The Canon EOS Ra has been discontinued

Canon should get an award for out much they milked that sensor and processor combo.
Making commercial sense to do so though. Fastest way to get a mirrorless body into the marketplace and would have given a lot of profitability to enable R5/R6 R&D completed. Time for a new body though!

Upvote 0
R6a would make much more sense. The resolution of the Ra is already borderline too high for astrophotography.
Agreed. R6a would be a better price point cf R5a as well. R5a would compete with the dedicated/cooled sensor market.
Unless it's aimed at those shooting wide angle starsscapes with tracker.
Would astrolandscapers want good Ha transmission though?

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014

Please note that Canons Astro-Version "Ra" of the R-body shows strong halos around brighter stars! (Even without any filter) We highly recommend NOT to get a Ra!

I think since then there were some clip filters that mitigate this problem but it shouldn't be there in the first place.

So in my opinion it will not be missed...

What would you use instead?

Upvote 0

MythPlayer

EOS R6 Mark Ⅱ
Sep 7, 2021

Please note that Canons Astro-Version "Ra" of the R-body shows strong halos around brighter stars! (Even without any filter) We highly recommend NOT to get a Ra!

I think since then there were some clip filters that mitigate this problem but it shouldn't be there in the first place.

So in my opinion it will not be missed...
And sensor's "banding" issue

Upvote 0