The Canon EOS R3 pricing to undercut the competition [CR3]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yes the perspective will change with focal length. Let me know when a 8-100mm macro lens is available that I can take underwater and we can chat.

Perspective changes with shooting position. Period.

No matter what focal length or sensor size one is using, an image taken from the same position has the same perspective (though not the same angle of view).

No matter if one uses the same focal length and camera, if one moves the camera in relation to the scene, the perspective changes.

Upvote 0
Perspective changes with shooting position. Period.

No matter what focal length or sensor size one is using, an image taken from the same position has the same perspective (though not the same angle of view).

No matter if one uses the same focal length and camera, if one moves the camera in relation to the scene, the perspective changes.

You are missing my original point that croppability is very useful in the R5 as I often have to do it as I can't change lenses when under water. Yes the perspective will be different but I wasn't trying to argue that it wasn't.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
You are missing my original point that croppability is very useful in the R5 as I often have to do it as I can't change lenses when under water. Yes the perspective will be different but I wasn't trying to argue that it wasn't.

And you're still missing my point that you can't get a 30mm or 50mm field of view by cropping an image captured with a 70mm or 100mm lens. You can only crop from a wider lens to get the angle of view of a narrower lens, not the opposite.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The R5's resolution means that I can get away with cropping from 70mm or 100mm down to 35-50mm focal range without too many dramas.
I think most of us know you meant cropping from 35-50mm down to 70-100mm FoV, but that’s not what you wrote.

You misspoke, @Michael Clark made a joke about it, and many dramas have followed.

Upvote 0
Who is going to buy a 20MP camera? This is such a waste. I'd rather see you poor souls by a Z9 if you can't wait for the R1. Get a used R5 and cook on it, but don't spend good money on a 20MP camera in 2021.

Many of the users of those cameras are going to have a camera bag full of lenses worth more than a small car. They've also been fine with 1DX resolution up to now.

Unless they need 8K I can't imagine the resolution putting many off.

Upvote 0