The Canon EOS R1 may not come until the 2nd half of 2023 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been told not to expect the Canon EOS R1 “anytime soon”, as a retailer was told not to expect it until the second half of 2023.
With Canon and other manufacturers still suffering from inventory shortages, this shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. We also believe Canon wants to round out the lens lineup further before the EOS R1.
The Canon EOS R1 will probably be the camera body that moves EOS-1DX series professionals to mirrorless full-time.  Some will have already moved to the Canon EOS R3, but since that camera body has been difficult to acquire,  a lot of news agencies haven’t purchased Canon mirrorless cameras yet.
It probably makes better financial sense to address the EOS RP and EOS R replacements first, as well as rounding out the L and non-L lens lineup.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 users
Sep 11, 2014
It's frustrating that they keep releasing these items before there is enough of them built to get them into folks' hands. I think they're aware of this and don't want to piss off the people that buy these things in bulk, hence the R1 delay. In the meantime, speculate on specs for this thing?

I'm calling triple card slots.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
No big surprise. Was anyone seriously expecting it to be launched this year? If anything, the delay should prove beneficial, as Canon will have more time to study the opposition, and add features that they might otherwise have omitted. It's probably too late to make any major hardware changes (e.g. eliminating mechanical shutter), but plenty of time to perfect the firmware, minimising any bugs (although a lot of bugs only become apparent when a few thousand users have had the chance to put thousands of frames through a camera). Meanwhile anyone with an R3, R5 or R6 will already be pretty happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
My switch to mirrorless hangs on the RP2. Fix everything that everyone complaned about. A mini R3 if you will.
Very mini indeed - at that price point.

I still hope for an R1 dev announcement end of this year, with release/shipping in 2nd half 2023.

Wonder when the R5mkII will hit the streets? Could be around that same time. Or they may push it to 2024.

Brian

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Very mini indeed - at that price point.

I still hope for an R1 dev announcement end of this year, with release/shipping in 2nd half 2023.

Wonder when the R5mkII will hit the streets? Could be around that same time. Or they may push it to 2024.

Brian

I'd take an R6ii under 2k if they fixed all the problems and restraints it had.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Like me ol’ Irish Da used to say, “Wish in one hand and sh!t in the other, and see which fills up first.”

What you call ‘restrictions’, Canon calls market segmentation. It means that if you want R3 features, you need to pay for an R3.

But good luck with your wishing…

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Who wouldn't? While we're at it, I'll take an R3vII for $3k as well!

On another note - I've always lusted after the 1 series cameras. With the R6 performance being what it is, I can't imagine what more a one series could really give me that would make it worth 2-3x the cost. Though I may do one as a mid-life crisis gift to myself anyway :). The only two 'limits' I see on the R6 that I might find benefit from removing are 1) stacked sensor and 2) larger battery. A few more MP would be OK, but I could get that from an R5. In fact, if R5vII has a stacked sensor and remains below about 50mp that may be a 'last/forever' camera for me. A battery grip could solve the battery issue. I suspect QPAF could be in the next gen as well, and while DPAF has never really let me down I'm sure there will be an improvement with QPAF. I wouldn't upgrade for just that.

-Brian

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
2024 at the earliest is my guess.

The R5 has plenty of life left in it and is still one of the best cameras on the market (OK, I'm biased as I've got one)..

Budget "R100" will probably be next, followed by the hi-res R5S, then the R1.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Makes me even more glad that I ordered the R3 as early as possible, rather than holding out for an R1. When it comes along, I'll likely pick one up but by then my R3 will seen >2 years of use.
Hey Neuro, just curious, what kind of stuff do you shoot? You’re a well respected member of the CR community and you have some awesome gear, so yeah, what do you like to photograph!?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
In fact, if R5vII has a stacked sensor and remains below about 50mp that may be a 'last/forever' camera for me. A battery grip could solve the battery issue. I suspect QPAF could be in the next gen as well, and while DPAF has never really let me down I'm sure there will be an improvement with QPAF. I wouldn't upgrade for just that.
I'm not easily satisfied, but as a stills-only photographer, I don't see any real need for a R5Mkii for a while.

But what I would like to see, in order to keep the camera current and improve usability, are a few firmware "feature" upgrades e.g:

eye-AF and tracking using smaller zones as a start point
low/medium/high fps options with electronic shutter
exposure bracketing with electronic shutter
button assignment to toggle between single-shot and burst

I believe that all or most of the above could easily be implemented in firmware upgrades, without affecting sales of R3 or R7, which are differentiated by many other features.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Like me ol’ Irish Da used to say, “Wish in one hand and sh!t in the other, and see which fills up first.”

What you call ‘restrictions’, Canon calls market segmentation. It means that if you want R3 features, you need to pay for an R3.

But good luck with your wishing…
You’ll understand if I prefer to bump elbows than shake hands if we meet.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Makes me even more glad that I ordered the R3 as early as possible, rather than holding out for an R1. When it comes along, I'll likely pick one up but by then my R3 will seen >2 years of use.
Excellent point. I to have a R3 and will be glad to part with it after two years to "upgrade" to a R1. I suspect the R1 will be announced in the fall of 2023 with availability late 2023 / early 2024.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I know that Canon is listening to user feedback on the R3 for the final development of the R1. It makes sense to me that acquiring the feedback will take several months especially with the supply chain issues. I would rather have Canon delay the R1 by a few months and get the camera right than rush it to market just because buyers are becoming impatient.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I know that Canon is listening to user feedback on the R3 for the final development of the R1. It makes sense to me that acquiring the feedback will take several months especially with the supply chain issues. I would rather have Canon delay the R1 by a few months and get the camera right than rush it to market just because buyers are becoming impatient.
Given the R1 will be aimed at pros, and at getting them to make the jump to mirrorless, I'd expect there will be early versions of the R1 out with selected testers well in advance even of a development announcement. That is, probably already if they are aiming for release in 12-18 months time.

It's not a body I could ever justify buying, but my interest will be the feature set (including advances on the R3) because those are features that will likely (over time) filter down in some form into models aimed at the likes of me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0