The Canon EOS ‘R5s’ may be in the hands of testers [CR2]

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Some of us in the "7D2 crowd" use both FF and APS-C cameras, whichever is most appropriate for a specific task.

If I'm going to crop to APS-C angles of view anyway, why should I waste using up a $3,500 FF camera that handles slower when I can use a cheaper, faster handling APS-C body for the vast majority of my "high mileage" shooting scenarios?

At the same time, my wide and/or normal lenses are mounted and being used on the FF bodies. Shooting a typical American football game, I may take 2,000+ images using the "long" body while only taking 200-400 frames using the short body(s), and that's if I shoot the band at halftime. Otherwise I'll usually put well less than 200 frames on the odometer of the wider camera/lens combination(s). I'd much rather wear out a $1,500 APS-C "sports" specialty body when shooting 2,000+ frames per assignment than a $3,500 FF general purpose camera that I use for almost all of my other work when I rarely shoot more than a few hundred frames, and often only shoot a few dozen at those other assignments.
You just made my point.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Why do you need to say that crap? Poking the bear? Lame.
I was merely pointing out the futility of the argument to the OP. OTOH, it is sometimes fun to poke a bear so long as you use a long stick and have the safety off on the 30-06. Look in the mirror and question where your sense of humor went. :--).

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You just made my point.
That point being?

Maybe you can express it in your own words instead of leaving it to others to interpret what your opinions are.

sometimes fun to poke a bear so long as you use a long stick and have the safety off on the 30-06. Look in the mirror and question where your sense of humor went.
I'm not sure where you are going with that analogy. Is poking the bear meant to be making a provocative statement and having a gun ready at hand meant to symbolise stepping away from a conversation without addressing the other side in a fair and respectful manner? That honestly sound just like trolling to me.

And that may be what you are going for, but you also mention humor. And I don't see any of that in there, so maybe you can elaborate what you actually meant to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I was merely pointing out the futility of the argument to the OP. OTOH, it is sometimes fun to poke a bear so long as you use a long stick and have the safety off on the 30-06. Look in the mirror and question where your sense of humor went. :--).
No, the politix. I have a sense of humor longer than your stick and my posts are public to see... yours are just well, untimely and as we all know, in humor timing is everything.But as I see you interject gun references in as well so the source gray matter material is even more obvious.We're not on Parler here.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

10-8-244

Work, travel, take photographs, repeat
CR Pro
Dec 25, 2015
Nashville, TN
Speaking for myself, I am excited for an R5s! I bought, used for two weeks and sent back today an R5. Coming from a 5DIV and as a prior 5DSR owner I was not impressed with the R5! I have never been into video, so those capabilities were wasted on me. I've learned to master quite well the autofocus options on the 5DIV and did not observe the R5 to be spectacular in comparison. The battery life was not what I would expect from a 5D series camera, the human face / pupil auto focus did not live up to my expectations; it struggled with dark brown or black colored pupils and with darker skin toned people. During my tests it would not lock onto the pupil and would revert to the face detect often. The first shot IBIS problem was very noticeable while reviewing numerous series of similar shots in post and as someone who will most likely never pay the premium wanted for RF glass I will eventually upgrade to any mirrorless camera maker who can produce a high megapixel camera that is compatible with EF glass utilizing an adaptor that has a mature IBIS and a BSI sensor without a low-pass filter. Because of the above and my opinion that the R5 is not worth $3899 or the $3699 I paid, I returned it and will not miss it. However, I do still miss my 5DSR that I sold years ago! The details and sharpness of landscape photos I took with that camera were absolutely stunning so that is why I am looking forward to an R5s.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I mean, 90 mp makes sense. Just over double the R5's resolution, and the 5DS was just over double the 5D's resolution.

I wonder what frame rate they'll pull off with 90 mp. I would bet on the high end maybe around 8-9, 10 would make sense because double the data at half the speed, but the R5 only does 12 bit silent at 20 so with even more data I doubt they'll hit 10 fps.

The 50 MP 5Ds/5Ds R were introduced in 2015 and were just over double the resolution of the 22 MP 5D Mark III that had been around since 2012. But the next year after the 5Ds/5Ds R were released, the 30 MP 5D Mark IV was unveiled replacing the aging 5D Mark III. The 5D Mark III used DiG!C 5, the 5Ds/5Ds R and 5D Mark IV all used DiG!C 6.

Upvote 0