The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

Jul 21, 2010
Of course, there will be R1. I am sceptical about 1dx4 - for that matter any more DSLRs.
So am I, not sure they’ll be a 1D X IV (as I said, I didn’t suggest there would be).

I do think there will be more low-end DSLRs, though. DSLRs comprise close to half the ILC market, and that portion is dropping at only ~1% per year.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I didn’t buy the R5 but I am going to buy the R3. For me, the ergonomics trump the MP count.
For me it is all about use case. If I was shooting architecture on a tripod i couldn't give two hoots about ergonomics. If I was on the sidelines of an F! race then I would want a big, heavy, stable camera that will handle rain, wind and the occasional piece of flying debris and will have the ability to transfer files at lightning pace. So absolutely you would take an R3 over an R5 or even a Sony A1

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
very interesting to see the price disparity, $6000 usd is $8156aussie and the euro conversion makes it $9794 those Europeans are getting shafted by canon crazy. the $1600 dollar difference you could fly to USA and have a holiday and pay no taxes! apart from Covid meaning we cant even leave our own country. at least until next year some time. You d have to be crazy to buy one in Europe from a dealer.
A couple of things, a camera isn’t the only expensive thing in Europe, it would easily cost more than $1600 to fly to the us and back not counting a visa and hotel etc. The exchange rate is nowadays horrible against the dollar, being 50% higher than ten years ago. Plus you have to take time off work and lose money. On your arrival back you should go though customs with the camera and pay the tax on the US price anyway, can’t just bring it in. There are also rules on how much value in goods you can bring after a short and a longer trip. We always have a 5 year warranty here, if I buy from the US it is 1 year. And then later selling it used, you loose at least 10% extra if it’s not bought locally.

So, yeah, we usually buy in Europe unless it’s accessories.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A couple of things, a camera isn’t the only expensive thing in Europe, it would easily cost more than $1600 to fly to the us and back not counting a visa and hotel etc. The exchange rate is nowadays horrible against the dollar, being 50% higher than ten years ago. Plus you have to take time off work and lose money. On your arrival back you should go though customs with the camera and pay the tax on the US price anyway, can’t just bring it in. There are also rules on how much value in goods you can bring after a short and a longer trip. We always have a 5 year warranty here, if I buy from the US it is 1 year. And then later selling it used, you loose at least 10% extra if it’s not bought locally.

So, yeah, we usually buy in Europe unless it’s accessories.
Are you sure there is always a 5 year warranty? I thought it is generally 2 years - and this seems to be in agreement https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm Our warranties in the UK were 2 years when we were in the EU and haven't changed. The Canon UK store gives 2 years https://store.canon.co.uk/warranty/
Just checked, Canon offers 1 year plus 1 year European extension over the whole of Europe for all of its products but a retailer may offer more https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/warranty_faqs/#tab-content2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the R3 was meant to be the R1 but they changed the name, they still have to develop an R1.
If the R3 was meant to be the R3 and they didn't change the name, they still have to develop an R1.
Either way, they still have to develop an R1.
True, they have to develop an R1 either way. The difference is whether or not they were planning to. If the R3 was originally the R1, then yeah, that's kind of a big deal because then they have to do an R1 when they thought they already had one and wasn't planning on it, if not, then they were planning to do it all along.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Are you sure there is always a 5 year warranty? I thought it is generally 2 years - and this seems to be in agreement https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm Our warranties in the UK were 2 years when we were in the EU and haven't changed. The Canon UK store gives 2 years https://store.canon.co.uk/warranty/
Just checked, Canon offers 1 year plus 1 year European extension over the whole of Europe for all of its products but a retailer may offer more https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/warranty_faqs/#tab-content2
Yes, I’m sure . the manufacturer guarantee is mostly two years, but at least in Norway it’s an additional 3 years “on everything that’s meant to last longer than 2 years”. So basically batteries aren’t included, but all hardware. Phone companies tried to wiggle their way out of it , but phones are deemed to expensive to only last 2 years or 1 years so they’re also included. If every European country has 5 years I don’t know, but we do.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Interesting, although I recall the 1D XIII was a fairly modest update, so there might be an impulse to move onto a mirrorless version a little more quickly. I still think that will partly depend on the reception and uptake of the R3, and (obviously) ongoing feedback from existing users of the pro-bodies.
Valid observations. It will be interesting to see valid R3 comparisons by long time 1Dx users, many of which just have a toe dipped into the mirrorless pool. Will the more rugged, weather sealed R3 be the format that causes die hard 1Dx pros to finally migrate to mirrorless?? No doubt, Canon is hoping the R3 release will help them test the waters against their beloved 1D's. Very much looking fwd, over the next sev months, to in depth reviews from same, somewhat discounting the ambassadors' opinions, for obvious reasons. There are a few that don't really care about the reviews, wanting to form their own opinions by immediately pre-ordering, stating that they'll try the R3 out, with the knowledge they can re-sell it, if it doesn't perform to their demanding , job based, real world expectations. Those are the reviews I want to see.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Yes, I’m sure . the manufacturer guarantee is mostly two years, but at least in Norway it’s an additional 3 years “on everything that’s meant to last longer than 2 years”. So basically batteries aren’t included, but all hardware. Phone companies tried to wiggle their way out of it , but phones are deemed to expensive to only last 2 years or 1 years so they’re also included. If every European country has 5 years I don’t know, but we do.
Wow! That is some warranty......I assume this is only valid for original purchaser???

Upvote 0
And another good point for Norway. Other EU countries don't.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It may. However, it’s been that rate for about 4 years now, so it may not.
Maybe when L lenses are actually ready and available the rate will increase.
It is hard to commit to a system when you go to B&H and there are only 2 L lenses available to order.
What is worse is the adapters are hardly ever in stock, why buy a camera if you are unable to get the lens you want or the adapter for the lens you have.

Upvote 0
I enjoy wildlife photography. My trusty 1DX2 now stays behind. The R5 is my go to camera. The ability to crop and retain detail is a big advantage of high MP files. Canon has to keep pace. A 24 MP sensor in a new $6000.00 camera is a hard sell. JMHO
While I agree in some areas of photography cropping ability is nice and even necessary. On the other side of the coin however some folks don't crop, or if they do don't need dense files. Some people don't want 45 or 50 megapixel files. I own both and use the appropriate tool for the occasion.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Maybe when L lenses are actually ready and available the rate will increase.
It is hard to commit to a system when you go to B&H and there are only 2 L lenses available to order.
What is worse is the adapters are hardly ever in stock, why buy a camera if you are unable to get the lens you want or the adapter for the lens you have.
Given that APS-C cameras comprise 90% of ILC sales, I doubt that increased availability of L-series lenses will make a shred of difference.

Upvote 0