The Canon EOS R1 may not come until the 2nd half of 2023 [CR2]

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
It will be obsolete by time it comes out. Canon missed the boat.
I hit the boat hit you on the head as you were bobbing in the water. At least, that’s one possible explanation for your inane perseveration.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

JohnC

EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I recently purchased an R3. I’ve used various top of line bodies over the years…R3 passes them all in my opinion. Sony has a good product, but I don’t think they score as well overall. We will see what the market says and if it is any different than what it has said for years now.

dirtyvu

EOS 90D
Jan 7, 2019
I also sometimes get buffering problems when shooting a series of short 1 second 20fps bursts on the R5. Not sure what you mean when you say "that pause is very strange" - my R5 just completely locks up, and the only way to get it going again is to drop the battery and reboot. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often. The problem isn't restricted to the R5 either - I've got a friend who has exactly the same issue with his Z9.

I've never had it lock up. so when I say a "pause", I'm meaning it's not linear and instant. like imagine climbing a hill to a sharp point and then descending linearly off that point. that's behavior i would expect.

but in the "pause", it's more like a roller coaster climbing to a peak, it gets to that peak and kind of stops for a second or two and then it plunges. when I hit the buffer on the R5, it kind of pauses at the peak, and then all of a sudden it writes them all down really fast.

tpatana

EOS 5D Mark IV
Nov 1, 2012
So about 12-18 month until I could get R1.... makes me wonder if I should get R3 to replace my 1DX.

Reactions: 1 user

navastronia

EOS RP + 5D Classic
Aug 31, 2018
Getting an R1 or an R3 (and it will either be one or the other) really depends on whether I want to move to a single-body camera solution or not. I currently shoot with a pair of EOS RPs for events, theatre photos, and weddings, and while it would be a major change to go from 2 low-end bodies with fast primes to a high-end body with a fast zoom (like the 28-70), I might be willing to do it. That setup would probably cost me 10K, though, even after selling my old gear.

unfocused

EOS-1D X Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
Getting an R1 or an R3 (and it will either be one or the other) really depends on whether I want to move to a single-body camera solution or not. I currently shoot with a pair of EOS RPs for events, theatre photos, and weddings, and while it would be a major change to go from 2 low-end bodies with fast primes to a high-end body with a fast zoom (like the 28-70), I might be willing to do it. That setup would probably cost me 10K, though, even after selling my old gear.
For the use cases you mention, an R5 is a lower cost option that sacrifices little to nothing (And I say that one who shoots with both an R3 and an R5).

kaihp

EOS R
CR Pro
Mar 19, 2012
The Most Ancient Kingdom of Denmark
So about 12-18 month until I could get R1.... makes me wonder if I should get R3 to replace my 1DX.
I moved from an 1DX to the R3. It's damn fast, but I'm still strugglig to learn how to take advantage of all the improvements. Getting there is definitely a journey.

For example, I haven't touched any of the AF modes yet.

navastronia

EOS RP + 5D Classic
Aug 31, 2018
For the use cases you mention, an R5 is a lower cost option that sacrifices little to nothing (And I say that one who shoots with both an R3 and an R5).

Great point, but . . . Is it vain and irrational that I really want a body with a built in vertical grip? Oh, it is? OK, yes, I suspected this ;)

Reactions: 3 users

tpatana

EOS 5D Mark IV
Nov 1, 2012
I use R5 with grip. Built-in is nicer but I have no complaints on R5 with grip.