The Canon EOS R1 may not come until the 2nd half of 2023 [CR2]

Feb 7, 2019
UK
Yes, I'd definitely consider an OM1 as a secondary system. The in-camera focus stacking and merging is a fantastic feature, especially when combined with the fast burst speed and what is probably the best image stabilisation on the market. Also there is Pro Capture, which is incredibly useful for capturing fast moving insects (or birds) at the "decisive moment". Zuiko lenses are also extremely sharp. On top of that consider that Olympus/OM Systems probably has the best weather-sealing of any brand. The only real limitation is the low megapixel count, which means you have to be pretty accurate with framing as there's little opportunity for anything other than minimal cropping.
Yeah I agree, if I have a few extra quid I’d consider getting an OM1 too. I’ve never used Canons focus bracketing though, hopefully the R7 will provide me with some new macro tools!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I wouldn't consider the R10 as a direct replacement for the RP due to the Full Frame RP vs R10 APS-C sensor.
With the RP you can get closer to the subject, for example portraits and get a more shallow depth of field, with the APS-C you will have to step back from the subject to get the same shot, with a deeper depth of field.
Or you could use an 80mm lens on an RP and 50mm lens on the R10 and shoot at the same distance, but the RP will have the more shallow depth of field at the same aperture due to the bigger lens.
All very understandable, but do the novices who are the target market feel the same way?
Do they know, or even care, that a full frame sensor is better in low light and for shallower d.o.f., or that a crop sensor will give more reach?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Yeah I agree, if I have a few extra quid I’d consider getting an OM1 too. I’ve never used Canons focus bracketing though, hopefully the R7 will provide me with some new macro tools!
Canon's focus bracketing works well on my R5, but (for me) has 2 drawbacks:

1) the settings can't be retained via a custom mode
2) the images can only be merged in post, not in-camera

Upvote 0
My professional camera for my line of work is the 5D Mk4. A year ago I bought the R5 and attempted to go mirrorless.

The R5 may have a lot of bells and whistles and improvements over the 5D Mk4, but at the end I'm still using the 5D Mk4 for my work. The R5 actually slows me down, electronic viewfinder doesn't even start near a pentaprism, and battery consumption is another big drawback.

None of these are much of a problem for my hobby work and travel, for which I use the R5. Mostly.

So, the R1 really needs to be professional grade for it to be adopted by professionals.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

You also can’t pick a starting position, it will force AF. I’d love to be able to set 2 focus positions and a number of shots and then have the camera do the rest.
And have a pre-shoot warning when you’re going to exceed the buffer, it will slow down a lot when that happens.

Upvote 0
My switch to mirrorless hangs on the RP2. Fix everything that everyone complaned about. A mini R3 if you will.

I think the RP is still a great secondary camera. The thing that surprised me the most about it was how much better it was at focusing compared to its DSLR equivalent (the 6D2). I still have my 6D2 and RP and with the exact same lens, the RP pretty much always took sharper pictures even on nonmoving objects (like taking photos of a soda can).

The other thing that surprised me was how much better the shutter sounds on my R5. The R5 has a pretty quiet shutter and the sound is good. The RP shutter has a thunk thunk thunk sound.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And everyone who orders on release day will get one the first week, like always.
No longer true. R3 preorders went live at 6a ET, people (like me) who ordered before ~9a got their cameras from the first batch, around Thanksgiving. Those ordering later than ~9a on launch day had to wait a few months.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
No longer true. R3 preorders went live at 6a ET, people (like me) who ordered before ~9a got their cameras from the first batch, around Thanksgiving. Those ordering later than ~9a on launch day had to wait a few months.
This is a valid statement and I would expect a similar situation with all future releases especially the R1.

Upvote 0

Agreed. I had hoped it was possible to merge in-camera as I'm now running an R6 without a computer, but it's not to be (and it seems there's no phone-compatible stacking software).

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Agreed. I had hoped it was possible to merge in-camera as I'm now running an R6 without a computer, but it's not to be (and it seems there's no phone-compatible stacking software).
It obviously varies according to how many images are in the stack, but I've been told that it takes about 15 seconds on average, for Olympus cameras to perform the merging and output the final image. The slower readout and larger individual images on a FF camera would probably drag that out to 2 minutes or longer, even with a fast processor, so that's probably why the R5 and R6 can't merge in-camera.

It would be nice to be able to check the final result at the time of taking, but for now it seems like we have to wait until we get back home on the computer before we can see how well the image works. Either that, or invest in an Olympus!

Upvote 0
It obviously varies according to how many images are in the stack, but I've been told that it takes about 15 seconds on average, for Olympus cameras to perform the merging and output the final image. The slower readout and larger individual images on a FF camera would probably drag that out to 2 minutes or longer, even with a fast processor, so that's probably why the R5 and R6 can't merge in-camera.

It would be nice to be able to check the final result at the time of taking, but for now it seems like we have to wait until we get back home on the computer before we can see how well the image works. Either that, or invest in an Olympus!
Yeah, and it's still great they offer the bracketing. Mind you, with the MP-E it would still have to be done the old-fashioned way (I still have a focusing rail somewhere!).

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK

Merging in post is what I would do anyway. I like using Zerene and that gives me the ability to retouch them then.

Does the focus bracketing work with flash??? The Olys do.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Merging in post is what I would do anyway. I like using Zerene and that gives me the ability to retouch them then.

Does the focus bracketing work with flash??? The Olys do.
On the R5 it’s e-shutter only, which doesn’t allow flash. I haven’t looked at the R3 manual to see if that allows it.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I think the RP is still a great secondary camera. The thing that surprised me the most about it was how much better it was at focusing compared to its DSLR equivalent (the 6D2). I still have my 6D2 and RP and with the exact same lens, the RP pretty much always took sharper pictures even on nonmoving objects (like taking photos of a soda can).

The other thing that surprised me was how much better the shutter sounds on my R5. The R5 has a pretty quiet shutter and the sound is good. The RP shutter has a thunk thunk thunk sound.

which is useless in a low noise event

Upvote 0