The Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM supply issue may not be resolved in 2023

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We knew that the Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM would have stock issues for a while after launch, but it looks like those issues may not be resolved until 2024 according to Canon. The RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM is to be shipped sequentially, but it is expected to take a considerable amount of

See full article...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Bad news for those waiting for those lenses.

Does anybody know if it's the shortage of chips or which parts are missing in the supply chain?
Optical glass production was an issue for a while, no clue anymore.

It may be a mix of things. Today they have the glass, but no chips. Tomorrow they have the chips and glass, but low on plastics and other internal parts.

It's definitely frustrating.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Optical glass production was an issue for a while, no clue anymore.

It may be a mix of things. Today they have the glass, but no chips. Tomorrow they have the chips and glass, but low on plastics and other internal parts.

It's definitely frustrating.
Maybe a cunning psychological plan to increase demand and keep the price high.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, the console makers do it every Christmas season... so it's possible!
There's a technical term for it:
Oxford Dictionary, plural noun: positional goods
  1. goods which are in limited supply and which become more sought after and relatively more expensive as material prosperity increases.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM is to be shipped sequentially, but it is expected to take a considerable amount of time to deliver. Even for customers who have already placed an order, it may be difficult to deliver within 2023.
This has been the status of the lens since late May, just before the first copies shipped.

Upvote 0

Ekpil

Never stop exploring.
CR Pro
Apr 20, 2013
We knew that the Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM would have stock issues for a while after launch, but it looks like those issues may not be resolved until 2024 according to Canon. The RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM is to be shipped sequentially, but it is expected to take a considerable amount of

See full article...
I can wait … but Canon has to give me an idea how long.
Order - Confirmation - estimated delivery time ( Updates weekly) Tesla can do that ;-)

Kaizen (Japanese: 改善, "improvement") is a concept referring to business activities that continuously improve all functions and involve all employees from the CEO to the assembly line workers. Kaizen also applies to processes, such as purchasing and logistics, that cross organizational boundaries into the supply chain.[1]

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I can wait … but Canon has to give me an idea how long.
Order - Confirmation - estimated delivery time ( Updates weekly) Tesla can do that ;-)

Kaizen (Japanese: 改善, "improvement") is a concept referring to business activities that continuously improve all functions and involve all employees from the CEO to the assembly line workers. Kaizen also applies to processes, such as purchasing and logistics, that cross organizational boundaries into the supply chain.[1]
Adorama îs showing an estimated ship date of 9/2023, but a few weeks ago they were showing estimated ship date of 12/2023. My advice is if you want the lens call around to smaller shops and see if they have one in stock. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Adorama îs showing an estimated ship date of 9/2023, but a few weeks ago they were showing estimated ship date of 12/2023. My advice is if you want the lens call around to smaller shops and see if they have one in stock. Good luck!
Adorama and B & H typically take far more preorders than they get in allocations.
In some ways, this is Canon's fault but Canon goes out of its way to stay in the good graces of smaller retailers.
Canon might be screwing Adorama and B & H out of allocations but they really do help them out in terms of support.
I imagine they are getting better prices as well, but I have know way of knowing.

Upvote 0