The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I wouldn't be able to afford it even for $4000. But logically, $6000+taxes - way too much. Obviously, Canon is aiming at agencies only. Photographers who pay for their own equipment won't be very happy to spend that much.
I think the largest market will be well off enthusiasts who won't miss the $6k.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
When exactly will retailers have the camera available for preorder? Is it once the "announcement" event concludes, or at the start? was a day late on the R5 and suffered the consequences..
I would expect when the announcement starts at 6 am EST on Tuesday Sept 14.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I can't help but feel like the "squarely between" comment was misleading, if this pricing is accurate.

Performance "category" "squarely between" the R5 and 1DXiii, but pricing just about on par with the 1DXiii?

"The Canon EOS R3 will join the current lineup of EOS R full-frame mirrorless series cameras. This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras."

Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

MELVILLE, NY, April 14, 2021– Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced that its parent company, Canon Inc., is developing a
www.canonrumors.com
www.canonrumors.com

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
They really should have called this the R1.

Why not? Modest bump in resolution over the 1DXIII, same ergonomics, same weather sealing. They could even come up with some marketing reason to excuse the mismatched card slots.

At the end of the day, it's too expensive to not be the flagship :confused:

Someone pointed out way back when this camera was first posted here that it probably was the R1 originally, but they saw the Sony a1 out-spec'd it so they changed the name.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

DrToast

CR Pro
Mar 10, 2016
Someone pointed out way back when this camera was first posted here that it probably was the R1 originally, but they saw the Sony a1 out-spec'd it so they changed the name.

That makes a lot of sense to me. But then they went ahead and priced it so close to the A1. And as others have mentioned, what will the R1 cost?! Very strange.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I doubt this was the R1. Seeing how the R5 was probably "made" in like 2019 with all those crazy specs. Covid or something probably delayed everything. R1 probably would have been ready this year with the R3. Just like how the R5 and R6 came out close to each other. No dual CFE slots is the biggest giveaway body wise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
R3 is a stacked BSI and will be a much better camera ergonomically so that cancells out the 50mp depending on ones use case. The R1 is likely going to be the one camera to rule them all and will be priced accordingly.
You make a great observation that higher MP is not an advantage for all photographers depending on the application. I do miss the integrated grip and 1-series ergonomics on the R5 and it is a primary reason I am adding a R3 to my camera bag.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
They really should have called this the R1.

Why not? Modest bump in resolution over the 1DXIII, same ergonomics, same weather sealing. They could even come up with some marketing reason to excuse the mismatched card slots.

At the end of the day, it's too expensive to not be the flagship :confused:
To all those kvetching about price, the value of the dollar is dropping like a rock and if Canon doesn't forward price, they will either have to raise the price shortly down the road (which is damn hard) or take a bath on the currency exchange. Be prepared for this strategy from all the camera manufacturers.

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Quite the sticker price for a non-flagship camera. ;-) In all seriousness, I'm surprised it clocked that high. The $5200ish range made sense, $5999 is steep. And yes, an additional $5-700 on an over $5K purchase is somewhat negligible, but that's still a steep price. Can't wait to sit on the proverbial sidelines and watch the deep pockets test this thing out. I'll stick with my more than adequate R5.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
To all those kvetching about price, the value of the dollar is dropping like a rock and if Canon doesn't forward price, they will either have to raise the price shortly down the road (which is damn hard) or take a bath on the currency exchange. Be prepared for this strategy from all the camera manufacturers.
Can they not price them differently in different markets?

Upvote 0
And others pointed out that with the way businesses operate, Canon knew the a1 specs long ago.
This camera was always meant to be the R3. There's the eye control AF which goes back to the EOS 3. There's the mixed card slots...the top flagship will most likely use 2 CFExpress B cards. I would bet the flagship will have dual processors.

But if anyone understands how these large companies operate and their project management, you realize that such a name change at the last minute to react to Sony is simply not possible. Those who suggest this name change theory act as if such a change is trivial. In reality it is anything but.

Consider some of the ramifications of such a name change. You have to change all internal communications, and communications with outside partners, from manufacturing to sales. You have to alter product documentation, like manuals, and marketing materials. You also have to retool the assembly line to place that R3 badge on the camera. That in itself is hardly trivial.

But perhaps the biggest dominos to fall would be that you would have to change your entire product segmentation strategy and your future development plans. All of a sudden you send marketing and engineering into a big scramble. You now have to develop an R1 which you were not counting on, and find the resources and time to do so. Of course that would also take resources away from the products you already had planned, and so your release timetable is altered. In short, everything is altered by that seemingly small little name change.

That name change theory may seem convenient to some, but it doesn't reflect an understanding of what it takes to bring these products to the market.

Reactions: 19 users
Upvote 0
The value of the dollar is not dropping like a rock. One year ago the dollar was worth 106.16 yen. Now it's worth 109.93 yen. So actually the dollar has gone up against the yen.

If we go back one month, the dollar was worth 110.38 yen and today it is 109.93. A slight drop but hardly dropping like a rock...just normal fluctuations. In the last day the dollar went up, from 109.78 to 109.93.

So in reality the dollar vs yen has been remarkably stable, with overall the dollar gaining a bit against the yen.

So I don't know where the idea comes from about the dollar "dropping like a rock." That is contradicted by facts.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

DrToast

CR Pro
Mar 10, 2016
dollar-yen-exchange-rate-historical-chart-2021-09-10-macrotrends (1).png

Here's the dollar/yen chart for the last 5 years. Where is the dollar dropping like a rock?

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
When exactly will retailers have the camera available for preorder? Is it once the "announcement" event concludes, or at the start? was a day late on the R5 and suffered the consequences..
One of the great things about always dealing with and having a relationship with a small shop, in my case, Camtecphoto in Montreal, I called weeks before the R5 and asked they add my name to the list when the time comes. Done! I got the camera the first day. You just can't do that with huge retailers anymore.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
View attachment 200128

Here's the dollar/yen chart for the last 5 years. Where is the dollar dropping like a rock?
People on these forums, and in general online, just make stuff up based on their biases, feelings, and some strange assumptions. We have this case where someone asserted that the dollar was dropping like a rock, when it's very easy to verify that it is not in fact dropping like a rock.

We have some saying that Canon must have changed the name of what was going to be the R1 to the R3 at the last minute, after they saw the A1, when in fact that's a practical impossibility given the functioning of these companies and their product development.

It's like all who have said that Canon is surely going to fail, when in fact they have held steady leadership in the camera market for years now.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0