lineup. And there is no data anywhere saying it might be addressed.

Maybe its PTSD from the junky RF 85 f2 with its embarrassing external focusing?. (n) Or the misbegotten RF 35 macro. (n) Or anything else non-L RF that is either optically lazy or are just plain boring.

PS- at least no one has it as bad as RF-S. What an epic disaster of lens choices. (n) Even the EOS M has choices + 3rd party options.

I bought the E mount Sigma 56mm f 1.4, ~$500 for my new A6400. Also available for Nikon, Fuji, etc.. not available of course in the Canon legal dispute for R mount. I also use the Canon 50mm f1.8 STM, its cheap I know.

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Remember, that most EF glass can be purchased used in good condition for a fair price. Also cheap third party AF-Lenses for the EF-Mount can be used with adapter on the R-System. And Canon offers beautiful ultra-wide zoom-lenses, the EF 11-24 and the RF 14-35. So nearly everything is ok for most Canon-Shooters, imho.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019

In which way is the RF 50 1.8 too cheap?
Use it, it is a nice lens!

Yes, the 1.2 is massive.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
All I can say is I really love my RF 50 1.2. You don’t know what your missing. I would never settle for a 1.4 after using this lens.
I had the EF 1.4, I was never convinced with this lens
Today I shoot RF 50 1.2, absolutely great!
And I shoot the RF 50 1.8 as well - I love this lens as I love the 1.2, just for very different reasons and applications.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
We now have a 24/1.8, 35/1.8, and 85/2, all of which are semi macro (not 1:1 but close focusing). I wonder if Canon could produce a 50/1.4 or 50/1.8 that is not the old-school double-Gauss design, but rather one that yields good wide-open performance and allows for close focus, perhaps at the cost of some barrel distortion. It would fit nicely in the current line-up.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Did I miss Sigma getting sued by Canon for IP infringement?
I am sure you read this link below, thought it was posted here I didn't specifically state Sigma anything other than I bought the Sigma 56 in Sony E mount in same sentence, generally speaking all major manufacturers NOW licensed lens mounts except Canon, as noted at bottom of the article. Silence from Canon and 3rd parties is all we have. I was set to buy the R10 as stated, but thanks to this site I didn't and saved me $$$. Tried to buy a Samyang RF the week they pulled off AF lens from online resellers. Plenty of RF manual lens, my M50 purchase of more M lens still pondering as the prices are on sale for some.

Upvote 0