The Canon EOS R3 at the Tokyo Olympic Games

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
When used with your g cameras, did it tag your photos properly as you moved about?
In Hawaii that wasn’t an issue, of course, since I just set the time zone in the camera appropriately. But on my last trip to Europe, it didn’t automatically change time zones, but once set, it always got the GMT correct. I had the time zone set up correctly for summer time in Italy from the first part of the trip. The last 14 nights were on a cruise that went back and forth between that zone and that of Greece. Somewhere in there summer time ended. I manually set my phone, and therefore my watch to whatever the ships time would be the next day. I didn’t fiddle with the G’s clock. But on the tours from the ship, there was never an issue of location. So I didn’t bother to take locating iPhone shots.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
There will be a bunch of used R3's after the testing at the Olympics, I wonder how long those remain off the market. Can't see them wanting those out there while they are selling brand new ones at full price at product introduction date.
Aren’t they on loan from Canon? If they go on the market ever, wouldn’t they sell as Canon refurbs?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
But why would they be so determined to do this ? There must be a good reason. I suspect the mp is going to cause a surprise so it has either to be relatively low or high either side of the current ‘normal’. Maybe it’s ‘low’ mid twenties but has quad pixel ? Or some practical way of increasing the resolution / output size, as pixel shift is pretty compromised as a useful tool.
There is a greater that 0% chance there is more than one Sensor size being tested right now within the pool of MA\PR hardware. We do the same thing with our Avigilon Cameras and our partners (not so much sensor size) but different processors, connection types, mounting options, codecs, etc. This is one of the major benefits of a pilot run with NDA'ed partners, real world feedback.

Personally I think the most often rumored 30mp will be the final senor size but I would also bet that there are some 45MP (or higher) variants out there if for no other reason to test higher MP in the new body style to collect data points for the R1.

I think Canon is keeping this internal to ensure no cross information gets leaked.

Just a guess

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Aren’t they on loan from Canon? If they go on the market ever, wouldn’t they sell as Canon refurbs?
Maybe. The thing is that most Canon refurbs have barely any shutter count. These bodies might end up with 50,000, 100,000 or more actuations. (I'm basing that estimate on my own usage pattern, where I often shoot 3,000 or more frames in a single basketball, volleyball or soccer game). Of course, it would be a simple matter for Canon to replace the shutter before selling them. No rush, since they won't be selling any refurbs for two years or so. On the other hand, I don't know if Canon offers to sell the bodies to the photographers or agencies at a deep discount after the games are over.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
There is a greater that 0% chance there is more than one Sensor size being tested right now within the pool of MA\PR hardware...
There is a greater than 0% chance, but it's probably .00001% or less. If Canon is going to announce the body in September and have it available shortly thereafter, they have to be well into production by this time. Certainly they are too far along to be making changes in sensors. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of underlying electronics and programming that would have to change, You can't just switch resolution at the last minute.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Maybe. The thing is that most Canon refurbs have barely any shutter count. These bodies might end up with 50,000, 100,000 or more actuations. (I'm basing that estimate on my own usage pattern, where I often shoot 3,000 or more frames in a single basketball, volleyball or soccer game). Of course, it would be a simple matter for Canon to replace the shutter before selling them. No rush, since they won't be selling any refurbs for two years or so. On the other hand, I don't know if Canon offers to sell the bodies to the photographers or agencies at a deep discount after the games are over.
I would think there will be events after these Olympics where Canon will have R3 bodies to loan, as replacements should a CPS member’s fail if nothing else. Why would they not just keep these as perpetual loaners at supported events?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would think there will be events after these Olympics where Canon will have R3 bodies to loan, as replacements should a CPS member’s fail if nothing else. Why would they not just keep these as perpetual loaners at supported events?
Yes, good point. That's also a very likely possibility.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
That is a very good point. R3s used at the Olympics would make good loaner bodies for CPS members. In terms of resolution I really hope as well that the sensor is 30 MP. Enough of an increase over a 1Dx series to be meaningful, but still leaves niche for the R5. The ergonomics on the R3 look excellent and is one of the main reasons I am buying one this fall.

Upvote 0
You don't need GPS when your mobile has it and the camera can attach to the mobile and use the GPS.

You mean, you can get Canon's software to sync to your phone without menu diving every time? I cannot.

Also, it forces me to take the R5 off airplane mode, which starts all the hamster wheels going, eating into my batteries.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
In my experience, which isn’t huge, at big events where Canon are there as full support as in the Olympics, you don’t need to be a CPS member or indeed own a camera to borrow gear. If you have an accredited press pass you can borrow anything for free.

Of course CPS and the various other Canon pro support networks will need copious loaners and support cameras for future use so I’d expect those at the Olympics to stay in house. I’m sure some will go back to the factory and get taken apart and inspected for wear too.

Upvote 0
You may not remember the guy a few weeks back talking about astrology lenses and astrology cameras. So, you missed again. Signature Satire
I could definitely see a use case for a lens that can tell my clients’ future.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I see this response frequently, and I'm curious if you've actually used this solution and found it functional?
I tried it and wasn't happy: I found it difficult to set up and unreliable. Some photos are correctly tagged, while others are not, and as mentioned by others, it drains two batteries (phone and camera).

What I love to do? When shooting on the move, I record my "travels" on my Garmin watch, then import this "event" in Lightroom and use the "Relevé d'itinéraire" (sorry, I don't know the name in english) function that tags every photos in a few seconds.

You only have to make sure your camera date and time are accurate. Everything else is absolutely fluid.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I tried it and wasn't happy: I found it difficult to set up and unreliable. Some photos are correctly tagged, while others are not, and as mentioned by others, it drains two batteries (phone and camera).

What I love to do? When shooting on the move, I record my "travels" on my Garmin watch, then import this "event" in Lightroom and use the "Relevé d'itinéraire" (sorry, I don't know the name in english) function that tags every photos in a few seconds.

You only have to make sure your camera date and time are accurate. Everything else is absolutely fluid.
Thanks for the reply! That pretty much mirrors my experience. I would connect my camera to the Connect app when starting my a hike or kayak trip, and every photo from that outing would have the coordinates of the spot where I made that initial connection. This result was consistently reproducible.

Your solution is exactly what I do as well. The vast majority of my photo outings are walking, hiking, or kayaking and recorded with the Garmin, import the track log, then use the "auto-tag photos" option and all is well.

Upvote 0