The Canon EOS 7D Mark III : a test for Canon

Jul 21, 2010
9VIII said:
aceflibble said:
Nikon are, essentially, Apple. Not very good at inventing anything of their own, but superb at optimising and maximising what other people have done. Canon are more like a PC; originality and a big advantage in lower-cost manufacturing, but rarely getting 100% out of the system.

If any PC/Mac analogy is going to be made, Canon is like Apple and Sony is effectively running the PC model.
Nikon is like IBM’s consumer products division...

2716553567_68e98d5bcd_o.jpg

Upvote 0
A stunning photograph is the result of the photographer, not the camera make or model.
Back in the "old days", film technology was more important to me than any one other thing.
Getting the grain levels down and more accurate color reproduction was the biggest concern. Pushing Tri-X to ASA 1600 in the darkroom was insanity but the only way to shoot night sports.
We are so spoiled with today's technology. My upgrades in camera bodies is driven by what I want to accomplish next in my journey.
Don't forget about customer support- that's really a big thing. Canon has invested heavily in it. When I broke a lens in half, Canon charged me $59 despite only salvaging the front lens group. When my 100-400 lock ring started sticking, they said it would cost $250. They actually had to replace the inner barrel assembly but stuck to their estimate.
I think Canon's biggest concern should be their lens performance versus price point. I have jumped ship lately with a Tamron and Sigma. Price point and performance is huge. There are trade-offs, but I think Canon really needs to focus in this area.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
9VIII said:
aceflibble said:
Nikon are, essentially, Apple. Not very good at inventing anything of their own, but superb at optimising and maximising what other people have done. Canon are more like a PC; originality and a big advantage in lower-cost manufacturing, but rarely getting 100% out of the system.

If any PC/Mac analogy is going to be made, Canon is like Apple and Sony is effectively running the PC model.
Nikon is like IBM’s consumer products division...

2716553567_68e98d5bcd_o.jpg

Here is my take

Canon has become big (but not dumb, fat, and happy). They are innovating a controlled way, goal is no screw ups. Perhaps sort of like MS, not IBM. Not an underdog like Apple.

Nikon is sees the light at the end of the tunnel - could their end. They need to do things to increase their chance of survival. Big products but limited array of them (D850). Perhaps like Apple before the Mac was introduced.

Sony is a tease. Great products that are not finished (or well thought out if they want to convert the current dSLR masses). Perhaps like Sun or Digital.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
interesting and rather mean/condescending replies to this topic. While there is some interesting insights and differences of view, the delivery could use some work.

I'm also of the camp that I've more or less stopped investing in Canon, but haven't yet jumped ship due to investments. I normally agree that they take turns leapfrogging aspects of technology, but this cycle seems excessively long and Canon isn't innovating/giving ME what I want for the price point.

Its pretty telling their latest release the 6d mkii was on sale for $509 off and with a bonus of about $300 in accessories in less than half a year after release. I still didn't buy as it felt like a lukewarm release, it gives the impression of being behind the others and missing on a few key areas for me (such as the autofocus spread being so narrow).

I still continue to hope for something exciting given how much it costs to change, but I'm voting with my wallet and I've stopped investing in them for now.

Upvote 0