The Canon High End [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Justin

We don't, as a rule, expect Canon to care about what we think. We wish they did though.

I find myself shooting at low angles to the ground often enough that a swivel screen would help me a great deal. Although in practice I could see using it only 1-5% of the time. So definitely not a deal breaker or maker for me.

bvukich said:
Justin said:
I for one am looking forward to the 5D3. That will be my gravy. 24 mpx, 7D AF qualities, swivel screen (I bet), weather sealed, improved DR, better high iso.

I got approval from the boss (wife) a few months ago to buy a 5D2, but I'm holding out for the 5D3. I really hope it shows up early 2011.

I would prefer no swivel screen, but it will probably have one. There is a non-trivial chunk of target market share that shoots video at a more serious than casual, but less serious than pro, level. These are people that would have a good case for a swivel screen, but maybe can't justify an off camera monitor yet.

I've only bought a camera with a swivel screen once ( PowerShot G3 ), and besides flipping it over for storage, I think I only used it once or twice. There is the argument for macro/above the crowd/ground level shots. But except for high shots, where it obviously doesn't work, I'd prefer to use an angle finder c. But hey, that's just my opinion, and I'm not even in the expected target audience for this class of camera; so I wouldn't expect anyone to care what I think.

Upvote 0
I can't see any cons to having a swivel screen in a 5DIII, other than the perception that it would break easily. It would be very handy both for video, tripod use, low or high shots, or even discreet shooting.

I'm hoping for a 5DIII that will make my decision easy: a killer camera with 7D AF, same resolution as 5DII, better high ISO performance, usable contrast detect AF for video, rack focus for video, 1:1 pixel for 1080p video (crop) and/or pixel binning. Basically better everything :) in the same small package.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Etienne said:
I can't see any cons to having a swivel screen in a 5DIII, other than the perception that it would break easily. It would be very handy both for video, tripod use, low or high shots, or even discreet shooting.

I'm hoping for a 5DIII that will make my decision easy: a killer camera with 7D AF, same resolution as 5DII, better high ISO performance, usable contrast detect AF for video, rack focus for video, 1:1 pixel for 1080p video (crop) and/or pixel binning. Basically better everything :) in the same small package.

Although I believe it might be handy, certainly the reliability will be lower, and it might be more susceptible to moisture intrusion. There is always a trade off.

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

Grendel said:
Canon Rumors said:
5D Mark III

The same person also touched on the 5D Mark III saying it would be slightly higher megapixel than the current 21mp, and offer an AF system in line with the 7D.

Excellent. Lets hope the "slight" increase means 22.1MP (to allow 3x3 binning for videos).
That would be excellent indeed, but will the existing (or replacement) DIGIC IV / V be powerful enough for it? And even if so, how will that affect battery life? Just some questions that we may or may not see answered if it does.

On my wish list is keeping 24/30 fps (eh, what amateur really needs 29.97 Hz anyway) modes. I think those extend the number of codecs needed to be stores in the camera's firmware, but danged if 30Hz isn't a better mode than 60 Hz for runtimes.

About the actual rumor itself...it would suggest Canon is quietly doing the opposite of what Nikon called finding a better balance between ISO and picture size. 15 megapixels is a nice size - sometimes I'd like more but it does outresolve most of my lenses though. You get a few more pictures than with a larger MP count. It's certainly plausible, though I'm not terribly excited about it. Just Canon taking care of business really!

Upvote 0
If Canon would really go that way, 15Mpix full-frame 1DIV replacement, I'm sure it would sell like crazy among wedding photographers (including myself). I'd in fact only prefer them doing it in a more compact camera.

But it's not really Canon's marketing path to go for lower Mpix. Nevertheless, I think it would be a smart move, as Canon has to catch up with Nikon. Nikon only lags behind in the 5DII camera class and will act with a D800 soon. For the rest, they wait until Canon acts and Canon better work hard to match that D3S high ISO performance, which is way beyond anything in Canon's line-up.

Upvote 0
D

dthomasla

A 5Dll for Christmas 2010 rather than a 5Dlll for Christmas 2011 ??

CR reported a while back that one good source said that there would be some big SLR announcements in April, 2011. Now we have trusted sources saying that ALL SLR announcements will be in the second half of 2011 !!

Is this new later timeline for the 5Dlll a "Canon plot" to help Canon dealers sell all their 5Dll inventories this Christmas?...because so many of us waiting for the 5Dlll in April or May can't wait 7-12 months... so we buy the 5Dll now....when in fact the 5Dlll is going to be released in April !!

Aggghhh ! I'm driving myself cracy waiting desperately for the 5Dlll ! Can anybody help me ?

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

dilbert said:
bvukich said:
Justin said:
I for one am looking forward to the 5D3. That will be my gravy. 24 mpx, 7D AF qualities, swivel screen (I bet), weather sealed, improved DR, better high iso.

I got approval from the boss (wife) a few months ago to buy a 5D2, but I'm holding out for the 5D3. I really hope it shows up early 2011.

I would prefer no swivel screen, but it will probably have one. There is a non-trivial chunk of target market share that shoots video at a more serious than casual, but less serious than pro, level. These are people that would have a good case for a swivel screen, but maybe can't justify an off camera monitor yet.

If you're serious about video for "casual use", the 5DII and the 5DIII are not for you. Nor is any video DSLR - or even the smaller video shooting stills cameras. Why?

All of them require a tripod mounted camera to not shoot "wobble cam." The IS technology used in the lenses/sensor mounts is fine for stills photography but it is really bad for video.

To not shoot crappy video with a 5DII, you have to take a professional approach.

So if you want to shoot video and don't want to take a professional approach, get a video camera that costs around the same (or a bit more?) than the 5D series cameras.

And even buying an expensive video camera may not help. I purchased a Panasonic TM700k video camera (about $700) last summer and am absolutely amazed at how difficult shooting wobble-free video is, even on a tripod.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
dilbert said:
All of them require a tripod mounted camera to not shoot "wobble cam." The IS technology used in the lenses/sensor mounts is fine for stills photography but it is really bad for video.

To not shoot crappy video with a 5DII, you have to take a professional approach.

So if you want to shoot video and don't want to take a professional approach, get a video camera that costs around the same (or a bit more?) than the 5D series cameras.

dilbert, I'm going to disagree with you on a few points there, somewhat. the HIS system in the 100 f/2.8 L IS Macro works really well for handheld video. I'm hoping it gets introduced into more short-length lenses to give handheld shooters some more options.

rather than shelling out $3K for a video camera, you can also just buy the 5D II and then get a decent handheld stabilizer unit for about $500. anyone who learns to use a steadicam or glidecam, in conjunction with a tripod, and maybe the cheapo manfrotto 127VS dolly system, can start to make some pretty impressive amateur video.

not saying the $3K video cam isn't a bad idea, but you can do pretty well for video without having to give up your 5DII

Upvote 0
scalesusa said:
Why? Do you think that the 1D MK IV will stop working or making money for you?

Precisely.

I'm also thinking that Canon will likely price the 1DV initially at $5999 and keep selling the 1DIV for a certain transition period for $4000-4500.

They have no choice, since the 1.3x to FF transition will certainly anger some of their customers.
Thus, the 1DIV will have to remain current for a while. It will have to be discontinued eventually, though.

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2010
scalesusa said:
RuneL said:
If they replace the 1D IV next year I'm selling all my Canon junk, buying Nikon and turning into the most disgusting Nikon fanboi - anti-Canon-troll the interwebs has ever seen.

Why? Do you think that the 1D MK IV will stop working or making money for you? Cameras get upgraded all the time.

No, but you do understand that this gear represent a certain investment and you don't invested in shit like this without having some clear idea of depreciation and factoring in the loss in ones accountancy. That is what I'm concerned about, not the camera magically not making me money anymore. Canon has been very steady in update frequency since the 1D.

About the FF debate, meh, don't care, as long as the speed is the same and the pickles stay around where they are now, larger files means more time.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
RuneL said:
scalesusa said:
RuneL said:
If they replace the 1D IV next year I'm selling all my Canon junk, buying Nikon and turning into the most disgusting Nikon fanboi - anti-Canon-troll the interwebs has ever seen.

Why? Do you think that the 1D MK IV will stop working or making money for you? Cameras get upgraded all the time.

No, but you do understand that this gear represent a certain investment and you don't invested in shit like this without having some clear idea of depreciation and factoring in the loss in ones accountancy. That is what I'm concerned about, not the camera magically not making me money anymore. Canon has been very steady in update frequency since the 1D.

About the FF debate, meh, don't care, as long as the speed is the same and the pickles stay around where they are now, larger files means more time.

A camera body is not a investment, its a expense. It will never appreciate in value, and after 3 years will drop to 1/3 or less of its new value. My bookkeeper writes off the purchase of a camera body immediately, as he should. A lens, however, may last for 10 years, even more.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.