The Canon EOS M5 Mark II and Canon EOS M6 Mark II are on the way [CR1]

Jan 29, 2011
With the ever cheaper FF mirrorless cameras continually evolving, I’m really not sure of the point of the M series anymore. I guess Canon knows there must be a market for it, but with the market being over saturated, I just don’t see the point in making it anymore.
Size, weight, cost! As has been proven you can make the FF camera body smaller but you can't make the lenses to cover that FF sensor smaller, indeed if customers demand ever higher pixel count and pixel level image quality then the lenses have gotten bigger and heavier and even more expensive.

Of course all this ignores the fact that the M is the best selling camera line in several key markets! It's like Europeans saying 'why don't Ford stop making F150's they only sell a few thousand a year in Europe?'

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Hmm Project Nacho. Sounds tasty
Slim maybe.
Well Canon are still investing in the M Series. It’s a series that seemed a dead end to me but must be doing well enough for Canon to give it more support with new cameras.
It’s small and compact and well loved by users.
Coupled with the fact that Sigma is introducing 4 new M-mount lenses soon. Remember that CR bit from a couple weeks ago...?

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
The fact Sigma will release lenses in M mount gives you confidence it's not going anywhere soon.
Yes! This. And I'm quite sure that Sigma would not be taking this step without very good info/assurances (maybe insider, or some tacit private agreement) that Canon would continue to develop and release M-series bodies.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
Size, weight, cost! As has been proven you can make the FF camera body smaller but you can't make the lenses to cover that FF sensor smaller, indeed if customers demand ever higher pixel count and pixel level image quality then the lenses have gotten bigger and heavier and even more expensive.

Of course all this ignores the fact that the M is the best selling camera line in several key markets! It's like Europeans saying 'why don't Ford stop making F150's they only sell a few thousand a year in Europe?'
Yes, I do understand about the size and weight. I guess Canon understands the market.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If they do I will just shoot 25p and not give a damn. Every single video capable Canon camera can shoot 25p.
But 4k still remains 24fps only, they only remove it from 1080p.

That being said, it is probably a flagship mirrorless APS-C model with a new sensor, so they will probably bring them back, and the price will be higher than what people expect.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I'm currently selling my M6. The one thing that drives me insane is the slow CPU. Switching between some functions, especially between image review and back is painfully slow. As is AF still. I've lost too many images waiting for the camera and it's not like I am a sports or action photographer. I'm over it. Somehow I don't have faith that the Mark II will fix things. I would be happy to be surprised though as I am keeping my lenses for now, just in case.
It's remarkable how different the speed of my M5 is from my M50 in all aspects. I still greatly prefer shooting the M5 because of the superior manual controls. I am really looking forward to a new M5. I'm sure the M6 will be a reduced spec M6 with a pop-up EVF or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

That being said, it is probably a flagship mirrorless APS-C model with a new sensor, so they will probably bring them back, and the price will be higher than what people expect.
So shoot 1080 25p, done.

I’m sorry I just don’t see limitations only opportunities, I don’t think what can’t this do and why am I being penalized, I think this is great and has these new capabilities look where it can take me. I am more interested in tethering abilities, .cr3 compatibility with mobile DPP Express, intervalometer, full functionality with the 470EX AI etc things that give me real advantages, than getting bent out of shape over the non difference between 24p and 25p in 1080.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I've been waiting for this camera since the EF-M 32mm came out. I really love my M cameras and the M50 is selling so well that Canon must be paying attention. It's just a shame that there wasn't a better pathway to upgrade to the RF mount, so I'm sure the time for this camera system is limited.

I would like to see a grip attachment for the M5 so that it was more comfortable when adapting EF lenses or when using a flash on top.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I don't see that as likely. Given the size weight and quality of the RF lenses to date I think Canon's intent is to make the R line a high quality higher cost ff system, I'd expect them to leave APS-C to the M and the generally low cost slower zooms much better suited to a more general audience and market.

The lines between the EF and EF-s market became very grey, at this point the differences between the EF-M and RF are very apparent to even the most basic of consumers. Why muddy the waters with an RF-S series of bodies and lenses when I'd think, in this shrinking camera market, R&D is best focused on the actual RF line and possibly a couple more complimentary EF-M lenses to keep people like me happy with our $1,000 bodies.

Exactly, i don't see Canon doing a 5th mount...4 is more than enough to maintain. Maybe a high-end APS-C with RF mount without APS-C lenses, but that does not make much sense.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
These are very popular cameras. I don’t know why Canon would discontinue the line. APS-C cameras with the “R” mount would have more, and likely, better lenses. But they would be bigger and heavier and more expensive.

i can’t believe that when Canon was designing these cameras, they didn’t know that they would be doing full frame later. They had to. Yet, they still came out with these. They must have discussed this in some detail before doing this. It’s a decision that costs, and makes, hundreds of millions, and possibly, billions of dollars.

the fact that they’re still coming out with new and upgraded lenses and bodies, makes me think that they are going to stick with what is one of the most popular mirrorless lines.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
On a 23.976, 24, or 25 timeline?
In my experience which I admit is not particularly broad, with the editing programs I have used, FCPX, LumaFusion, iMovie, it really doesn't matter. It seems you can put practically anything in and get practically anything out and I don't see impacts in quality and I have yet to see a demonstration that does.

I'd happily have somebody point me to an authoritative and peer supported example where IQ is impacted to a noticeable degree by doing so. I'd also like to see the same for anything that demonstrated a visible difference between a 23.976, 25 or a 24 timeline.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
In my experience which I admit is not particularly broad, with the editing programs I have used, FCPX, LumaFusion, iMovie, it really doesn't matter. It seems you can put practically anything in and get practically anything out and I don't see impacts in quality and I have yet to see a demonstration that does.

I'd happily have somebody point me to an authoritative and peer supported example where IQ is impacted to a noticeable degree by doing so. I'd also like to see the same for anything that demonstrated a visible difference between a 23.976, 25 or a 24 timeline.
Quite frankly, it’s exaggerated when it comes to video. My company had, as one service, a still frame print from 70mm film, for motion picture companies. When they sold 8x10’s from their films to fans, they would pick a still from the film in a number of places, and our 70mm camera would make a 4x5 transparency or negative, and make hundreds of prints for them to take to openings or, usually, fan fests.

Some people would ask me why they didn’t print from the still photos taken while the film was being made. Simple. Fans want the EXACT image they saw in the film at that exact moment. A still isn’t good enough, because it’s not from the camera that took the movie. So, it’s not the ”real” picture.

ok, so why bring this up? Because our visual cortex doesn’t see motion the way it sees a still. While watching that movie, everything looks more than sharp enough. We don’t really see the grain, and small defects aren’t noticed. But when we print a still, it’s different. Suddenly, it’s soft, there may be scratches we need to fix, the grain is prominent.

so, yes, some of the things complained about, such as not using the full frame for video isn’t really as noticeable as some think it is. Yeah, if someone is staring at the screen, looking for it, likely, if the monitor is good enough, you might see it. But if you’re not sitting close enough, you won’t.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Exactly, i don't see Canon doing a 5th mount...4 is more than enough to maintain. Maybe a high-end APS-C with RF mount without APS-C lenses, but that does not make much sense.
Well, you can adapt EF-S lenses to an RF mount with an afs-c sensor if you want. An RF mount camera with an afs-c sensor might fill the 7DII niche, while serving as a testbed for Canon's high end mirrorless AF, and getting reach with less size weight and cost than FF.

Upvote 0

I know potato jet did something with the rp. I gotta find it.

Upvote 0

But will they remove dpaf like they have in the past? From 4K 24

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
With the ever cheaper FF mirrorless cameras continually evolving, I’m really not sure of the point of the M series anymore. I guess Canon knows there must be a market for it, but with the market being over saturated, I just don’t see the point in making it anymore.
It is small

Upvote 0