The Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM will be announced this year [CR2]

Meh — another too heavy and wrong sized lens for mirrorless. The 35L II really works well on the R's. We'll see what Tamron and Sigma release for RF.

The best lens of its class, but it's an extra 100g!!!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooooo!!!!

Talk about messed up priorities. Do you people even take pictures or just the weigh your lenses?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I know three things for certain about this lens:

1. I want it
2. It will be hideously expensive
3. Production will be so slow that I won’t be able to buy it until late 2022 at the earliest.
Your comment is spot on and am glad you are aware of it. I have been on B&H notification list since Jan, for both the RF28-70 F2L and the RF 100-500. In the case of the RF 28-70, you are talking about a lens that has been out for two yrs and you still can't find ample supplies, unless you are willing to pay MSRP ++ on Ebay and elsewhere. So, it's hard to develop any level of sustained enthusiasm for another new lens you won't be able to get for some time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
It should have been a 35mm 1.4. I thought mirrorless meant smaller lenses. 1.2 is not even necessary at 35mm. Sony got it right with theirs. I wont switch to canon unless they come out with some light 1.4 primes. The 1.8 lenses are a joke with their terrible and slow video auto focus.
I own the 35mm f1.8 and I have had to slow down the autofocus in the camera settings to make it rack slower as it is extremely quick. I use for both photo and video several times per week and it never, ever occurred to me that the focus is slow in either photo or video. For comparison, I also own several L lenses in both RF and EF and the 35 1.8 is not a laggard and weighing in at just 300 grams with macro capability, is worth it for the loss of a small amount of bokeh versus a heavy 1.4 lens.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
It should have been a 35mm 1.4. I thought mirrorless meant smaller lenses. 1.2 is not even necessary at 35mm. Sony got it right with theirs.
That comment is so 2014 and used very briefly when Sony were trying to sell us the "mirrorless dream" then quickly swept under the carpet two years later with the release of the G Masters when everyone complained there was no pro glass.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I own the 35mm f1.8 and I have had to slow down the autofocus in the camera settings to make it rack slower as it is extremely quick. I use for both photo and video several times per week and it never, ever occurred to me that the focus is slow in either photo or video. For comparison, I also own several L lenses in both RF and EF and the 35 1.8 is not a laggard and weighing in at just 300 grams with macro capability, is worth it for the loss of a small amount of bokeh versus a heavy 1.4 lens.
The optical quality of the non-L RF lenses is quite good. The one thing that really bugs me about Canon non-L lenses is the extra $35-50 they charge you for the lens hood. Probably cost them less than $1…

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The best lens of its class, but it's an extra 100g!!!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooooo!!!!

Talk about messed up priorities. Do you people even take pictures or just the weigh your lenses?
Reminds me of road bike fanatics that shave their legs so they'll be more "aerodynamic".

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Silence, Zoolander.

Size and weight is at the extreme bottom of priorities as far as lenses are concerned, unless you're dealing with super telephotos.

You expect me to carry 120 more grams around?!?!?! Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Haha Please.
Jeez.
I'm sorry that is complete nonsense for many people. Size weight and cost are real issues with the new RF lenses, sure a couple of hundred grams might not make a big difference on one lens, when it all adds up and makes the difference between carrying three lenses instead of four lenses it has real impact.

Personally I love the EF 35 f2 IS and own it over the EF 35 f1.4 II L because of size, weight, and cost, oh, and the f2 has IS.... I could buy the L, easily, but then the EF 35 1.4 II L is 15oz more than the f2, that difference between the two lenses is three quarters the weight of my EF 100L Macro! Sure for a couple of hours it makes little difference but for long hikes, big trips, travels, or vacations it makes the difference between taking a lens with you or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Reminds me of road bike fanatics that shave their legs so they'll be more "aerodynamic".
Can't you instead pick on golfers who insist their 'game' is a sport? Correction to your post....It's for massage, ease of cleaning road rash and of course fashion, because we look so sexy.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Can't you instead pick on golfers who insist their 'game' is a sport? Correction to your post....It's for massage, ease of cleaning road rash and of course fashion, because we look so sexy.
Interesting. How many of us photographers are also really in to biking? I know several photographers in real life who are also in to biking. Maybe there is some causal link between the two hobbies.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nothing sexier in the world than tanned, smooth, shiny men's legs. :ROFLMAO:

Hey, even curling is a "sport". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
OK I know this is a ridiculous tangent but I couldn't help myself:
- I know a lot more cyclists who do it because "tradition". I do it because when I crashed in a race, road rash was bad, but when I was out of race season and had hairy legs, and got hit by a car, the extra grit that got caught in the leg hair was horrendous..
- The fact that someone has actually measured the aero affects of leg hair blows my mind, and if you have 4 minutes to spare, I recommend it:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Interesting. How many of us photographers are also really in to biking? I know several photographers in real life who are also in to biking. Maybe there is some causal link between the two hobbies.
Used to be heavily into mtb.... Then got kicked out for smelling seats. Just wanted to check how the leather was holding up, then everyone decided to freak out. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I still don't get why they're targeting this focal length first when the current EF 35mm f1.4L ii is already their best moderate-wide-angle prime. Why not go for a stellar 24 mm? If I owned an RF body, I wouldn't feel much need to get this as I already have the EF 35mm f1.4Lii and it has worked great adapted the times I've rented equipment.

The only situation where I'd feel a significant benefit is if they somehow managed to make a lens that greatly improves on flaring, as shooting backlit with the EF 35mm often times leaves little ghosts in the image that are a pain.
Personally I shoot a lot of editorial/environmental portraits and often use a 35mm perspective. Shallow depth of field on a wide angle lens is less pronounced so a faster 1.2 is greatly appreciated and 24mm is too distorted for most portrait applications depending on subject distance. So I would much prefer the address the 35 before the 24. I do I think I saw a reference to an RF 24 1.2 in CR if I’m not mistaken do you’ll see that lens eventually.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Why didn’t you like the R5? Because You need to record long oversampled videos?
Hmmmm? Where did I say that? I love my R5! Which I use with a number of lenses...

I wrote that I did not like the EF 35mm f/1.4L mkI on the R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0