The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

can you post a link to where it says that the 5 year warranty isn't transferrable? We don't need to "register" to get the extended warranty so how would Canon know if you sold it with the original receipt but void the remaining warranty?

Here you go - https://www.canon.com.au/support/warranty

Point 5. "This Warranty is non-transferable"

They require you to send in the original receipt for warranty work so I'm assuming they just check your name against that. I suppose you could try and get around it by just making a new email adress, and putting a different name on the box? Not really sure how they check these things...

Upvote 0
No one wants 4 year old cameras that were so gimped they sucked when they were released, and no one wants garbage quality budget gear either. Thats Canon's problem. The cameras and lenses are either so expensive you need to mortgage your home, or they are entry level garbage. There is ZERO middle ground. Thats where 3rd party companies like Sigma and Tamron would greatly help out, but Canon is too greedy to allow it. Hell, they already chased Samyang off.
Ever think that Canon believes that their adapted EF lens range is the middle ground?
Almost all the RF lens range expand the features from their EF counterparts so could be considered a step above the EF version in the market

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Here you go - https://www.canon.com.au/support/warranty

Point 5. "This Warranty is non-transferable"

They require you to send in the original receipt for warranty work so I'm assuming they just check your name against that. I suppose you could try and get around it by just making a new email adress, and putting a different name on the box? Not really sure how they check these things...
Interesting. Not sure if they can enforce this legally ie the ACCC/fair trading would have an issue with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
To all those kvetching about price, the value of the dollar is dropping like a rock and if Canon doesn't forward price, they will either have to raise the price shortly down the road (which is damn hard) or take a bath on the currency exchange. Be prepared for this strategy from all the camera manufacturers.
Perhaps the "dropping like a rock" is referring to the impending US debt default as the US politicians again argue about the debt ceiling with brinksmanship. There always seems to be a inverse spike when this issue comes up.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Not sure if they can enforce this legally ie the ACCC/fair trading would have an issue with it.
On that Warranty page they state: "In addition to your consumer rights, Canon offers the following manufacturer’s warranty"

Australian law may entitle you to a "consumer guarantee" of some description for perhaps 1-2 years from date of original purchase even if the product is second hand. But I'm not sure if they would be able to enforce a transfer of the 5 year warranty period on second hand goods?

After some quick reading, it also makes a difference as to weather you purchased the second hand goods from a business that is considered a "retailer" that sells second hand goods for a living.. or just a one off purchase from a private seller.

Upvote 0

Jsjamesok

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
Spot on, on many fronts.
I shoot for the biggest newspaper group in the country and we are all running 1d X mk 2 with zero plans to update in the foreseeable future.
The mk 2 is still a good camera. So I buy my own.

The other aspect you didn't mention is the cost of the servers to store it all.
We have a max output size on the long side that came out of discussions based solely on a server upgrade and the related costs.
Kiton I worked for pay in college but now just a serious enthusiast. Do you just send the JPEGs to the editors basically untouched and they crop etc?

Upvote 0

Jsjamesok

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
Maybe when L lenses are actually ready and available the rate will increase.
It is hard to commit to a system when you go to B&H and there are only 2 L lenses available to order.
What is worse is the adapters are hardly ever in stock, why buy a camera if you are unable to get the lens you want or the adapter for the lens you have.
I actually ordered my adapter last October and I ordered my R5 when it arrived in early December. Stared at the adapter for about a month. I've bought some strange things but it was strangest recently.

I've got a four good L series EF lenses, so it was a good call. But my experience was what you describe. B&H delivery of adapter was twice as long as the R5 body.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Maybe when L lenses are actually ready and available the rate will increase.
It is hard to commit to a system when you go to B&H and there are only 2 L lenses available to order.
What is worse is the adapters are hardly ever in stock, why buy a camera if you are unable to get the lens you want or the adapter for the lens you have.
1) Put the adapters on the Canon Price Watch notification list. The Canon store regularly gets "refurbished" adapters in stock at a nice discount. You just have to act fast.
2) For lenses that are in high demand, you really need to go ahead and order them. B&H, Amazon and Adorama do get lenses in stock but they immediately ship them out to customers on the waiting list. It took about four months but B&H finally shipped the 100-500 lenses (two because I bought one for my wife as well).
3) Again, put any lenses you want on your Canon Price Watch notification list. The 70-200 2.8 actually comes into stock at the refurbished store fairly regularly and the Canon store does get some stock of other high demand lenses (new) but you have to at fast because they go out of stock within a few hours or even minutes.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Kiton I worked for pay in college but now just a serious enthusiast. Do you just send the JPEGs to the editors basically untouched and they crop etc?
I don't know what his situation is, but I can tell you that on many midmarket newspapers in the U.S. there are no photo editors to send anything to anymore. Heck, our local paper (which is in the capital city) doesn't even have copy editors anymore (which is apparent from the massive number of typos in every edition).

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
What happened to my 1D X this year made me cautious about buying another €6,000 camera. Although I thought that the shutter would be the first thing to break after a high number of shots, it was the main board that suddenly stopped working. I have read that many 1D X owners had the same problem. One guy even reported that it happened again with his replaced main board. I had to pay more than €600 to get a new main board. That still sounds okay, but I can never be sure when this will happen again. The main reason I bought the 1D X was that I thought it would be reliable and therefore justify the price. If the shutter is rated 400,000 shots and the rest of the camera should last even longer, such a camera should basically work forever, as I take less than 10,000 shots per year. The truth is though that it broke after about 60,000 shots just because of electronics.

My concern is that mirrorless cameras rely on electronics even more. Will Canon really put super reliable electronic components into its new cameras or do they expect professionals to use a camera no longer than five years or so anyway? We see that problem at Apple. Apple does not expect customers to use any of their products for more than five years and their smartphones even much shorter. While I have a lot of trust in Leica for example who would always use the best componenst available in the market, I am not so sure if Canon shares that philosophy. If there is a transistor available for 30 cents that lasts five years and another for 50 cents that lasts twenty years, my fear is that Canon would opt for the cheaper one as five years are "long enough".

Some Canon cameras recently had large problems with heat. Even if the R3 will not have to shut down because of overheating, heat can still lower the life of the electronics significantly. If I was really going to spend over €6,000 on another camera, I want to have trust that it works MUCH longer than the warranty lasts if I handle it very well. What the R3 is capable of would easily satisfy my needs for another ten years of so and after that time I would still love to have it as a backup camera. Can I really have that trust in a camera that even needs electronicy just to use the viewfinder? What if the R3 has some flaws and most bodies will stop working after a few years? How long will the IBIS work and how much will it cost to repair it? After what happened to my 1D X and learning that it happens quite often, I need some time to get back some trust in Canon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A couple of things, a camera isn’t the only expensive thing in Europe, it would easily cost more than $1600 to fly to the us and back not counting a visa and hotel etc. The exchange rate is nowadays horrible against the dollar, being 50% higher than ten years ago. Plus you have to take time off work and lose money. On your arrival back you should go though customs with the camera and pay the tax on the US price anyway, can’t just bring it in. There are also rules on how much value in goods you can bring after a short and a longer trip. We always have a 5 year warranty here, if I buy from the US it is 1 year. And then later selling it used, you loose at least 10% extra if it’s not bought locally.

So, yeah, we usually buy in Europe unless it’s accessories.
fair enough we must be luck as we have duty free limits , and generally they only tax tobacco at about 400% but if its open and using it they would never know you brought it. Before covid I used to always buy big budget items tax free on holidays. Sorry to hear the govts are slamming you for the extra not good

Upvote 0
While I agree with this, generally, I have grown to appreciate and perhaps rely on the 45MP sensors of the R5 for cropping into tiny warbler photos. As comfortable as an R3 may be in-hand, it cannot do what I need it to at 24MP. Again, that's my use case, and I respect that others' use cases may be met by the R3.
My only problem with that is that the R5 has such a bad time picking the warblers out of the scrub. I was so excited this year at Magee Marsh to have 45mp and found myself struggling at times if the bird was in the bushes (which is where they almost always are with Warblers). I will say the shots I got were phenomenal (and Magee was slow this year), but I think I got more keepers with Warblers when I shot the 1DX II. It's that darn huge focus point for single-point focus. Not sure if I'll use the R3 or R5 at Magee next year, but who knows. I know I was never unhappy with the detail at 20mp with the 1DX II. Another place I'm hoping to see improvement.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
not surprised at the pricing. I mean, the R5 was about that much around here when it became available. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the R3 is at $7k here a week after launch. Not that it matters much to me in real life, I'm just not willing to spend that kind of money on a camera at this time. I'm just annoyed at canon's pricing strategy for the market I'm stuck with.

As for the A1... The R3 does seem like it will spank it in everything except resolution.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
What happened to my 1D X this year made me cautious about buying another €6,000 camera. Although I thought that the shutter would be the first thing to break after a high number of shots, it was the main board that suddenly stopped working. I have read that many 1D X owners had the same problem. One guy even reported that it happened again with his replaced main board. I had to pay more than €600 to get a new main board. That still sounds okay, but I can never be sure when this will happen again. The main reason I bought the 1D X was that I thought it would be reliable and therefore justify the price. If the shutter is rated 400,000 shots and the rest of the camera should last even longer, such a camera should basically work forever, as I take less than 10,000 shots per year. The truth is though that it broke after about 60,000 shots just because of electronics.

My concern is that mirrorless cameras rely on electronics even more. Will Canon really put super reliable electronic components into its new cameras or do they expect professionals to use a camera no longer than five years or so anyway? We see that problem at Apple. Apple does not expect customers to use any of their products for more than five years and their smartphones even much shorter. While I have a lot of trust in Leica for example who would always use the best componenst available in the market, I am not so sure if Canon shares that philosophy. If there is a transistor available for 30 cents that lasts five years and another for 50 cents that lasts twenty years, my fear is that Canon would opt for the cheaper one as five years are "long enough".

Some Canon cameras recently had large problems with heat. Even if the R3 will not have to shut down because of overheating, heat can still lower the life of the electronics significantly. If I was really going to spend over €6,000 on another camera, I want to have trust that it works MUCH longer than the warranty lasts if I handle it very well. What the R3 is capable of would easily satisfy my needs for another ten years of so and after that time I would still love to have it as a backup camera. Can I really have that trust in a camera that even needs electronicy just to use the viewfinder? What if the R3 has some flaws and most bodies will stop working after a few years? How long will the IBIS work and how much will it cost to repair it? After what happened to my 1D X and learning that it happens quite often, I need some time to get back some trust in Canon.
Sorry to hear about your experiance. My personal experience has been just the opposite. My camera's worked long and HARD.

Upvote 0