The Canon EOS R3 pricing to undercut the competition [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have had many discussions with various sources about the upcoming Canon EOS R3.  One of the most asked questions is how much will the Canon EOS R3 cost at launch?
Multiple folks have told me that Canon has been vague about pricing, but that the Canon EOS R3 would undercut both the Sony Alpha a1 ($6498) and Canon’s own EOS-1D X Mark III ($6499) at launch.
One source did say that they think the EOS R3 would launch at $5999 based on hints from a couple of people at Canon.
That price definitely doesn’t fall under “affordable”, but it would be a pretty big achievement when compared to the Sony flagship, which doesn’t have a full-size gripped body.
There will be some more information to share about the Canon EOS R3 in the next few...

Continue reading...

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Personally, I think the Sony a1 is overpriced to start.

Sometimes Canon say a new model sits below a particular existing model, but then spec and features of the newer model outweigh the model it is supposed to be sitting under.

The EOS R3 sounds awesome and putting the EOS R system into Pro Bodies will be a big nail in the coffin of Canon DSLR’s

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I just googled and the grip for A1 costs $349, so if R3 will be priced at $5999, the difference in price will be $849. Will people spending $6000 on camera body care about this?
Well I personally consider the entire cost of any upgrade, that includes the cost of a grip/WFT/cards/card readers/batteries/chargers etc and if any of that is backwards/forwards compatible.

It looks like the R3 could take the current 1 series battery, irrelevant for many but for me it means I have forward/backward compatibility and I only need to travel with one charger.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I just googled and the grip for A1 costs $349, so if R3 will be priced at $5999, the difference in price will be $849. Will people spending $6000 on camera body care about this?
As someone that works in ”TV” and has multiple cameras sitting in my office that sold for many tens of thousands of dollars each when they were new(three that were at least $40K or more), I’ll say, “It depends...”. Professionals can be a funny bunch. We can drop thousands on some accessories and not think twice about it, especially if we think it will help us/make our lives easier, but something that may only cost $100 or even a few tens of dollars, may be deemed not worth it or “too expensive” for what it is.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
There is a growing opposition to Olympics and given how cases of malware are on rise in Japan chances are reducing of Olympics actually taking place.
A recent NYTimes article had the title "A new poll in Japan finds 83 percent don’t want the Olympics this summer", but the people in charge seem determined to go ahead with it anyway.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
A recent NYTimes article had the title "A new poll in Japan finds 83 percent don’t want the Olympics this summer", but the people in charge seem determined to go ahead with it anyway.

Today I read about doctors writing to PM of Japan on cancelling the event with protests taking place with regards to opposition to Olympics. Apparently even IOC is hellbent on ensuring Olympics go ahead along with Japanese Govt.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I’ve been thinking that the price would be just about between the R5 and the 1DxmkIII. Maybe $5,000. It doesn’t make sense that this would be $6,000. Canon has had a flagship at $6,000 before, which is why it doesn’t make sense to me. If they then come out with an R1, how much would that cost? What would the market bear these days? I believe Canon would be pushing their luck if it cost too much.

how much would anyone here pay for an R1, no matter how good it would be? Seriously? $7,000, $7,500, $8,000, more?

if the R3 were $6,000, how much would Canon NEED to charge for a flagship in order to differentiate between the two? $500, $1,000, more?

to me, the idea of this costing $6,000 causes problems.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0