The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

Canon is accelerating it ,
Higher price , heavier lens/ smaller aperture, close mount algorithm ( much fewer 3rd lens than Sony) , etc.....................
actually, both AP and PA switch to sony ............
You do realize that Sony pays agencies like AP to switch, right? They didn't switch because they like Sony cameras so much, because they could buy Sigma lenses, because they were lighter, or because the photographers didn't care about the unparalleled service they would get from CPS, they did it because some bean counters made a deal. I know more photographers in my area that recently switched from Nikon to Canon than from Canon to Sony and none of them left Canon since the R5 release.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
The other aspect you didn't mention is the cost of the servers to store it all.
We have a max output size on the long side that came out of discussions based solely on a server upgrade and the related costs.

Well then just store the medium-resolution JPEG. And anyone else who wants maximum resolution can store the RAW.

If you have 5000 shots from a day's event it doesn't matter if they're 24 or 45 MP RAW, you still have 5000 JPEG thumbnails to review. And discard the ones you don't need.

Upvote 0
very interesting to see the price disparity, $6000 usd is $8156aussie and the euro conversion makes it $9794 those Europeans are getting shafted by canon crazy. the $1600 dollar difference you could fly to USA and have a holiday and pay no taxes! apart from Covid meaning we cant even leave our own country. at least until next year some time. You d have to be crazy to buy one in Europe from a dealer.
There is a flaw in this! The 8156 AUD is without tax and the 9794 AUD is with 20% tax. Difference is 1638 AUD, but the extra tax (20% of 8156 AUD) is 1631 AUD. That means Canon are shafting European customers by 7 AUD (< 0.1%). If anyone, Europeans are getting shafted by their (our) governments.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have a question, if Canon were to use the 45MP R5 sensor in the R3 and if you were able to select a 24MP RAW mode, would that have the same speed in FPS, focus and everything else as an actual 24MP sensor? Perhaps the new stacked sensor will have lower noise and better DR and will be worth it for the market it's intended for?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have a question, if Canon were to use the 45MP R5 sensor in the R3 and if you were able to select a 24MP RAW mode, would that have the same speed in FPS, focus and everything else as an actual 24MP sensor? Perhaps the new stacked sensor will have lower noise and better DR and will be worth it for the market it's intended for?
The stacked sensor is unlikely to have more than minimal differences in noise and DR. For example, the Sony 50 mpx stack sensor in its A1 has very similar DR to its conventional sensor in its 61 mpx A7RIV https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony ILCE-1,Sony ILCE-7RM4 or dynamic range shadow improvement https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#Sony ILCE-1,Sony ILCE-7RM4

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
fair enough we must be luck as we have duty free limits , and generally they only tax tobacco at about 400% but if its open and using it they would never know you brought it. Before covid I used to always buy big budget items tax free on holidays. Sorry to hear the govts are slamming you for the extra not good
We have to keep receipts on our gear ready to show the customs, even for old gear, if you can’t prove you didn’t buy it while traveling you can be forced to pay the taxes on retail Norwegian price (again). Luckily it’s not like they have resources to really pick you out and follow through, but it happens.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
An update from Nokishita

The planned domestic release dates for new Canon products are RF100-400mm and RF16mm in late October 2021, R3 and accessories (ST-E10 / AD-E1 / ER-L1 / ER-hE / ER-h) in late November. It seems that the multi-accessory shoe smartphone adapter "AP-D1" will be in February 2022, and the multi-accessory shoe stereo microphone "DM-E1D" will be in March 2022.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
So, what I am anticipating eventually happening is Canon having two 'integrated grip' models, the R3 being like the old 1D series which is optimised for sports and news where speed and in-camera jpg quality matters more than resolution, and an R1 being like the 1Ds line which is optimised for studio, landscape and architecture where resolution and the best possible raw quality is prioritised over speed.

The 1D line always had higher pixel density than the 1Ds, just on a smaller sensor area. For example the 1D IV scaled to full-frame would have been 27MP equivalent, well beyond the 21MP 1Ds III.

It was only with the 1DX series that the 'explanation' that 'pros don't need resolution' arose.

Upvote 0
It has nothing to do with chip shortages. Everyone is facing the same chip shortages, yet Canon is the only one raising prices on lenses. It has everything to do with their insane greed, like this stupidly priced $6k camera. Keep it up Canon, you are pricing yourself right out of the market. Sony and Nikon are celebrating right now.
I find it quite interesting that you have such a strong dislike and opinion yet you’re still on a Canon discussion site. Hypocrite

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I wonder how it is with Switzerland. They "only" have 7.7% VAT and it is not very hard to "smuggle" things to Germany. You can just walk across the border. And if that does npt work, you can walk to France and from there to Germany. That is very easy in Basel, Switzeland, as those three countries meet there. However Switzerland is very rich and everything usually is more expensive there. I am not sure about cameras.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
It has nothing to do with chip shortages. Everyone is facing the same chip shortages, yet Canon is the only one raising prices on lenses. It has everything to do with their insane greed, like this stupidly priced $6k camera. Keep it up Canon, you are pricing yourself right out of the market. Sony and Nikon are celebrating right now.
That’s simply not true. Other manufacturers are also raising prices. Case in point Leica announced price increases across the board. Here’s is chat about camera system price increases in dpreview.

It’s probable that you only notice when Canon does this, because you primarily are interested in Canon.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Kiton I worked for pay in college but now just a serious enthusiast. Do you just send the JPEGs to the editors basically untouched and they crop etc?

The fotog crops, colour correct and add full captions. They FTP back to the office.
No heal tool, no layers, no clone tool allowed.

We use to file our selects in RAW and Jpeg at the end of the month for the archive.
Then it was cut to just the jpeg.
Then it was cut to just what we sent back and the original untouched jpeg.
Then it was cut again to just what we FTP, there is no more monthly drop to the archive.

I store the full selects folder with raw and jpeg myself on mirrored hard drives.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
Well at Adorama, it's $1098, so the price is $600 different. However, I don't consider this a fair comparison. That 1mm at the wide end is huge, and the Sony lens--one of Sony's first G lenses--is at best extremely ordinary. It's quite good from 16-21mm, but just okay to mediocre beyond 24mm. Thus, the Canon zoom is worth a significant premium over the Sony. Whether that difference is $500-$600, only the purchaser can say. I ended up with the 15-35L gray market for $1900. No regrets.

You are lucky you can get grey market. Not an option here, and Canon restricts B+H from shipping most canon gear to Canada.
If I had that choice I think I would have taken the same path as yourself.

The 14-35 is a little too dark in the corners at 14 for my taste buds, but I do love the light weight in my pocket.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
Wait. Stop. A 'PRO' does not need 1dx or such. A huge amount of 'pro' work is headshots, product shots, advertising, medical, photos for website etc etc etc. The cameras you think a PRO needs is misguided. Just because a camera is a flagship does not make it the choice of 'pro' who need to look at ROI, mpx etc. R1/3 is for high-end photojournalists, wildlife and sports shooters. These cameras are designed for them, as for them not missing a shot is paramount.

Most photographers I know and work with are somewhat shitty business people in the sense that ROI is far less important that great pictures. Great pictures ARE the ROI. Every newspaper and wire shooter still using Canon that I know is talking about the R3 based on olympic rumors. Having shot the entire Stanley Cup playoffs and finals on the R5, I know the R5 can do the job, so I am in wait and see, take the camera for a walk first mode for the R3.

You are right on the studio shooter front. All the studio guys I speak with are much happier with the 45mp of the R5 that eye focusing etc etc.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
My only problem with that is that the R5 has such a bad time picking the warblers out of the scrub. I was so excited this year at Magee Marsh to have 45mp and found myself struggling at times if the bird was in the bushes (which is where they almost always are with Warblers). I will say the shots I got were phenomenal (and Magee was slow this year), but I think I got more keepers with Warblers when I shot the 1DX II. It's that darn huge focus point for single-point focus. Not sure if I'll use the R3 or R5 at Magee next year, but who knows. I know I was never unhappy with the detail at 20mp with the 1DX II. Another place I'm hoping to see improvement.
Did you try Spot AF instead of single point? The Spot is pretty small and does a good job for me in shooting scenarios like you describe. I have 3 back buttons set up for 3 different AF methods. I have the AF-ON button set to eye detect with tracking and the AF Point Select button set to Spot AF. If I have a small bird in a bush I start with Spot to get initial focus on the bird and then switch to eye detect. Many times once the camera "knows" what you want to focus on by you telling it with Spot AF it will then track that subject very well with eye detect. Just a suggestion you might try as it works for me on the R5.

Upvote 0
Did you try Spot AF instead of single point? The Spot is pretty small and does a good job for me in shooting scenarios like you describe. I have 3 back buttons set up for 3 different AF methods. I have the AF-ON button set to eye detect with tracking and the AF Point Select button set to Spot AF. If I have a small bird in a bush I start with Spot to get initial focus on the bird and then switch to eye detect. Many times once the camera "knows" what you want to focus on by you telling it with Spot AF it will then track that subject very well with eye detect. Just a suggestion you might try as it works for me on the R5.
Yes, I have Spot AF set on my * key and Eye Detect with Tracking on my AF-On button. I'm not saying it never worked, but it was unreliable compared to my previous experience. I follow the same procedure that you outlined. The camera also loved to jump from the Warblers eyes to a leaf. I'm not thrilled the R3 is 24mp, but if the AF is better, I'd rather have a sharp photo then a bit more resolution. I'm also keeping my R5, so I guess I'll have a choice.

Upvote 0