The Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS will be available globally on January 26, 2023

Dec 13, 2010
First impression is that it’s very nice and smooth IQ, very nice handling. AF definitely faster than the 85, but perhaps a bit slower than I thought comparing to my 24-70. I’m not sure why people claim it’s as sharp as the 85, because it is really not, comparing them wide open, to me it looks softer than the RF50 which is a step behind the 85. IS is kind of slow to me, it’s okay the first couple of seconds, but much better after 5 seconds. But I really like it so far, will be fun to trying it more for the purposes I bought it for to really see what’s what.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I’ll leave my post above, but I take back the things I said about AF and sharpness. If anyone remembers how some of us needed to down- and upgrade firmware because AF suddenly stopped working properly. This happened again, upgraded to 1.8.1 before I got the 135, and today I downgraded to 1.7.0 and it’s a completely different lens. Nails every shot and is substantially sharper. It’s better at tracking by far, but still needs more testing outdoors to conclude.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I’ll leave my post above, but I take back the things I said about AF and sharpness. If anyone remembers how some of us needed to down- and upgrade firmware because AF suddenly stopped working properly. This happened again, upgraded to 1.8.1 before I got the 135, and today I downgraded to 1.7.0 and it’s a completely different lens. Nails every shot and is substantially sharper. It’s better at tracking by far, but still needs more testing outdoors to conclude.
I was wondering what could be happening. Glad I haven't updated to 1.8.1 then!

Upvote 0

2Cents

EOS R5, 1DX mkiii, C70, R5 C
Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
Good news / bad news. B&H finally shipped it after 6 months, it made it all the way to Atlanta, and FedEx lost it. It was checked into the FedEx facility here, and never loaded on a truck for delivery...
Oh no that's friggin terrible. Mine finally showed up 2 weeks ago but I've been traveling. I actually haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. Hopefully they work that out for you quickly.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Yes!! FedEx apparently found it and it was delivered today. Its very fast focusing. Only had an hour or two to try it out. This was with the R3, rf135 at about 12 feet away. Not the best picture but does give some bokeh info, in front and behind.View attachment 210167
Glad it worked out!

Upvote 0

2Cents

EOS R5, 1DX mkiii, C70, R5 C
Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
Yes!! FedEx apparently found it and it was delivered today. Its very fast focusing. Only had an hour or two to try it out. This was with the R3, rf135 at about 12 feet away. Not the best picture but does give some bokeh info, in front and behind.View attachment 210167
Awesome! And great shot! I might get out for a portrait shoot this weekend. Samples will follow if I do.

Upvote 0